Massimo Luongo

Screenshot 2020-09-19 at 08.43.21.jpg

Let's have a little chat about Luongo

There's an incredible player in there somewhere. A really powerful, dynamic, powerhouse of a player

If you notice, when he has a great game the whole team plays so much better as what he does impacts massively on the way we play,  and every other player on the pitch seems to step up their game.

Currenlty though he seems to only hit his potential about one game in every six.

The other 5 games out of those 6 he is either anonymous or just average

I don't know what we can do to bring out his real true potential, but I hope that the new coaching team can make him a more consistent player

If so we have a real exciting talent on our hands

I really like Luongo. I want him to become the player you can tell he could be

• Like 4

Owlstalk Shop

You’re right Neil. 

I think we need a bit more consistency from him. I think we should (if possible) have signed someone to fight for his place, as he’s seen as an automatic starter. 

He’s very capable of a dynamic performance - but it doesn’t happen all the time (especially if you include last season). 

We do have ALEX Hunt who can push him. 

• Like 1

When he made his debut last season (I think he came on as sub?) he looked a player.

Never really got going last season but definitely has a goal in him and scored winners in 2 successive 1-0 home wins.

If he can keep injury free I think he’ll have a very good season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kopparberg said:

You’re right Neil. 

I think we need a bit more consistency from him. I think we should (if possible) have signed someone to fight for his place, as he’s seen as an automatic starter. 

He’s very capable of a dynamic performance - but it doesn’t happen all the time (especially if you include last season). 

Good point

Had forgotten about Hunt!

Owlstalk Shop

I think Mass is one of those players that you don’t really notice in a game and that’s not a bad thing btw. 

You won’t notice him because he’s not flying into tackles like hutch and he’s not playing passes like bannan. He’s more of a Kieran Lee type, he just keeps us ticking over. 

He’s one of those players that’s always in the right place at the right time so you don’t really notice him. He doesn’t have to fly into tackles or sprint back into position so less noticeable.

My only criticism is that he always looks like he’s got more to give but that might just be his body language. 

From a replacement point of view, I wouldn’t be surprised if FDB is starting on a regular basis this season. He has got massive potential and I reckon he will end up leaving in the next season or so for a very high price. 

• Like 1

Not seen anything of him that shouts out that we need him to play the next game. 

He needs to get hold of the game by the scruff of the neck and impose himself much more. It's not that he's bad but he doesn't seem to get involve as if he's somehow playing the game separately to the other players.

He has to come out of the shadows as he as all the attributes required just not letting them come to the fore.

Definitely a player who has the  ability to step up a level in terms of workrate and what he can offer. 

How to get him to realise his potential is another matter,  thats down to himself and the coaches.

Convinced that he can offer much more without to much effort from him.

1 hour ago, Kopparberg said:

You’re right Neil. 

I think Fizzy is more likely to be Luongo's competition for a place in the side in that defensive/box-to-box role. Hunt is more creative, so more of an option to cover Bannan or Brown.

I reckon most of it is down to him not being able to get a decent run in the side last season due to injury and rotation. I think if he stays fit he gains some consistency and momentum and then you have a good quality CM at this level. I was frustrated for him last year as it was all a bit stop start. 

Don't think he is a great player, and certainly someone I don't want to see start 30 + games for us a season.

He is a squad player, who is capable but inconsistent.

Certainly are on the pitch where we must improve if we are to progress.