Callum Paterson

1 minute ago, Owls-Fan said:

Better used as a defender then?

Joking aside,  it’s a bargain signing and a very good one for us.  Cardiff fans are gutted and think their club is a joke for letting him go.  That points to it being a good signing to me.  

According to my research he has no speciality position, at best a utility man, hardly a coup, clutching at straws as we have done for at least 2 yrs, monk included. 

4 minutes ago, debram said:

Not the man to take us forward imo. 

Why not give him a chance? Who do you expect us to sign having started the season on minus points? £500,000 for a versatile hard working energetic player, with international, top flight and Championship experience, and still only 25. Suggests it could be a smart signing. After seeing quite a lot of him for Cardiff, I think he could surprise those that haven't. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Night-Owl said:

Why not give him a chance? Who do you expect us to sign having started the season on minus points? £500,000 for a versatile hard working energetic player, with international, top flight and Championship experience, and still only 25. Suggests it could be a smart signing. After seeing quite a lot of him for Cardiff, I think he could surprise those that haven't. 

Just like Harris then. 

Just now, The Night-Owl said:

Wrong. Paterson was their player of the season twice and their top scorer the year they got promoted, that's having been played in various positions and was their number 9 at times in the top flight too. 

Glad you're up on stats, gives me more confidence on him and less on haris

Wrong. Paterson was their player of the season twice and their top scorer the year they got promoted, that's having been played in various positions and was their number 9 at times in the top flight too. 

@Debram  this kind of research ?

• Thanks 1

Signing him as a recognised number 9 could be a master stroke.  He's strong, direct, great in the air, committed and is still a decent age. He played a big part in getting cardiff promoted and the fans down here are sad to see him go.

for 500k it is the very definition of a no brainer. 

• Like 4

Just now, debram said:

Glad you're up on stats, gives me more confidence on him and less on haris

Harris is being played out of position, at times he relieves pressure with his pace. Unfortunately we miss the balance and effectiveness Murphy gave us. Harris would be better off played further forward but the formation I think, doesn't suit the players we currently have, which could be because we still need to bring in a few more players before the transfer window closes. 

9 minutes ago, debram said:

According to my research he has no speciality position, at best a utility man, hardly a coup, clutching at straws as we have done for at least 2 yrs, monk included. 

If you are sleeping on a hard, cold cellar floor, a bit of straw can be a welcome addition.

• Like 1

Harris is being played out of position, at times he relieves pressure with his pace. Unfortunately we miss the balance and effectiveness Murphy gave us. Harris would be better off played further forward but the formation I think, doesn't suit the players we currently have, which could be because we still need to bring in a few more players before the transfer window closes. 

Or maybe a new manager. 

There are two separate issues.

If we sign him as our main no 9 then it’s probably concerning. As a safer bet would be someone who is natural in that position  rather than a bit raw. After all the pressure is on for survival.

But the signing in isolation is a good one as he can contribute up front and if it doesn’t work there we play him elsewhere. We just need to make sure the player doesn’t get the brunt of frustrations that aren’t his fault if we don’t get anyone else 

• Like 1