Please don't appoint Paul Cook

Guest Grandad

Guest hirstysfags
2 hours ago, owlsdreamer said:

If I had to pick between Cook and 2 hats Pearson,its Cook for me.

Pearson colluded in the bad taste in the mouth affair of the the Hurst Saga.

Dont trust him or Hurst senior regardless of the fact they were superb players for the OPwls

Hirst. At least get the basics right.

I think out of Pearson and Cook, you’d choose Pearson. Proven manager at this level and higher.

However, we’ve been here before and it’s unlikely he’ll come here.

With that in mind, Paul Cook would be worth a punt. He’s had steady progress throughout his career and exceeded expectations everywhere on limited budgets. Yes Wigan got relegated but we all know it wasn’t because of what happened on the pitch. 

The difference with Gary Monk is that Monk is a Championship managerial merry go round guy. Had a string of average performances and we went for him. If a Nigel Pearson / Steve Bruce guy isn’t available, let’s go for someone on the crest of a wave.

I suspect a manager is already in line given the timing of the announcement and that no caretaker has been announced.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Cook seems a bit of a character and has a nasty side which seems to get a reaction as Colin does and Steve Evans. It’s hard not to admire what he has done at various clubs.

But does it translate to a “big”’club and the culture there? Warnock and Evans both failed to repeat it at Leeds and it could be the same here.

There is also the matter of one of our few goal threats in windass having a major fall out with him. 

We need someone that fits with the club and a good communicator that the fans can warm to. I could see Cook being very short term as an impact manager. 

I’d take him over Pulis though who would just take the same approach as Monk with lots of defenders.

We aren't a big club though.   He's already taken Pompey to a championship and most football fans would see them as bigger than us. Sad, but true. 

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, paulrs said:

Having said that what I like about Cook is his consistently good track record everywhere he’s been - started in Ireland and then won championships with each of the last three clubs he’s been at. And I think his record in the championship with Wigan was respectable in the circumstances at the club. 

It's the consistency and ability to work with limited resources that interests me.

Some managers are successful at one club but struggle to replicate that anywhere else; one reason I would be very cautious about Gareth Ainsworth for example. But Paul Cook seems to have been able to repeat the trick with several different clubs.

Some fans, of course, will dismiss him because his experience is mostly L1 / L2 and with "smaller" clubs. But I'd be happy enough with him.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Cook seems a bit of a character and has a nasty side which seems to get a reaction as Colin does and Steve Evans. It’s hard not to admire what he has done at various clubs.

But does it translate to a “big”’club and the culture there? Warnock and Evans both failed to repeat it at Leeds and it could be the same here.

There is also the matter of one of our few goal threats in windass having a major fall out with him. 

We need someone that fits with the club and a good communicator that the fans can warm to. I could see Cook being very short term as an impact manager. 

I’d take him over Pulis though who would just take the same approach as Monk with lots of defenders.

Think you need a bit of a nasty side to be a successful manager.

The part of will it translate to a big cub they is only one way of finding out.

5 minutes ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

It's the consistency and ability to work with limited resources that interests me.

Some managers are successful at one club but struggle to replicate that anywhere else; one reason I would be very cautious about Gareth Ainsworth for example. But Paul Cook seems to have been able to repeat the trick with several different clubs.

Some fans, of course, will dismiss him because his experience is mostly L1 / L2 and with "smaller" clubs. But I'd be happy enough with him.

Exactly. Some managers just seem to fit with one club but it never really works anywhere else. That’s a slight concern I have about Eddie Howe for example, or Danny Cowley.

Cook has done it again and again and again and again - different clubs in different leagues with different expectations. He simply must be doing something right. 

2 hours ago, Grandad said:

Please - go for an experienced manager with a track record of success in this Division.

Not someone whos only ever won promotion twice - in divisions below this one.

Lets not waste any more time hoping we can get someone who will give it a good go - lets get someone like we did with Bruce. Someone we can believe in - rather than put out hope in.

Someone like Bruce who will fizz off the second another club comes sniffing?

Please - go for an experienced manager with a track record of success in this Division.

Lets not waste any more time hoping we can get someone who will give it a good go - lets get someone like we did with Bruce. Someone we can believe in - rather than put out hope in.

Bet Utd wish they'd got rid of Wilder when he got them up to the Championship because he'd never managed in that division before.

• Love 1

18 minutes ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

A big opportunity for Cook to increase his stock value too.

I don't particularly want him, but I can see the match between the club and the prospective manager. We could do worse.

20 minutes ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

I wouldn’t dismiss him because of doing well in leagues one and two. But we have had a number of managers do well in those leagues and fit with the cultures of those clubs but then it doesn’t work when they go to a bigger or historic club or whatever people prefer to call it. Some managers feed off being the underdog that prays on the bigger clubs but don’t know what to do when they move. For example I think if Wilder had left United for Everton or somewhere like that, he would fall flat.

I had forgotten about Pompey though and he did well there. 

6 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

I wouldn’t dismiss him because of doing well in leagues one and two. But we have had a number of managers do well in those leagues and fit with the cultures of those clubs but then it doesn’t work when they go to a bigger or historic club or whatever people prefer to call it. Some managers feed off being the underdog that prays on the bigger clubs but don’t know what to do when they move. For example I think if Wilder had left United for Everton or somewhere like that, he would fall flat.

I had forgotten about Pompey though and he did well there. 

Smaller clubs than Wednesday yes, but Wigan and Portsmouth have both been in the Premier League and won a major trophy much more recently than we have 

Totally agree

4 minutes ago, paulrs said:

Smaller clubs than Wednesday yes, but Wigan and Portsmouth have both been in the Premier League and won a major trophy much more recently than we have 

Paul Cook had nothing to do with that though.

Huddersfield and Blackpool have too. But that sense of place you get at Wednesday is different to many clubs whether we are any good or not.

The way I see it we've got 3 choices on this:

1. Experience - Pulis, Pearson, Howe - I don't think Chansiri will go for this option tbh. I think he's still seething a bit from Bruce. 
  2. Promising - Lowe, Moore - just have a feeling he'll take a punt on one of these, especially Lowe who is receiving plaudits for what he's done so far. 
  3. Motivator - Cook, Cowley, Barker - those that have done good jobs at smaller clubs and can get the best out of average players. A punt but no different to the option above.

Personally, if Pearson doesn't want it then I'd go for Lowe. Impressed with what he did with Bury and how he's replicated his style at Plymouth - a big club in League 1 with expectations. It's a gamble but would be refreshing to have somebody here who wants to have a real go at it.