Monk has made a right mess of our squad

2 minutes ago, Orlando_Trustful said:

Worst squad we've had in years. The Stuart Gray team would ******** all over this lot. 

True.

For all the tens of millions of pounds spent, we've regressed.

The bulk of the money frittered away occurred when Carlos was here.

And in spite of all our forwards, we never got the best out of them because we were always covering up.

15 hours ago, TheEnchanter said:

He actually has. And his hands were tied by our inept chairman. It's the knock on effect of years of mismanagement. 

Tony has a right job on. Not many managers are getting more than a few goals out of this attacking set up. January cannot come quick enough. I believe we will go out and get 2-3 forwards to save us. Or else we know we'll be Tonys first relegation in 30 years of management. 

Well you do know we've got a knack of ending long standing records, ask Wycombe fans (first and only Championship win ever) or PNE fans (first and only point at home this season). 

20 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Who have been our problem players this season showing poor form ?

Westwood and Dawson - neither signed by monk

Rhodes- signed by carlos

harris - signed by bruce

Van aken - signed by carlos

Of the new players, patterson, Windass both done ok. The two youngsters dele and adedoyin are young squad fillers. Flint injured, Marriot injured , Brown mainly injured. 

really the only player looking like a bad buy is kachunga but early days. 

Fair points.

Monk had nothing like the ackers to spend that Carlos had.

The lack of balance in the squad, and the sheer number of players signed, was totally and utterly down to Carlos.

The managers who've followed the Portuguese have been on relatively short commons.

15 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Brown and Kachunga - both highlighted by Monk and his team. 

Windass - Monk wanted to sign him permanently following his loan spell. 

Paterson I think will prove a good player in our midfield, did well against Swansea. I can see why Pulis tried him up front today, but this is certainly not his position. 

Flint and Marriott - rotten luck with injuries. Quite clear Marriott was option number 2 after we failed to sign Zohore - Pulis had said as much. 

Dele-Bashiru harmless punt on a player with good qualities. Was never going to play first team.

The failure to sign a left back is down to Monk because he insisted playing with wing backs - so didn’t feel the need to buy one.

The failure to sign good strikers is down to Monk. And the failure to bolster the midfield is down to Monk - Kachunga and Brown both his signings. 

The man leaves us with a worse legacy than Carlos. Signing players to suit a ridiculous 3-5-2 formation which we full well knew last season when we tried it was absolutely dire and didn’t get results.

Monk has fvvcked us over.

Spot on.

We were hamstrung by the obvious... no money and a 12 point deduction making us the most unappealing side to come to in the division. Any fans that think or thought otherwise in the summer are/were completely deluded.

However... this insistence of Monk to recruit around his 3-5-2 system was always going to be the second bullet in the kneecap. It makes us completely inflexible and now leaves us in the unenviable, and indeed scandalous position, of having to play JvA at left back and Paterson up front at times.

I personally firmly believe Monk made the signings he made because he thought it would help him to keep his job. Not because they're good, but because there would be no flexibility or options for any replacement manager to work with. "My way or you're f*cked" attitude with recruitment. And I genuinely believe that.

9 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I'm not sure who Bruce vetoed, but he signed Odubajo and Harris, neither of whom have proven to be good signings so far, and are both part of this mess of a squad we have, alongside signings from Luhukay, Carvalhal and Monk. There's a common denominator in the background driving all this, of course.

If Monk had vetoed all the suggested signings we could both afford and convince to join in the summer, we'd have gone into the season with only Jordan Rhodes to select up front, not to mention being short of cover in midfield and defence as well. No manager would do that - they'd all accept the players the club could get once push came to shove, as they simply have to have enough players to make up a squad.

Hopefully Pulis and the recruitment team are able to pull a few rabbits out of the hat in January, and perhaps the chairman might be able to spend a bit more in order to attract better quality than he did in recent seasons.

Fingers crossed, eh?

I believe you’ve missed my point. Monk has created this mess mainly because of the positions he recruited players for - we now have too many players for certain positions and too few or none for others. If we have to shop at football’s equivalent of Aldi then that’s where we have to shop but at least buy sensibly. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shandypants said:

I believe you’ve missed my point. Monk has created this mess mainly because of the positions he recruited players for - we now have too many players for certain positions and too few or none for others. If we have to shop at football’s equivalent of Aldi then that’s where we have to shop but at least buy sensibly. 

In the grand scheme of things, Monk didn't create this mess - Chansiri did.

That we were unable to recruit the players we needed is mostly down to the circumstances Chansiri has created.

Monk recruited for the system he wanted to play. If he wasn't planning on using full-backs, then it makes little sense to sign them just in case he loses his job and the club go in an entirely different direction.

The fact that we allowed him to recruit for his system, then sacked him and brought in a manager who wants to use a system which requires players we don't have is also a symptom of the lack of coherent vision, structure and planning which stems from the very top of our club.

I'm not absolving Monk of all responsibility in this - he played his part, just like Carvalhal, Luhukay and Bruce before him, but the current state of our squad is not down to him and him alone; in fact it's not even mostly down to him.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, shandypants said:

Correct. It’s like you’re planning to have beans on toast for tea. So you nip to Aldi and the beans are on offer in packs of four. So you buy two lots , 8 tins but forget to get the bread and the butter. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Emilianenko said:

Correct. It’s like you’re planning to have beans on toast for tea. So you nip to Aldi and the beans are on offer in packs of four. So you buy two lots , 8 tins but forget to get the bread and the butter. 

