Please don't appoint Paul Cook

Guest Grandad

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Cook's never finished higher than mid-table in the Championship - arguably had worse squads

His last club was relegated - deducted 12 points, accrued enough pts to finish mid table last season before the deduction was applied with only a handful of games left (but you already know this).

To fit in with your completely black and white view of Paul Cook, lets say he had a 6pt deduction to work with las year like what he would have to deal with here, they would have survived.

He's never managed a club of this size - we haven't played top tier football for 20 years, bouncing around the bottom half of the 2nd division and top half of the 3rd.  Granted though, we would be the biggest club he has managed.

Tell me why you think he's a good fit - motivator, did better than us last year with a worse squad working under a regime slightly more batshit than ours.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, gizowl said:

Apart from Eddie Howe is their any other manager that we can realistically get that isn't going to get a negative response from some section of our fanbase? 

There will always be differing opinions, that's football. 

For example, I dont rate Howe. Did a good job at Bournemouth, but bankrolled along the way and was a good fit for him.  Not so good at Burnley. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brommers said:

Do you honestly think they'd have sacked him when they reached the championship had he not been of them?

Of course not, my point was him being a blade helped even more (than their v good performance) to create that buzz they had and the environment etc

29 minutes ago, striker said:

There will always be differing opinions, that's football. 

For example, I dont rate Howe. Did a good job at Bournemouth, but bankrolled along the way and was a good fit for him.  Not so good at Burnley. 

we all just need to draw a line in the sand and back for the entire season who ever gets it 

Lets just be thankful that Monk has gone..

Our options are limited as we are what we are, not what we think we once where....

Another jobbing manager I would think, clock ticking till he leaves

52 minutes ago, gizowl said:

Apart from Eddie Howe is their any other manager that we can realistically get that isn't going to get a negative response from some section of our fanbase? 

Almost certainly not. Given our current circumstances proven managers with good reputations wont touch us (including Howe).

So we'll either have to go for a manager with experience at this level who hasn't got a great record, a lower league manager, or an unknown from abroad. All of these options will disappoint some.

1 hour ago, jonnyowl said:

Paul Cook has 3 league titles plus 2 playoff campaigns in the last 7 seasons.

A serial winner!

He also won a cup in that time didnt he or at least got to the final, cant remember exactly. Didnt he knock 3 premiership teams out of the FA cup as well? 

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Cook's never finished higher than mid-table in the Championship

His last club was relegated

He's never managed a club of this size

Tell me why you think he's a good fit

The dimensions of his backside fit managers chair quite comfortably and he will be able to use throne without falling in.

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Wonder what United fans were saying when Wilder had never managed in the Championship.

Or Farke at Norwich and Lambert at Norwich before him. Both gained promotion.

Not to mention Bielsa or Bilic. Who is top of Championship does their manager have any prior in division.

6 hours ago, owlsdreamer said:

If I had to pick between Cook and 2 hats Pearson,its Cook for me.

Pearson colluded in the bad taste in the mouth affair of the the Hurst Saga.

Dont trust him or Hurst senior regardless of the fact they were superb players for the OPwls

Who’s Hurst?

If only there was a club within reasonable distance of Hillsborough who appointed a Manager who only had success in divisions below the championship who could be an example to us .......................................i'm wracking my brain and can't for the life of me think of any club where that scenario worked 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1