Monk has made a right mess of our squad

Just now, Emilianenko said:

That’s what all managers do, inherit players. 

Monk inherited a squad that was in the top ten. He then steered them to the relegation zone. But wait till he has his own staff and players you all said. Yes he then left us in a bigger mess. 

He didnt steer them anywhere,he wasnt on the pitch,however the team were in a Promotion play off spot also,under his stewardship,and set to push for an automatic promotion spot....Both those scenarios apply dont they?...

monk is history now,and what happened under his stewardship is a matter of fact,what isnt however is why?? and who?....Players?injurys? alleged 'bad attitude'? within the squad? alleged interference?..

I know which of those i believe...

32 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

In the grand scheme of things, Monk didn't create this mess - Chansiri did.

That we were unable to recruit the players we needed is mostly down to the circumstances Chansiri has created.

Monk recruited for the system he wanted to play. If he wasn't planning on using full-backs, then it makes little sense to sign them just in case he loses his job and the club go in an entirely different direction.

The fact that we allowed him to recruit for his system, then sacked him and brought in a manager who wants to use a system which requires players we don't have is also a symptom of the lack of coherent vision, structure and planning which stems from the very top of our club.

I'm not absolving Monk of all responsibility in this - he played his part, just like Carvalhal, Luhukay and Bruce before him, but the current state of our squad is not down to him and him alone; in fact it's not even mostly down to him.

Spot on. We've lacked a coherent vision, direction and philosophy, ever since after Wembley. Many signings since haven't suited how we play and we failed to strengthen in weak areas, and failed to freshen up things with younger, dynamic or powerful players.

There have been some smart signings in recent years to be fair, such as Iorfa and Luongo stand out to me but many others haven't been as smart to say the least. 

Hopefully things will change in time. We looked to have been building something when Bruce came in, given time he would have got us in the mix or up. I can see Pulis doing the same, as long as he's given time and he's able to bring in his own players. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

So out of the eight players you have quoted that Monk has signed. Only two are just doing ok. Hardly glowing is it.

4 are injured and 2 are signed as reserve squad fillers much as Bruce signed urhoghide. 

Unless monk kicked them in the shins , it’s hard to say the injured players are monks fault. Brown is a very good player when fit.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, parajack said:

He didnt steer them anywhere,he wasnt on the pitch,however the team were in a Promotion play off spot also,under his stewardship,and set to push for an automatic promotion spot....Both those scenarios apply dont they?...

monk is history now,and what happened under his stewardship is a matter of fact,what isnt however is why?? and who?....Players?injurys? alleged 'bad attitude'? within the squad? alleged interference?..

I know which of those i believe...

Yes he had them third, he then decided to put his stamp on the team. We then went into free fall.

Its the situation the club has been in for the last few seasons that "Attracted" managers like Monk...No job on the horizon, still a "minor" player in the roundabout manager game, what did he have to lose?..Simply another job...he took the money.

Have a look at WHY we ended up with Monk....and you need to raise your eyes further up the South than the bloody dug out.

The one glimmer of hope was Bruce....and the latest glimmer is hoping Tony pulis has more pride in his work than Monk had...Because thats our only hope

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

Spot on. We've lacked a coherent vision, direction and philosophy, ever since after Wembley. Many signings since haven't suited how we play and we failed to strengthen in weak areas, and failed to freshen up things with younger, dynamic or powerful players.

+1

Monk and his signings are a symptom of our current predicament, not the cause of it.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, TheEnchanter said:

He actually has. And his hands were tied by our inept chairman. It's the knock on effect of years of mismanagement. 

Tony has a right job on. Not many managers are getting more than a few goals out of this attacking set up. January cannot come quick enough. I believe we will go out and get 2-3 forwards to save us. Or else we know we'll be Tonys first relegation in 30 years of management. 

We've had two 0-0 draws recently agaings teams just two points apart. One game under Monk and the other under Pulis. Stoke have conceded nearly twice as many goals as Millwall yet we only managed one long distance shot on target which did not show up on the stats because it was so poor. Against Millwall we had 15 shots at goal, 7 on target, to their 0. The man of the mwtch was their goalie by a country mile. The big difference between Monk and Pulis up to now, is that Monk got more out of the players in my opinion. He is already alienating players with his bad substitutions. The only reason that our front players are still not getting any goals or shots on goal is the fact that our team and the way it is set up, is no longer getting the ball anywhere near them! I am amazed that Rhodes got any touches on the ball at all when Harries is so poor at crossing and passing that he elects to shoot at a much bigger target and still misses 99 times out of a hundred.

The squad inherited by Pulis is DC's squad not Monks. Monk wanted a quality striker and young enthusiastic fit players. He got given a couple of old injured codgers, one with a broken leg, a young midfielder who could be ok in a year or two, a right back/midfielder pretending to be a striker and an injured player to get fit for Derby, who has gone back injured. Monk has been a great scapegoat for DC, along with Jos, but Bruce knew what a mess DC was making of our club and got out as fast as he could.

