Please don't appoint Paul Cook

Guest Grandad

1 minute ago, Lawrie Madden said:

If only there was a club within reasonable distance of Hillsborough who appointed a Manager who only had success in divisions below the championship who could be an example to us .......................................i'm wracking my brain and can't for the life of me think of any club where that scenario worked 

True

It would be really helpful that 

To point to the club who did the one in 1000 thing and try to suggest it's the  norm

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

20 minutes ago, owlZfan84 said:

Looking at the list of suggested managers, we could do FAR worse than Paul Cook.

Yes we can, as DC has shown on a couple of occasions. Cook is a very sensible option IMO.

I'm sure he would be available, no compensation to pay, probably a good knowledge of players in Championship and L1 and speaks well. He says he is missing the game and wants to return to the Championship so I'm sure he'd be very interested in the job.

However, I would never second guess what DC will do. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Grandad said:

Please - go for an experienced manager with a track record of success in this Division.

Not someone whos only ever won promotion twice - in divisions below this one.

Lets not waste any more time hoping we can get someone who will give it a good go - lets get someone like we did with Bruce. Someone we can believe in - rather than put out hope in.

So which realistic alternative do you suggest Grandad?

Edited by Ante's Bubbly
  • Like 1

People expectations are way out, we are not going to get a big name manager. For a start DC will remember what happened with Bruce and wont want another manager to be poached. Cook and Lowe are realistic , got Wigan going  and has some fight in him.  Pearson will not come, too early for him

1 hour ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Yes we can, as DC has shown on a couple of occasions. Cook is a very sensible option IMO.

I'm sure he would be available, no compensation to pay, probably a good knowledge of players in Championship and L1 and speaks well. He says he is missing the game and wants to return to the Championship so I'm sure he'd be very interested in the job.

However, I would never second guess what DC will do. 

Unfortunately, from the list of out of work managers Mr Monk would appear to be our best option, possibly followed by Mr Cook.

I really do not understand Chansiri's hire 'em and fire 'em policy. He sacked Carlos, because his own personal gamble in buying Rhodes did not pay off. Carlos wanted to spend that money on three or four players to improve the squad. It turned out he was right, our squad were decimated and Rhodes added very little to our cause. Bye bye Carlos.

Since then scapegoat Jos came and went, then Bruce was coaxed into coming and going, then Monk and finally his backroom staff, plus some small investments in replacement players which includes several old crocked defenders of the type that Monk had already said he definitely did not want. The two (or three) players that Monk, the club and the fans really wanted and really needed was one (or two) real out and out strikers and a right winger. Just one striker that might be capable of scoring us enough goals to win a few more games than we have scored over the last three or four seasons, was a priority, with us starting on minus 12. What do we do? We sell Joao, we let Nuhiu go, Fletcher goes, Forestieri goes, Murphy goes and we get rid of Winall. So in one season we get rid of six attacking players and strikers and replace them with, a right back that Colin thought he could convert to a striker, attacking midfielders like Windass and Kachunga, and a loan player from Derby who looks like he is trying to be a striker and failing miserably to even get a shot on target. Frankly Rhodes looks better up front than him and I seriously would pick him over Jack. 

The problem at our club has never really been the manager, it is the guy who owns us. He has absolutely no idea what he is doing when he spends over £150M on bringing new players into the club and only a handful of them so far have been worth keeping. On top of that he brings managers in to do a job and puts as many obstacles as he can in their way. I include the 12 point deduction in that because it was all his doing. 

I was not surprised at Monk's sacking, not because I thought it was due, or overdue, but because our Chairman thinks he knows he is better at sacking bad managers than appointing good ones. I hate to think who he will trot in next, but if he does not get fully behind his manager this next time I hate to think where we will end up.

• Haha 1

I am not a religious man, but I am offering up a prayer tonight to all the saints that have been said to be patron saints for birds, that we the Owls, can find ourselves someone who will become a truly legendary SWFC manager and lead us into the light of the hallowed land where we can go from strength to strength and become once again ... the MASSIVE!

UTO!