Please don't appoint Paul Cook

Guest Grandad

24 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

What's the point in this thread?

Chansiri is hardly gonna be sipping his morning coffee, scrolling through Owlstalk and spotting this thread and going "Ah, the Oracle Grandad has spoken". *phones up Cook*. 

"Hi Paul... yes I know you're on the Snake Pass, but listen, this bloke called Grandad has asked nicely... I'm afraid you should turn around. Yeah, it's just not the job for you. Don't worry, I'll pay for petrol".  

One of two things are going to happen... either we hire Cook, at which point there's already a small gaggle of dissenting voices on Day 0, or we don't and we get someone else. The former scenario is just a fat load of unneeded negativity in a very negative season so far, the latter scenario renders this thread pointless. So essentially, the only scenario this thread has a reason to exist is to be negative about a manager the very millisecond he walks through the door. Kind of callous really.

What’s the point in any Owlstalk thread ?

43 minutes ago, Grandad said:

Please - go for an experienced manager with a track record of success in this Division.

Not someone whos only ever won promotion twice - in divisions below this one.

Lets not waste any more time hoping we can get someone who will give it a good go - lets get someone like we did with Bruce. Someone we can believe in - rather than put out hope in.

You really should check your facts before posting.

Cook has lead THREE clubs to championships, not just promotion.  

Chesterfield, Portsmouth, Wigan.

The last time Wednesday were champions of any league was 1959. 

Yes, let's get someone like Bruce, as you say.  Prefers watching cricket to watching Wednesday.  

• Like 4

Just now, Lincs Owl said:

Yes, let's get someone like Bruce, as you say.  Prefers watching cricket to watching Wednesday.  

He's never finished above mid-table in the Championship  - ever

And his last team were relegated

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

Guest Grandad
1 minute ago, Lincs Owl said:

Yes the website I went to in order to check his record do appear to have his promotion record wrong.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/paul-cook/erfolge/trainer/8661

Just now, @owlstalk said:

He's never finished above mid-table in the Championship  - ever

And his last team were relegated

Relegated by a 12 point deduction, not by Cook.  As we would have been, had we received twelve points last season. It wouldn't have given us time to appeal. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, owlsdreamer said:

If I had to pick between Cook and 2 hats Pearson,its Cook for me.

Pearson colluded in the bad taste in the mouth affair of the the Hurst Saga.

Dont trust him or Hurst senior regardless of the fact they were superb players for the OPwls

Whose Hurst did he ever play for Wednesday. :bullen:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bigdan2003 said:

I think the 12 point deduction was the main reason for their relegation. 

Wigan were the form team in championship 2nd half of last season.

On limited budget built a side with good resale value, players who went to higher championship clubs and premier League after the fire sale there.

Only negative to him is his Scouse accent

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Grandad said:

Please - go for an experienced manager with a track record of success in this Division.

Not someone whos only ever won promotion twice - in divisions below this one.

Lets not waste any more time hoping we can get someone who will give it a good go - lets get someone like we did with Bruce. Someone we can believe in - rather than put out hope in.

When you look at the experienced championship managers who are out of work, I'd rather go with Cook. 

34 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

What's the point in this thread?

Chansiri is hardly gonna be sipping his morning coffee, scrolling through Owlstalk and spotting this thread and going "Ah, the Oracle Grandad has spoken". *phones up Cook*. 

"Hi Paul... yes I know you're on the Snake Pass, but listen, this bloke called Grandad has asked nicely... I'm afraid you should turn around. Yeah, it's just not the job for you. Don't worry, I'll pay for petrol".  

One of two things are going to happen... either we hire Cook, at which point there's already a small gaggle of dissenting voices on Day 0, or we don't and we get someone else. The former scenario is just a fat load of unneeded negativity in a very negative season so far, the latter scenario renders this thread pointless. So essentially, the only scenario this thread has a reason to exist is to be negative about a manager the very millisecond he walks through the door. Kind of callous really.

But surely this is true about any thread on here isn't it.  Its just us posting our opinions. We never expect to be listened to. Or Westwood would have been back in goal a long time ago.

Why would you bring in Cook, well every team he has been at he has left them in a better position. But for the farce of the FA he would probably still be at a championship Wigan where he improved year on year.

He has the one thing fans call for - passion when ever he is on the touch line, he has good working relationships to get good youth in on loan as well as the ability to spot lower league gems. And for me will improve a mid table squad we have into a top 10 squad with very little work. Just playing players in their preferred positions and here the kicker, playing a formation that suits the players he has available, not shoe horning them into a formation that has not worked in 20+ games.

• Like 1