Paul Cook

That voice though.......I would prefer myself another coach from abroad,providing we could find the right type....Nothing against Cook,but he comes from a relegated Championship side,& personally i wouldn't accept a job where i felt i was second best....

1 minute ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I doubt they'll have been involved in discussions regarding transfer targets, budgets, late wages etc.

Probably not.

But does that matter? Give it them until the end of the season. They’ve seen managers come and go, they’re employed by the chairman - they’ll now exactly what they’re getting with him.

Much better than a new man coming in and being surprised like every other manager who has been and gone. 

18 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Foreign managers have proven to work with him 

One foreign manager has. At a time where we were splashing money like it was going out of fashion.

Jos might have done but he was an absolute disaster. Bloke banned mushrooms and alienated two of our better players at the time.

Hardly a proven track record of working with foreign managers.

Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

One foreign manager has. At a time where we were splashing money like it was going out of fashion.

Jos might have done but he was an absolute disaster. Bloke banned mushrooms and alienated two of our better players at the time.

Hardly a proven track record of working with foreign managers.

Not the mushrooms lol forgot about that 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Probably not.

But does that matter? Give it them until the end of the season. They’ve seen managers come and go, they’re employed by the chairman - they’ll now exactly what they’re getting with him.

Much better than a new man coming in and being surprised like every other manager who has been and gone. 

Yes, it matters in so far as them knowing exactly how Chansiri operates - I doubt they really do unless they've been directly involved in those kind of discussions with him.

I also don't see that Thompson and Bullen are the only people able to work under the chairman. As much as Chansiri's management of the club hamstrings any manager, I'm sure there will be others out there who could work with him or 'manage' him at least. Carvalhal did, for one.

As we're now in the transfer window and our recruitment must be spot on, I'd rather have a relatively experienced manager with a proven track record; a decent contacts book ready to draw on; and a familiar coaching team poised to sign alongside him.

But if you think Thompson is the best man for the job, then fair enough.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Yes, it matters in so far as them knowing exactly how Chansiri operates - I doubt they really do unless they've been directly involved in those kind of discussions with him.

I also don't see that Thompson and Bullen are the only people able to work under the chairman. As much as Chansiri's management of the club hamstrings any manager, I'm sure there will be others out there who could work with him or 'manage' him at least. Carvalhal did, for one.

As we're now in the transfer window and our recruitment must be spot on, I'd rather have a relatively experienced manager with a proven track record; a decent contacts book ready to draw on; and a familiar coaching team poised to sign alongside him.

But if you think Thompson is the best man for the job, then fair enough.

So you think behind the scenes the manager has never discussed what the chairman has said with either Thompson or Bullen? Come on, of course they have. Even we know he must be difficult to work for, so two members of the coaching staff who have been there since the very start of his ownership will know far more than us. 

Do you really think we’ll be relying on the managers contact book for signings? DC has already said we’re talking to players and we don’t have a manager! We will sign whoever the recruitment team present to the chairman and the manager if we have one in time. 

3 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

So you think behind the scenes the manager has never discussed what the chairman has said with either Thompson or Bullen? Come on, of course they have. Even we know he must be difficult to work for, so two members of the coaching staff who have been there since the very start of his ownership will know far more than us. 

Do you really think we’ll be relying on the managers contact book for signings? DC has already said we’re talking to players and we don’t have a manager! We will sign whoever the recruitment team present to the chairman and the manager if we have one in time. 

I didn't say that, no. 

I think hearing stories from the manager and then being faced with it yourself and having to decide in the blink of an eye how to respond so as to say the right thing / get your point across without causing offence are two very different things. 

The manager is part of the recruitment team, as they and the chairman have told us many times. Just a coupls of days ago, Chansiri discussed how Pulis was involved in the recruitment process:

He worked with our recruitment team on who he wants to bring in on loan or transfer. I said do it. Our people always start to work on the players a few weeks ago. Some we sent offers in until the window opened. I still allowed him to do what he wants.

No matter who the manager is, this squad doesn't have sufficient depth or balance to see us comfortably through the rest of the season.

Sending the remnants of the recruitment team out to recruit to no particular pattern, plan or system doesn't seem like the best use of our meagre resources to me.

It'd be much better to have a permanent manager in place in order to help define the parameters of the task at hand.

It would be the worst of both worlds to recruit players without a particular plan in mind, replace Thompson when results inevitably tail off, and have a new manager who doesn't really fancy the players we just blew our limited funds on.

14 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

The addition of Alonso to the list of advisors tells me that we’re going back to the days where players are brought in and the manager more likely head coach works with them?

Cook and Cowley are managers so even though they may be being considered I would be amazed if either got the job?

I think the likes of Jemez, Olsen, Torrent and Viera in the betting may be due to potential links with Alonso?

Personally I think DC may go down the route of exploiting the potential contacts of his latest advisor?

The plus point now is Thompson’s good work this week gives him time to consider his options carefully?

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Jim said:

The addition of Alonso to the list of advisors tells me that we’re going back to the days where players are brought in and the manager more likely head coach works with them?

Cook and Cowley are managers so even though they may be being considered I would be amazed if either got the job?

I think the likes of Jemez, Olsen, Torrent and Viera in the betting may be due to potential links with Alonso?

Personally I think DC may go down the route of exploiting the potential contacts of his latest advisor?

The plus point now is Thompson’s good work this week gives him time to consider his options carefully?

Alonso has been working as an advisor for the past year, according to Chansiri.