Massimo Luongo

Think it would be OTT to call him anything more than average. In all honesty I’ve been a bit disappointed in him overall. He came to us with a decent pedigree having played a lot for QPR, and although not the greatest national team he plays a lot for Australia.

In games he just seems to be ‘there’. I don’t really see him breaking up play much. What’s he really offering us? The comparisons with Kieran Lee are way off, Lee was box to box on a different level 

Saying that he’ll go on and score today 

• Like 2

Luongo is a very good player criminally underrated by some  he does a lot of work that isn’t picked up by the stats or score worldies so doesn’t stand out 

he’s often the player sat blocking a pass and taking up a position that causes the opposition to have to pass the ball back twenty yards

we as a fan base seem to prefer someone who runs round diving into challenges when in reality the only reason you need to leave your feet is if your in the wrong position To begin with and are trying to make up for it 

Paulo Maldini 

“if i have to make a tackle I’ve already made a mistake” 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Don't stats exist to pick up and report the work done by players?

If you watch his positioning when screening the defence he stops the ball coming into dangerous areas simply by occupying the correct space 

I’ve never seen a stat that says times forced opposition attack backwards by being in the right space 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jonnyowl said:

Think he'll be more defensive minded this season.

Agree with this. I had him pegged as an attack minded midfield player before his arrival here.

But I think the signing of Brown, combined with Luongos willingness to get stuck into the defensive parts of the game means he'll play a different role for us than he did for QPR.

24 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Agree with this. I had him pegged as an attack minded midfield player before his arrival here.

But I think the signing of Brown, combined with Luongos willingness to get stuck into the defensive parts of the game means he'll play a different role for us than he did for QPR.

Bannan and Brown are going to play every game when fit and I'd rather fit Luongo into the side as a defensive midfilder even if it not his natural game than play Pelupessy.

Edited by jonnyowl

3 hours ago, Owls-Fan said:

Looking forward to seeing Luongo, Bannan and Brown playing today hopefully, to see if they are as good as I’ve built them up in my head.

In my head, I think we’d struggle to get a better 3 players without spending millions. 

It feels like we've been waiting years to see Bannan in a 3. Hoping it really brings the best out in him.

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2020-09-19 at 08.43.21.jpg

Let's have a little chat about Luongo

There's an incredible player in there somewhere. A really powerful, dynamic, powerhouse of a player

If you notice, when he has a great game the whole team plays so much better as what he does impacts massively on the way we play,  and every other player on the pitch seems to step up their game.

Currenlty though he seems to only hit his potential about one game in every six.

The other 5 games out of those 6 he is either anonymous or just average

I don't know what we can do to bring out his real true potential, but I hope that the new coaching team can make him a more consistent player

If so we have a real exciting talent on our hands

I really like Luongo. I want him to become the player you can tell he could be

my thoughts exactly, probably needs a rocket up his arris

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2020-09-19 at 08.43.21.jpg

Let's have a little chat about Luongo

There's an incredible player in there somewhere. A really powerful, dynamic, powerhouse of a player

If you notice, when he has a great game the whole team plays so much better as what he does impacts massively on the way we play,  and every other player on the pitch seems to step up their game.

Currenlty though he seems to only hit his potential about one game in every six.

The other 5 games out of those 6 he is either anonymous or just average

I don't know what we can do to bring out his real true potential, but I hope that the new coaching team can make him a more consistent player

If so we have a real exciting talent on our hands

I really like Luongo. I want him to become the player you can tell he could be

Hope you're right, not seen it or convinced as yet. Looked a yard off the pace most of the games I've seen him in, and doesn't seemed blessed with pace. 

Fingers crossed he gets a run and shows some consistency.

He gets a fresh start this season. Last season was too disruptive to  base a proper analysis.

However if you did, he was very average and always appeared to be blowing out of his arse after 30 minutes.

His red card while harsh happened because he was off the pace.

Hopefully his fitness issues are over and we can see the proper player.