Callum Paterson

We need someone with a bit of dogfight in them.

Luongo who I thought might bring that is starting to look like that fat woman in Tesco with leggings.

Our captain is scuttling around not making a decent tackle and making a back when competing for a header.

Stupid fouls all over the park because we're out of position.

Today we looked like losers.

Get some arrogant players with attitude in to buck this bloody complacent lot up!!

• Like 7

1 minute ago, s6 owl said:

Apparently he is on a big wage so that could be one of the reasons why Cardiff want to move him on.

Cardiff couldn't guarantee him a number 9 or number 10 role, even despite their poor start.

Even though they still recieve parachute payments, they have to sell to strengthen their squad after already bringing in strikers recently. Paterson wants to be a striker and wants to get his Scottish international place back, despite being a fan favourite, he would rather play more regularly.

If he can get back to the form that earned him a move to Cardiff; won him Scottish caps, helped Cardiff to get promoted to the top flight and win their player of the season award twice, then he could surprise some of our fans and prove to be an astute signing. 

• Like 1

This a strange one for me, I can’t work up any enthusiasm for this signing at all, but at the same time, I’m hoping I have got it so wrong, and he’ll shoot us to safety by Easter. Our front players compare badly to virtually every team in the league, so that is going to be a real problem when it comes to winning games. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, s6 owl said:

Apparently he is on a big wage so that could be one of the reasons why Cardiff want to move him on. 500K does seem a bit cheap.

Can't see that, Wancock had to go cap in hand to the chairman to pay 350k for someone who was injured but was highly recommended by someone who used to scout for him unless he had a pay increase on promotion but they sometimes take cuts in salary if relegated. 

Interesting that some are worried he’s coming in as a striker.

I know lots on here wanted us to sign Dykes, who scored 22 goals in 124 games in Scottish football and is 25 next month.  Paterson (25)  scored 33 goals in 137 games for Hearts, and I believe played more of his games at a higher level than Dykes.  Stats ahoy 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wilyfox said:

now there’s a surprise 😏

Think it’s more the way this window has gone. The early links were promising, in fact very promising, and FDB, the first signing, looks full of potential. Then we sort of peaked with the loan signing of Brown, a player of genuine talent, but since then we’ve rather lost our way. I’m sure Windass, Kachunga, and even Paterson, have the right attitude, but do they have the necessary quality to win us the games we need to win? I’m not sure they do, and although they may do a steady job, we really do still need to add some quality to those front positions.

Edited by gurujuan

8 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Think it’s more the way this window has gone. The early links were promising, in fact very promising, and FDB, the first signing, looks full of potential. Then we sort of peaked with the loan signing of Brown, a player of genuine talent, but since then we’ve rather lost our way. I’m sure Windass, Kachunga, and even Paterson, have the right attitude, but do they have the necessary quality to win us the games we need to win? I’m not sure they do, and although they may do a steady job, we really do still need to add some quality to those front positions.

I understand how you feel about it, but sounds like we'll have signed 3 prime-age championship-ready strikers in Windass, Kachunga, and Paterson for a combined fee less than Pboro paid for Jonson Clarke-Harris. That's pretty good going in difficult times. Add someone like Zohore or similar on loan and we've done well. 

17 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

Asked a couple of Cardiff supporting mates what they thought of Paterson. The reply was that he’s a good lad and he’ll guarantee 100% effort wherever he plays, but he’s not the most technically gifted footballer ever

don't worry, out coaches will soon knock that 100% effort out of him so he fits right in.

• Haha 1

I hoped that we were signing CP as a back up for the right wing back slot, where his energy and strength can be best used, but it does seem increasingly likely that he will be used as an attacking player, as he has expressed an interest in playing in midfield or attack for Scotland (see article below). Judging by the messages that Cardiff fans have been posting recently saying how gutted they are that we are getting him on the cheap and the fact that he was included in the Scotland squad as a striker when several other strikers, including Oli McBurnie, where unavailable, we could well be getting an excellent addition to the squad, whether he is used as a midfielder, a striker, or a right back/wing back. Especially if the £500K rumour is true!

See article below..

Callum Paterson replaces Oli McBurnie in Scotland squad

| 28d

© Reuters

Cardiff utility man Callum Paterson has been called into the Scotland squad after Oli McBurnie joined fellow striker Lawrence Shankland in pulling out.

Shankland withdrew after missing another Dundee United game on Saturday – an ankle injury has ruled him out since the opening day of the Scottish Premiership season on August 1.

No reason has been given for the withdrawal of McBurnie, who was talked up by Scotland boss Steve Clarke when he named his squad, but the centre-forward was not involved in a 22-man Sheffield United squad for a training-ground friendly against Hearts on Friday.

The two withdrawals have left Clarke further lacking in strikers so the versatile Paterson has been added to the party for upcoming Nations League games against Israel and the Czech Republic.

Clarke was already missing Leigh Griffiths, with the Celtic striker yet to feature this season and struggling with a calf injury. Steven Naismith was omitted from the squad after Hearts' pre-season was interrupted and United States-based Johnny Russell was unavailable because of coronavirus travel restrictions.

Oli Burke, who has flitted between the wing and a central role, and international newcomer Lyndon Dykes were the other two strike options in the original squad.

Former Hearts player Paterson has played up front for club and country, as well as right-back, but has mostly played in midfield for Cardiff.

Callum Paterson suffered agony on his last Scotland outing (PA)

The 25-year-old's previous Scotland appearance came in Alex McLeish's final game in charge, the 2-0 win in San Marino in March 2019.

He started up front but suffered an ankle injury which ended his season and he has had a long wait to get into Clarke's squad.

The powerful player has won most of his 12 caps at right-back and is yet to score an international goal but earlier this year he admitted he wanted to earn a recall as a striker or attacking midfielder, where he plays for his club.

He netted seven goals in 42 appearances for Cardiff last season.