Paul Cook

5 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

and some wonderful young players in Portugal right now Not a bad direction to go

Except with the new Working rules now in place after Brexit,unlikely to get work permits for the cheap options.

Edited by oakleyrob

6 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Cook’s a useful manager. Certainly in the lower leagues. Also did a decent job at Wigan considering the budget and quality he had to work with. 

This would be the biggest job he’s had and it’s a tough one with our current situation. Off field issues and the weakest squad we’ve had in the last 5 years. 

I’m 50/50 on him. He seems confident and passionate enough to come in and galvanise the squad, but I also wouldn’t be surprised if it was all too much for him.

In my own view, he has all the qualities and experience that we saw in Paul Jewell when he became our manager.  Look what happened then.

8 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Cook’s a useful manager. Certainly in the lower leagues. Also did a decent job at Wigan considering the budget and quality he had to work with. 

This would be the biggest job he’s had and it’s a tough one with our current situation. Off field issues and the weakest squad we’ve had in the last 5 years. 

I’m 50/50 on him. He seems confident and passionate enough to come in and galvanise the squad, but I also wouldn’t be surprised if it was all too much for him.

Any blades fan could have said very similar comments when they appointed wilder.

5 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

I’m sure Jewell had only managed Bradford before he came here. Cook is far more experienced and had more success to be fair. 

You are right, and after us he did go and do great things at Wigan, but after which he kept getting other jobs and  being  sacked or resigning.

9 minutes ago, sonofbert2 said:

Bruno Lage.

Lump on!  I can smell it.

CC’s assistant, knows the chairman and club and some players as well as CC’s go to man - Paixao.

Managed at a much higher level since and currently out of work.

Bruno Lage has a very interesting (if short) coaching career record:

Half a season with Benfica B, where he was doing well and challenging for the title in the Portuguese second division, at which point he was appointed Benfica first team manager (Jan 2019). They are 4th in the league - although going very well and in touch with the leaders (10 wins, 2 draws, 3 defeats before he joined). He then proceeds to win 18 out of the last 19 games, drawing the other one, smashing in goals for fun - 70 goals in 18 games, including a 10-0 over Nacional, to clinch the title by 2 points from Porto. Dave Jones on steroids.

That season Benfica had come third in their Champions League group, so had dropped down into the Europa League by the time Lage took over. He knocked out Galatasaray and Dinamo Zagreb, before going down to Eintract Frankfurt on away goals in the Quarter Final.

Next season, despite selling Joao Felix for megabucks to Atletico Madrid, the incredible form continues - they win 18 of their first 19 games in the league, and very nearly progress in their Champions League Group (beating Zenit and Lyon at home, but two injury time goals in Leipzig cost them). Then, either side of the pandemic, their form drops off a cliff. From 18 wins in 19 up to the start of Feb, their next 10 games see 2 wins, 4 draws, 4 defeats. Plus a defeat to Shaktar in the Europe League.

Obviously they don't have much patience at Benfica, as Lage was sacked after that. But, 80% of his 18 months there was incredibly successful.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

Bruno Lage has a very interesting (if short) coaching career record:

Half a season with Benfica B, where he was doing well and challenging for the title in the Portuguese second division, at which point he was appointed Benfica first team manager (Jan 2019). They are 4th in the league - although going very well and in touch with the leaders (10 wins, 2 draws, 3 defeats before he joined). He then proceeds to win 18 out of the last 19 games, drawing the other one, smashing in goals for fun - 70 goals in 18 games, including a 10-0 over Nacional, to clinch the title by 2 points from Porto. Dave Jones on steroids.

That season Benfica had come third in their Champions League group, so had dropped down into the Europa League by the time Lage took over. He knocked out Galatasaray and Dinamo Zagreb, before going down to Eintract Frankfurt on away goals in the Quarter Final.

Next season, despite selling Joao Felix for megabucks to Atletico Madrid, the incredible form continues - they win 18 of their first 19 games in the league, and very nearly progress in their Champions League Group (beating Zenit and Lyon at home, but two injury time goals in Leipzig cost them). Then, either side of the pandemic, their form drops off a cliff. From 18 wins in 19 up to the start of Feb, their next 10 games see 2 wins, 4 draws, 4 defeats. Plus a defeat to Shaktar in the Europe League.

Obviously they don't have much patience at Benfica, as Lage was sacked after that. But, 80% of his 18 months there was incredibly successful.

And you really have to take into account that he was working at a higher level in both the same country and in Europe as his old “boss”.

42 minutes ago, Owls Loyal said:

WhiteOwl91 ducks the issue.

Monk had nearly three times the wage budget of that available to Paul Cook at Wigan Athletic.

The other big difference is that Cook has won serial promotions with different clubs whereas Monk has won sweet FA.

Not likely to have League 1 promotions on your C.V when youve only managed in the PL, Europa League and Championship.

3 minutes ago, 83owl said:

Not likely to have League 1 promotions on your C.V when youve only managed in the PL, Europa League and Championship.

Monk would probably be a better manager if he had started at a lower level and had time to learn his craft and improve his man-management skills.

As it is - 5 clubs in 7 seasons, and 4 sackings. He'll struggle to get another job in the Championship, maybe one of the relegation battlers at best.

• Like 1

Yes, I agree with Emerson Thome.

An accident of chance saw Monk take over at Premier League Swansea City and then after a year or so get fired.

I do think Monk would have done far better to start lower down and learn his trade as a manager.

That is another thing that impresses me about Paul Cook.

He was preared to start at Sligo Rovers and he achieved success.

Since then it has been onwards and upwards.

39 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

I’m sure Jewell had only managed Bradford before he came here. Cook is far more experienced and had more success to be fair. 

Jewell had just got Bradford promoted to the Prem when we hired him. It didn't work out but it wasn't a "Who? What?!" decision at the time...

I am not sure that there have been many sackings in the Championship so far this season so jobs have been few and far between.

Watford was one but they nearly always go for a Spanish manager which seems to be the Pozzo preference.

Forest had clearly lined up Chris Hughton already.

Guest gizowl
1 hour ago, bladeshater said:

Everybody as idea on who they would prefer but unless you sat down had 1 or 2 conversations with the person you have identified you can't make a decision 

The most worrying thing for us is when the candidate comes for a interview with Chansiri and piaxos, it could scar you for life and take up a new career.