Please don't appoint Paul Cook

Guest Grandad

3 hours ago, Grandad said:

Please - go for an experienced manager with a track record of success in this Division.

Not someone whos only ever won promotion twice - in divisions below this one.

Lets not waste any more time hoping we can get someone who will give it a good go - lets get someone like we did with Bruce. Someone we can believe in - rather than put out hope in.

typical stuck in the past fan who thinks Wednesday are still in the Prem. Who is realistically a better choice?

Just now, beef said:

typical stuck in the past fan who thinks Wednesday are still in the Prem. Who is realistically a better choice?

Cook's never finished higher than mid-table in the Championship

His last club was relegated

He's never managed a club of this size

Tell me why you think he's a good fit

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Owlstalk Shop

7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Wilder had never managed a club bigger than Oxford, never managed in the championship never mind the prem.  Not saying Cook is gonna be the next wilder, but you just cant dismiss him cause of what he has done in his previous clubs.

But then the comparisons are pretty solid: Both got promoted in the lower leagues with 3 different clubs.

He cant be held responsible for ANYTHING to do with the wigan relegation, they were the 4th best team in the 2nd half of last season when looking at the form table (we were 2nd btm)

• Like 7

Cook achieved 59 pts on the pitch last season, enough to finish 13th despite the admin stuff hanging over the club.

However not to worry, have heard through a credible route that he is not in the running. But who knows I suppose, probably not even chansiri 

42 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Add to that he is well into his 50s and has been around for a good few years with nothing to show it at this level.

4 hours ago, Grandad said:

Please - go for an experienced manager with a track record of success in this Division.

Lets not waste any more time hoping we can get someone who will give it a good go - lets get someone like we did with Bruce. Someone we can believe in - rather than put out hope in.

Agree with this 100%

4 hours ago, Grandad said:

Who?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Here we go 

• Haha 1

You keep peddling that stuff, but he's never started a job with a mid table club.  

Club of this size?  Pompey were FAC winners a few years back. What's our size got to do with it anyway?  Would Cook go weak at the knees from looking at our thousands of empty seats?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Good point. 

What’s his highest league finish in the championship? 

6 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Good point. 

What’s his highest league finish in the championship? 

A better point is how often he has managed in the Championship. Looking at Cook, at his last 3 clubs his win record is above 40% at every one. if you look at his win percentage since becoming a manager (which includes his first job at Southport where he was less than 18%) he has managed 43% overall, only Megson and Wilkinson have exceeded that since Vince Buckingham

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

What's the point in this thread?

Chansiri is hardly gonna be sipping his morning coffee, scrolling through Owlstalk and spotting this thread and going "Ah, the Oracle Grandad has spoken". *phones up Cook*. 

"Hi Paul... yes I know you're on the Snake Pass, but listen, this bloke called Grandad has asked nicely... I'm afraid you should turn around. Yeah, it's just not the job for you. Don't worry, I'll pay for petrol".  

One of two things are going to happen... either we hire Cook, at which point there's already a small gaggle of dissenting voices on Day 0, or we don't and we get someone else. The former scenario is just a fat load of unneeded negativity in a very negative season so far, the latter scenario renders this thread pointless. So essentially, the only scenario this thread has a reason to exist is to be negative about a manager the very millisecond he walks through the door. Kind of callous really.

Apart from Eddie Howe is their any other manager that we can realistically get that isn't going to get a negative response from some section of our fanbase?