If DC has lost interest and has no intention of spending any money for another six transfer windows then Pulis will probably be the best we can hope for right now and I only hope that DC gives himat least a few bob this January because he has thrown away the £350M Pulis reckons he has spent so far, because our whole squad is only worth about £10M if we are very lucky. 

Chansiri's fault not Monks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StudentOwl said:

Spot on.

We were hamstrung by the obvious... no money and a 12 point deduction making us the most unappealing side to come to in the division. Any fans that think or thought otherwise in the summer are/were completely deluded.

However... this insistence of Monk to recruit around his 3-5-2 system was always going to be the second bullet in the kneecap. It makes us completely inflexible and now leaves us in the unenviable, and indeed scandalous position, of having to play JvA at left back and Paterson up front at times.

I personally firmly believe Monk made the signings he made because he thought it would help him to keep his job. Not because they're good, but because there would be no flexibility or options for any replacement manager to work with. "My way or you're f*cked" attitude with recruitment. And I genuinely believe that.

So you think Monks plan as a professional football manager with his reputation on the line was to buy players that he knew wouldn't really work so he could screw over the club and the next manager that came in. 

2 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

So you think Monks plan as a professional football manager with his reputation on the line was to buy players that he knew wouldn't really work so he could screw over the club and the next manager that came in. 

Maybe Monks "plan" was laid out before him and that entailed the limitations of the signings he could make...He then had a choice..He took a job instead of being out of work

• Like 1

Monk had his hands tied as in the big earners had to go for financial reasons and changing the squad was going to be a big ask of any manager with not a lot to spend on replacing an aging under achieving squad? Here lies the problem monk just wasn’t up to it and never looked like he was? At first he stuck to the system and players that bullen had carried on from Bruce , did ok. Then started to tinker admitted after injuries and then wotever went off at Xmas did for us as a team/squad ? Prob told certain players they be moved on and arguments with other players that no matter wot left us short of big personality’s on the pitch? He then changed system after lockdown which didn’t work then recruited in the summer for same system that didn’t work ? He should have gone in the summer? That down to dc another big mistake from our chairman who continues to make them. Now we have a manager left with a squad of players that if we try to go win gsmes we’ll prob loose so is trying to nick results till January when hopefully he’ll sign players to deliver what he wants. Now dc has to back him or we’ll be down and yet another mistake will have been made! No fan of pulis football but for the predicament we in atm absolutely think he one of just few managers that have a chance of keeping us up. Now I’m pretty certain he won’t have come here if no money to spend and if it turns out we haven’t I’m certain he will walk ! Cus he keeps banging on about truth and honesty? So if dc doesn’t back him it will be another big mistake made by our chairman who’s investment will slide into the lottery that is now league one with wage caps and all its problems 

Just now, Roy Of The Roasters said:

+1

Monk and his signings are a symptom of our current predicament, not the cause of it.

Aye, it's been one of numerous issues ever since Wembley. We've made poor unnecessary signings that haven't suited us or not addressed our weaknesses for a long time. We've had numerous injury issues for a long time. The issues at the club have been there for a fair while before Monk came to the club and are still evident after he left.

Clubs at this level to progress and kick on, generally are well run clubs or clubs that at least recruit wisely and sell on players for profit, in order to freshen things up on off the pitch. We have barely done that during DC's era. Which as played a big part in our decline after the first two play off seasons. However, I thought DC learnt from past mistakes by bringing in Bruce. Hopefully, Pulis can do in time, the job what Bruce looked like doing. But it will take time to stabilise us and for him to bring in the players he needs. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Emilianenko said:

Correct. It’s like you’re planning to have beans on toast for tea. So you nip to Aldi and the beans are on offer in packs of four. So you buy two lots , 8 tins but forget to get the bread and the butter. 

Spot on. 

2 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

To torture the metaphor a little more, it's like you’re planning to have beans on toast for tea. So you nip to Aldi and the beans are on offer in packs of four but you don't have the money for them. So you buy a tin of cannellini beans and some ketchup in the hope that you can fashion a passable approximation of some actual baked beans and nobody will notice.

Then on the way to the checkout, you realise you didn't get any bread and butter, but because your chairman earned your club a points deduction, the bread and butter refuse to get into your basket and would rather remain a free agent or sign for chuffing Millwall instead!

:duntmatter:

You’re almost there with this analogy. What is should be is that you buy four tins of cannellini beans and two ketchups when you only need one of each. You take too many because they’re dirt cheap and the Aldi staff keep offering them to you. Then, after getting that wrong, you forget the bread a butter; also a can of beans and a bottle of ketchup is damaged. What you are left with is an unbalanced meal made from substandard food items. You should have said “no” to the Aldi staff and asked them to tell you where the bread and butter was. You will have had a meal made up of substandard food items but at least it would have been balanced. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, 0114 said:

He openly wanted to keep Fox, who was a LB. When he left, he should have been replaced.

Negligent of every single person involved in the process of signings to not adequately replace a key player from last season. 

A system that uses wing backs, 99% of the time uses attacking full backs as the wing backs. Monk used a system with wingers in the role and it constantly left us open out wide.

yes i completely agree with you and that's my point, that's Monks fault for using wingers there, you can't pin that blame on the recruitment team who's doing what there told to do.