Monk has made a right mess of our squad

Said many times 

Monk should have been giving the boot last season 

The 'rebuild' needed someone with contacts and experience 

The decision to back monk with transfers and his own staff cost us another season 

It was obvious after monk signed da Cruz that he didn't have a clue about signing talent 

Monk said he'd been wanting da Cruz for a long time, so he's either lying and it was forced upon him or he did have a say in signings 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

That's just not an option when you have to drag a squad through a long, hard Championship season though, is it?

Thanks to the number who left, we needed bodies through the door.

The fact that we had a grand total of £1m to spend and a points deduction to entice players our way meant that we just about signed the numbers we needed, but fell way short of the quality required, I'm afraid.

Our transfer dealings have been horrendous for a while now - only Iorfa stands out as a bargain, and of course we've only recouped a fraction of our outlay in incoming fees.

The squad we have today is a a Frankenstein's monster, stitched together from the dying embers of a once-strong team and topped up with cheap signings and loan players, none of whom seem to fit into a coherent whole.

Monk wasn't able to swim against the tide caused by our chairman's actions, but he's far from the root cause of our problems.

I’m not saying Monk is the root cause of our problems - I, along with 99% of Wednesdayites know that Chansiri is; what I’m saying is that Monk left our squad in a right old state. Our squad is only one part of our problems and that part is down to Monk IMO. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, shandypants said:

I’m not saying Monk is the root cause of our problems - I, along with 99% of Wednesdayites know that Chansiri is; what I’m saying is that Monk left our squad in a right old state. Our squad is only one part of our problems and that part is down to Monk IMO. 

I think it's more down to Chansiri.

Our squad was already a state when Monk took over thanks to several years of scattergun recruitment with no coherent plan.

He and the rest of the recruitment team were tasked with reducing costs first and foremost, which coupled with a points deduction, made it very difficult to recruit proven quality in the summer.

You don't think Monk got the players he really wanted during the summer, do you? He had to accept what the chairman could afford and convince to join our sinking ship.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Our squad was already a state when Monk took over thanks to several years of scattergun recruitment with no coherent plan.

He and the rest of the recruitment team were tasked with reducing costs first and foremost, which coupled with a points deduction, made it very difficult to recruit proven quality in the summer.

You don't think Monk got the players he really wanted during the summer, do you? He had to accept what the chairman could afford and convince to join our sinking ship.

No, but, but to return to my earlier point, he had the ability to veto signings- he said so himself. I get all of your points including the one about numbers but he should have had the balls to say no; Bruce did and I’m sure Pulis will.  

21 minutes ago, shandypants said:

But Monk also inherited a large majority of that poor, aging, troublesome squad. It's not all Monks fault. 

There are players in our squad that are vastly overrated and over hyped. We need to be realistic about the whole situation. The 'current' results are down to Pulis and his style of play. 

Some on here state that we had a decent squad but poor manager in Monk. But the same squad is now poor under a great Pulis. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

It’s not just recruitment, it’s the way Chansiri lets players contracts run out and then just leave.

For Forestieri, Hooper, Fletcher, Fox, Winnall, Nuhiu, Lee, Hutchinson to all leave the club for nothing and it looks like they’ll be joined by Bannan, Reach, Rhodes, Westwood, Palmer, van Aken and Lees this summer is complete mismanagement and incompetence. And that’s not down to Monk.

Until we get a new owner or at least a CEO or

DoF to sort out contracts and recriutment things won’t improve 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Nearly all football clubs have recruitment teams these days. 

Heck, Liverpool have a recruitment team who present Jurgen Klopp with a number of options and he picks the one he wants to go for. 

I do not believe for one minute that we simply sign players and then impose them on the manager. Those implying that are talking out of their backside imo. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Nearly all football clubs have recruitment teams these days. 

Heck, Liverpool have a recruitment team who present Jurgen Klopp with a number of options and he picks the one he wants to go for. 

I do not believe for one minute that we simply sign players and then impose them on the manager. Those implying that are talking out of their backside imo. 

There is absolute no basis whatsoever for the accusations thrown around on here that signings were imposed on monk. 

Its nonsense and it creates a fractious environment for no reason. 

1 minute ago, shandypants said:

No, but, but to return to my earlier point, he had the ability to veto signings- he said so himself. I get all of your points including the one about numbers but he should have had the balls to say no; Bruce did and I’m sure Pulis will.  

I'm not sure who Bruce vetoed, but he signed Odubajo and Harris, neither of whom have proven to be good signings so far, and are both part of this mess of a squad we have, alongside signings from Luhukay, Carvalhal and Monk. There's a common denominator in the background driving all this, of course.

If Monk had vetoed all the suggested signings we could both afford and convince to join in the summer, we'd have gone into the season with only Jordan Rhodes to select up front, not to mention being short of cover in midfield and defence as well. No manager would do that - they'd all accept the players the club could get once push came to shove, as they simply have to have enough players to make up a squad.

Hopefully Pulis and the recruitment team are able to pull a few rabbits out of the hat in January, and perhaps the chairman might be able to spend a bit more in order to attract better quality than he did in recent seasons.

Fingers crossed, eh?

4 minutes ago, Spondon Owl said:

There is absolute no basis whatsoever for the accusations thrown around on here that signings were imposed on monk. 

Its nonsense and it creates a fractious environment for no reason. 

I agree. 

There's an awful lot the club does wrong, but to suggest players are being imposed on the manager (with zero proof) is wrong imo. 

28 minutes ago, shandypants said:

Easy to have the balls to say no when you’ve already got a job lined up with your mate up the road.

12 hours ago, parajack said:

?? Wouldnt apply would it to  free agent? you dont want a manager to leave dont offer  fixed term or 'rolling contract' eve than in football they are broken at the drop of a hat.....only a case of how much compensation is than due,either way...

My point was more about the collusion involved given that you implied Monk had the strength to simply walk away from Leeds. He didn’t he left because he had already lined up a job at Boro. 

At the very very least Monk suggests the type of players he needs.

He clearly didn’t feel that we needed a left back as we were playing 3 at the back all season

Because the stubborn, inept so and so refuses to change his mind no matter how wrong he is...as he’s proven multiple times 

9 hours ago, pat blondeau said:

It’s not just recruitment, it’s the way Chansiri lets players contracts run out and then just leave.

For Forestieri, Hooper, Fletcher, Fox, Winnall, Nuhiu, Lee, Hutchinson to all leave the club for nothing and it looks like they’ll be joined by Bannan, Reach, Rhodes, Westwood, Palmer, van Aken and Lees this summer is complete mismanagement and incompetence. And that’s not down to Monk.

Until we get a new owner or at least a CEO or

DoF to sort out contracts and recriutment things won’t improve 

This.

Signing players on massive wages, keeping them past their best, and letting them leave for free is incompetent and no way to run a club.

It ends in disaster. DC is the architect of his own downfall.

Who have been our problem players this season showing poor form ?

Westwood and Dawson - neither signed by monk

Rhodes- signed by carlos

harris - signed by bruce

Van aken - signed by carlos

Of the new players, patterson, Windass both done ok. The two youngsters dele and adedoyin are young squad fillers. Flint injured, Marriot injured , Brown mainly injured. 

really the only player looking like a bad buy is kachunga but early days. 

• Thanks 1