Please don't appoint Paul Cook

Guest Grandad

55 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Someone like Bruce is not going to come.

Nigel Pearson is only name that is equivalent to Bruce without a job and I very much doubt he would even entertain coming with our points deduction, low budget, dysfunctional running of the club and poor playing squad.
Chansiri was right we are not a big club to attract a big name.

But you'd beg him and pay him as much as he demanded !!!

31 minutes ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

Wigan were the form team in championship 2nd half of last season.

On limited budget built a side with good resale value, players who went to higher championship clubs and premier League after the fire sale there.

Only negative to him is his Scouse accent

MODS

RACISM 

BAN HIM

1 hour ago, Grandad said:

Please - go for an experienced manager with a track record of success in this Division.

Not someone whos only ever won promotion twice - in divisions below this one.

Lets not waste any more time hoping we can get someone who will give it a good go - lets get someone like we did with Bruce. Someone we can believe in - rather than put out hope in.

Absolutely mate. 

Another Steve Bruce type. Someone who understands the game, has been there and done it as a player himself, and can get the respect of the players.

Do you want me to call Ollie?

Please - go for an experienced manager with a track record of success in this Division.

Lets not waste any more time hoping we can get someone who will give it a good go - lets get someone like we did with Bruce. Someone we can believe in - rather than put out hope in.

Absolutely mate. 

Another Steve Bruce type. Someone who understands the game, has been there and done it as a player himself, and can get the respect of the players.

Absolutely mate. 

This 100%

The sacking of Monk has created a very strange time Its allowed me to agree with both Neil and Grandad within the space of an hourlol

I could only be bothered to read the first page of replies to this thread, but I’d be thinking DC already has someone in place. 
you can’t just sack the manager & staff with no one lined up.... 

not even Wednesday would do that 

im sure it’ll be announced once he’s met with the first team etc during the int. break. 

Look, I'm not against Paul Cook by any means, but I don't understand the volume of people calling for him. 

I've seen more against Pearson than against Cook, 

2006–2007Southport

2007–2012Sligo Rovers

2012Accrington Stanley

2012–2015Chesterfield

2015–2017Portsmouth

2017–2020Wigan Athletic

That's Paul Cook's history. Pretty average wouldnt you say? Certainly if you want to move up the Championship and get out of it in years to come  

Pearson: 

2008–2010Leicester City

2010–2011Hull City

2011–2015Leicester City

2016 Derby County

2017–2019OH Leuven

2019–2020Watford

Not suggesting you pick a manager purely based on this, but I honestly feel like theres a bit of bandwagon jumping about the Paul Cook stuff. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

Look, I'm not against Paul Cook by any means, but I don't understand the volume of people calling for him. 

2006–2007Southport

2007–2012Sligo Rovers

2012Accrington Stanley

2012–2015Chesterfield

2015–2017Portsmouth

2017–2020Wigan Athletic

That's Paul Cook's history.  

Wigan were relegated too

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

Yes personally I think we do well with ambitious big name big character appointments. Bruce was ideal, I think McCarthy would’ve been good too, and history shows an Allardyce or Pearson type would probably work well at Wednesday. 

Having said that what I like about Cook is his consistently good track record everywhere he’s been - started in Ireland and then won championships with each of the last three clubs he’s been at. And I think his record in the championship with Wigan was respectable in the circumstances at the club. 

He plays a decent brand of football, is a passionate character and has managed clubs amidst financial turmoil and points deductions. And he’s available. 

Ticks almost every box for me. Wouldn’t be unhappy at all. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

2006–2007Southport

2007–2012Sligo Rovers

2012Accrington Stanley

2012–2015Chesterfield

2015–2017Portsmouth

2017–2020Wigan Athletic

That's Paul Cook's history. Pretty average wouldnt you say? Certainly if you want to move up the Championship and get out of it in years to come  

Pearson: 

2008–2010Leicester City

2010–2011Hull City

2011–2015Leicester City

2016 Derby County

2017–2019OH Leuven

2019–2020Watford

Not suggesting you pick a manager purely based on this, but I honestly feel like theres a bit of bandwagon jumping about the Paul Cook stuff. 

Probably 2 of best managers in my Wednesday supporting life were Ron Atkinson and Howard Wilkinson.
Big Ron had managed at Cambridge and Kettering before landing a decent sized club in West Brom
Wilkinson had managed Boston, Mossley and Notts County before Wednesday.

Chris Wilder had managed Halifax, Oxford and Northampton before his success at Sheff U.

Think Paul Cook has dome well at every club he has been at. Think he deserves a chance at level up from those clubs at Sheffield Wednesday.
Managed over 650 games so got good experience.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

2006–2007Southport

2007–2012Sligo Rovers

2012Accrington Stanley

2012–2015Chesterfield

2015–2017Portsmouth

2017–2020Wigan Athletic

Pearson: 

2008–2010Leicester City

2010–2011Hull City

2011–2015Leicester City

2016 Derby County

2017–2019OH Leuven

2019–2020Watford

Cook leaves clubs to better himself ,pearson leaves clubs coz they sack him  .

Cook seems a bit of a character and has a nasty side which seems to get a reaction as Colin does and Steve Evans. It’s hard not to admire what he has done at various clubs.

But does it translate to a “big”’club and the culture there? Warnock and Evans both failed to repeat it at Leeds and it could be the same here.

There is also the matter of one of our few goal threats in windass having a major fall out with him. 

We need someone that fits with the club and a good communicator that the fans can warm to. I could see Cook being very short term as an impact manager. 

I’d take him over Pulis though who would just take the same approach as Monk with lots of defenders.