Monk has made a right mess of our squad

4 minutes ago, victorturner said:

Yes. Although Paterson was a strange choice. Dunkley  must be good to justify buying with  badly broken leg.

Brown had injury problems so a gamble by Monk. Pelupessy being bought under Jos (did he choose him?) was another waste of money. Wasn't  JVA bought by Carlos ( did he choose him?) ? 

I guess Paterson is a squad filler, a utility player and we needed bodies.

Dunkley, probably good if/when fit. Will either be good signing or a terrible one.

Brown is a good player bit never fit, ask leeds.

19 minutes ago, 0114 said:

The players we signed on paper I was happy with. 

However Kachunga was signed as a striker and his only meaningful season at this level he was a RW. 

Brown was signed and is a natural 10 player but we don’t play with a 10. 

Paterson is clearly best operating as a CM, upfront he looks poor. Strange he was signed with the intention of being our main striker. 

Negligent of the entire recruitment team to not recruit a LB, CDM and 2 proper strikers. 

How is it negligent of the recruitment team to not sign a left back??

Garry Monk played 3-5-2 he didn't use fullbacks or he would've brought one in.

Garry Monk tells the recruitment team what positions he wants, not the other way around.

23 minutes ago, Bigger Guns said:

No the strikers aren’t as good as the ones we’ve let go. However at a guess I’d say we’ve almost halved the wage bill which is something we’ve had to do because we had no structure in place before and overspent. Not monks fault.

We tried to keep Fletcher and he didn’t want to stay. The others weren’t really contributing or good enough were they.

I’d love for you to provide an example of a manager that has improved the squad whilst halving the wage bill, losing his top three goal scorers, having no money to spend and trying to attract new players on -12 points. 

I have a sneaking suspicion that you won’t be able to provide an example.

Stop blaming monk and blame the idiot in charge.

Mostly correct. Chansiri has allowed millions to be wasted.

GM tried to keep SF. But GM made some questionable weak acquisitions esp last summer.

Not sure Bruce did us any favours with Odebajo.

The waste of money started with paying too much for Reach ( not good enough for Boro) and then that string of on loan wingers under CC who played v few matches and the fortune spent on over the hill strikers Hooper and Rhodes. Also those two midfielders from Burnley Jones and Boyd on retirement packages. Wasting money started under CC although he may not have chosen the players who came in. Didn't he or somebody pay millions for JVA?

7 minutes ago, billyblack said:

I guess Paterson is a squad filler, a utility player and we needed bodies.

Dunkley, probably good if/when fit. Will either be good signing or a terrible one.

Brown is a good player bit never fit, ask leeds.

If we wanted bodies, better to get a couple of surplus squad players from Bramall Lane where at least the quality could be more easily assessed by actually watching them. We seem to be flying blind. 

3 minutes ago, Lucas Joao's Tooth said:

How is it negligent of the recruitment team to not sign a left back??

Garry Monk played 3-5-2 he didn't use fullbacks or he would've brought one in.

Garry Monk tells the recruitment team what positions he wants, not the other way around.

He openly wanted to keep Fox, who was a LB. When he left, he should have been replaced.

Negligent of every single person involved in the process of signings to not adequately replace a key player from last season. 

A system that uses wing backs, 99% of the time uses attacking full backs as the wing backs. Monk used a system with wingers in the role and it constantly left us open out wide.

Are the new signings good or bad signings?  When Monk signed them there were lots on Owlstalk singing their praises and getting overly excited but seem to be very critical / experts now!  Just asking for a friend with tin hat at the ready!

1 hour ago, TheEnchanter said:

He actually has. And his hands were tied by our inept chairman. It's the knock on effect of years of mismanagement. 

Tony has a right job on. Not many managers are getting more than a few goals out of this attacking set up. January cannot come quick enough. I believe we will go out and get 2-3 forwards to save us. Or else we know we'll be Tonys first relegation in 30 years of management. 

Tell you what, I’m hoping he’s money to spend because if he hasn’t we are well and truly rogered!

I reckon he’ll have some coin to spend though, I don’t think he’d have took the job if not... and if DC decides he’s not giving him any then he’ll walk. 

Monk having decided to play 3-5-2 should’ve looked to recruit accordingly. He didn’t and that’s why we’re f***ed.

Pulis will try his best to get a tune out of what he’s inherited. Firstly we’ll have solidity and a shape to the team as we’re already seeing. Making us hard to beat is the priority first and foremost.

I think if we can get anything between 7-15 points from the next 7 games or so then it’s a start. Getting one or two forwards who are tailored to how Pulis wants to play is a must in January. As I’ve said before I have every confidence in him to do what’s necessary to get the job done here.

7 minutes ago, james o connor said:

People still so thick to blame

monk . The problem is chansiri Jesus wept . It’s not rocket science to see where the issue lies . Chansiri is an utter Baffoon and the soul reason we are in this mess 

Why did monk leave boro squad in same mess ? Was that someone else’s fault aswel !

31 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

He clearly didn't see Paterson as his ideal signing, and we only turned to him after Leko and Zahore (among others, I'd wager) turned us down.

At a certain point, I imagine it was a case of Paterson or nobody.

Nobody then.  He should have said no to several players.  

I think we're at a crossroads as a club. Like his style or not I think TP is one of the few experienced managers who would come to us, a bit like Bruce, and (hopefully) get us out of the s**t.  He doesn't seem like the type of guy to stand by and be humiliated.  If he doesn't like what's happening I expect him to leave, and that's what GM should have done if he didn't like what was happening.  If TP walks I think we are in deep poo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GMOwl72 said:

Well he must of stood by and took his wage whilst they were. Total lack of respect for him if so. Our recruitment has been shocking.

And his other choice was??...why should he have walked and lost his pay off for things not allegedly his doing,or his fault?

Missing key players 

flint windass iorfa in this team and we’re different set pieces abs another outlet up top 

still not good enough but we have a bit more threat 

dunkley we can only imagine he would add to our defensive options and set pieces but Christ what a bizarre signing considering we could have actually signed him in January 

14 minutes ago, marc_82 said:

Why did monk leave boro squad in same mess ? Was that someone else’s fault aswel !

(Smacks head against wall) whether monk is a good or bad manager , we are skint , in an utter mess and would have signed this dross whether we had Klopp or monk or whoever . When will the penny drop that this crap squad and relegation is just the tip of the iceberg 

Edited by james o connor
  • Like 2