And then get on the wrong bus, before jumping off into on coming traffic.....to complete the analogy. lol

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Emilianenko said:

To torture the metaphor a little more, it's like you’re planning to have beans on toast for tea. So you nip to Aldi and the beans are on offer in packs of four but you don't have the money for them. So you buy a tin of cannellini beans and some ketchup in the hope that you can fashion a passable approximation of some actual baked beans and nobody will notice.

Then on the way to the checkout, you realise you didn't get any bread and butter, but because your chairman earned your club a points deduction, the bread and butter refuse to get into your basket and would rather remain a free agent or sign for chuffing Millwall instead!

:duntmatter:

Edited by areNOTwhatTHEYseem

1 hour ago, GMOwl72 said:

My point was more about the collusion involved given that you implied Monk had the strength to simply walk away from Leeds. He didn’t he left because he had already lined up a job at Boro. 

I didn't imply it, said it,think your clutching at straws here,monk(like many in football) is a very wealthy man, & wouldn't need for financial reasons(as an example) to line up a job,before leaving for another....It would only be a matter of choice,of fancying one job,more than the other..

I didn't myself see it,as 'balls' or 'courage' others used that term...I merely responded that managers rarely,if ever 'walk'...but wait to be removed...I  dont consider the factors at S6 causing manager 'failure' are down to monk....

I just think the whole situation eventually got top side of him and after that his demise was inevitable...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcmigo said:

Rhodes- signed by carlos

harris - signed by bruce

Of the new players, patterson, Windass both done ok. The two youngsters dele and adedoyin are young squad fillers. Flint injured, Marriot injured , Brown mainly injured. 

Why people want to lump on monk,when the bigger issues are obvious,is beyond me...he is simply allegedly the latest scapegoat in my view

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

To torture the metaphor a little more, it's like you’re planning to have beans on toast for tea. So you nip to Aldi and the beans are on offer in packs of four but you don't have the money for them. So you buy a tin of cannellini beans and some ketchup in the hope that you can fashion a passable approximation of some actual baked beans and nobody will notice.

Then on the way to the checkout, you realise you didn't get any bread and butter, but because your chairman earned your club a points deduction, the bread and butter refuse to get into your basket and would rather remain a free agent or sign for chuffing Millwall instead!

:duntmatter:

Total garbage. Beans are a lot cheaper than ketchup and cannellinu beans. 

Maybe he could have bought margarine instead of butter and got Beattie to work his magic on it.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Spondon Owl said:

Anyone trying to move the blame away from Monk needs their bumps feeling. Awful manager built an awful squad. 

Thats just it,he didn't though did he?.....Westwood,Rhodes,Dawson,Wildsmith,Bannan,Van Aken,Lee's,PP, Harris,Hutchinson,FF, Odubajo,they wernt his signings were they? just had to somehow draw a team out of a squad of other managers choices....

YES some players were eventually brought in under monks stewardship,but as many have referenced,do people really believe the signings were players monk wanted? OR were they the players available and prepared to come here?...Thats a very different choice isnt it?....

1 hour ago, mcmigo said:

Rhodes- signed by carlos

harris - signed by bruce

So out of the eight players you have quoted that Monk has signed. Only two are just doing ok. Hardly glowing is it.

8 minutes ago, parajack said:

Thats just it,he didn't though did he?.....Westwood,Rhodes,Dawson,Wildsmith,Bannan,Van Aken,Lee's,PP, Harris,Hutchinson,FF, Odubajo,they wernt his signings were they? just had to somehow draw a team out of a squad of other managers choices....

YES some players were eventually brought in under monks stewardship,but as many have referenced,do people really believe the signings were players monk wanted? OR were they the players available and prepared to come here?...Thats a very different choice isnt it?....

That’s what all managers do, inherit players. 

Monk inherited a squad that was in the top ten. He then steered them to the relegation zone. But wait till he has his own staff and players you all said. Yes he then left us in a bigger mess. 

7 minutes ago, Emilianenko said:

Total garbage. Beans are a lot cheaper than ketchup and cannellinu beans. 

Maybe he could have bought margarine instead of butter and got Beattie to work his magic on it.

Both analogy's(though amusing) are of course so far off the mark,to be unrecognisable......monk wasnt able to get a tune out of this group of players,Niether after some initial success could Jos....Bruce in his short time here,tried and failed to do so also.....Now we have TP in the S6 managergoround.....

Personally i expect him to initiate a mass clear out(started by monk) not just tinker around the edges,maybe keep Patterson & Flint & Wildsmith

Dont see BB getting another contract,or JR....niether will WW..Dawson should be loaned out,or sold..& so on...

To focus on the managers is to me completely wrong......Evidence? well we still see 'poor old Jordon Rhodes' posts...& before TP came multiple posts on how JR would come good now,with a team set up to deliver the right  service....

For the first time i realised some on here still believe in 'Santa',       problems been there to see on the pitch for all to see.....but some still dont see it....Players simply not allegedly good enough...  

Some still cant see it....or simply prefer to blame monk...