The Garry Monk Era is here...

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

You said Monk was getting sacked this summer Jim!

I did. I was wrong not for the first time and I’m sure certainly not for the last.

That said this has been done to death. A run like the manager had in the second half of the season usually results in the sack. In this case it hasn’t.

Is it due to Covid impacting finances? The points deduction? Or does the Chairman genuinely think he has the right man?

It could be any of those three reasons or even something else? I can see him getting the season regardless of how well or badly it goes TBH?

The recruitment hasn’t been bad. I think Brown in particular has been an astute signing. The lack of striker signings hasn’t surprised me though. I said we would go into the season with Rhodes and Hagan as our first choice strikers and there is still a chance I might be right?

FFS he doesn’t even rate Rhodes as his lack of involvement post lockdown showed? Come the end of the window we’ll more than likely have Windass and Da Cruz back? If this happens then this bright new era will still be the same crock of sh!t.

If we don’t win at least 3 of the first 5 games, the mood on here will be toxic and TBH given the way we’re being run at the minute this is what I’m totally expecting.

34 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

Total rubbish.

Everyone wants the club to be successful and I find it insulting that people claim that fans want anything other.

Most (70% in the last poll?) just don't think Garry Monk is the man to make us successful.

He's obviously going to be the manager next season, so let's hope it's a good one.

He gets 10 games for me, then we can judge. Clean slate, not for me the last 44 games have been largely rubbish!

Here is my View ,Monk has got his own coaches ,Not through his actions but we have a situation -12 points .He has got to sell the club to prospective recruits .I am ready to give him the clean slate ,We have some young lads that will make mistakes ,Am i glad no fan is allowed in ,Because some of you would crucify them .Monk did not get that -12 .So lets take what comes Support the Owls give these young lads the backing  they need .Leko opted to stay where he lives fine good luck to him ,He could be a crock anyway .Rhodes you owe this club big time now is the time we need you . Good luck to all at Sheffield Wednesday .WAWAW .

• Like 1
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, Jim said:

I did. I was wrong not for the first time and I’m sure certainly not for the last.

That said this has been done to death. A run like the manager had in the second half of the season usually results in the sack. In this case it hasn’t.

Is it due to Covid impacting finances? The points deduction? Or does the Chairman genuinely think he has the right man?

What about :

1) The first half of the season
2) Most of the first team players contracts coming to an end
3) Steven Fletcher getting injured
4) Covid kicking in around March
5) The number of injuries in the first team
6) Not having his own management/coaching structure

7) Having more first team masseurs than first team coaches
8 ) The overhanging EFL charge meaning the club could be relegated
9) The club's finances being called into question
10)  Games coming every other day due to Covid meaning no real coaching could take place
11) Westwood deciding he was 'injured' again and the replacement keepers being really weak
12) The EFL Hearing 
13) Fletcher and Fox clearing off - arguably our two strongest players

etc

etc

etc

etc

etc

etc

I  dont' know what you do for a living but..

1) It really cannot be managing people otherwise you'd understand the above points and it's impact on your ability to do your job properly
2) Whatever it is you do, if you were faced with all the above things hindering you there's no WAY you'd be able to perform

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

What about :

10)  Games coming every other day due to Covid meaning no real coaching could take place
11) Westwood deciding he was 'injured' again and the replacement keepers being really weak
12) The EFL Hearing 

etc

etc

etc

etc

etc

etc

1) It really cannot be managing people otherwise you'd understand the above points and it's impact on your ability to do your job properly
2) Whatever it is you do, if you were faced with all the above things hindering you there's no WAY you'd be able to perform

I’m not saying he hasn’t been dealt a rough hand. He has.

That said he hasn’t helped himself. I still believe had he managed certain players better then he would’ve had Fletcher, Fox and Forestieri available for the rest of last season.

His decision to go with Dawson who let’s face it wouldn’t get into most league 1 or 2 sides was a total joke. Wildsmith in all fairness isn’t much better but one will be first choice next season. If Flahavan isn’t a miracle worker we are well and truly in the sh!t. Yet we have one of the best keepers in the championship sat on his ar$e drawing how many grand a week?

I don’t have confidence in him to do the job that’s required. It’s only a matter of time before this new found team spirit is unsettled due to **** falling out with someone else? It’s what he does everywhere he’s been?

As I’ve said before I hope he proves me wrong but unless he puts the team first rather than his own interests then I fear he won’t?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

What about :

12) The EFL Hearing 

etc

etc

etc

etc

etc

etc

More excuses than errrr Garry Monk.

• Like 1

I want to be positive about next season but I'm just too worried especially starting on -12.

The squad is poor and needs alot of improvements.

We need a huge turn around in form from the end of last season to get out of this mess we are in.

Reading were 4th bottom and had 8 points after 10 games last season so we need 20 from the first 10 games.

We need a good start or we could be adrift and in a very dire situation.

Edited by jonnyowl
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Yellowbelly said:

I think consolidate our position in the league this season, followed by a top half finish and potential promotion push in the following couple of seasons. Despite opinions to the contrary, Monk will need a couple more transfer windows to change the profile of the team and get the side he wants. 

Im 60 now , and I've got to be patient again ...another 3 seasons and a potential promotion push.....f.ook me rigid !

Just dawned on me, i was 40 the last time we were in the prem......sob  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

If this were true, then your post will be gone in a matter of minutes, as will this reply.

They won't though, because you're speaking nonsense.

For starters, it's well-documented that Neil is fully behind Monk and thinks he deserves to be given a chance. Now take a look at how many posts there are criticising Monk and calling for him to be sacked. Wouldn't all of these posts have been deleted if what you say is true?

:duntmatter:

Woww I never said it was to do with this topic lol, I agreed with his OP..

Plus, how do you know me and you aren't the only ones who can see these posts?! Thats how they get ya

Edited by keepitsteel89

6 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

What about :

1) The first half of the season                Ran on the Back of Bruce's restructure - then destroyed it after Christmas
2) Most of the first team players contracts coming to an end - In this situation more often than not players put in an extra shift to get resigned
3) Steven Fletcher getting injured - Wow, a footballer getting injured, blimey, Monk didn't even plan for that ? 
4) Covid kicking in around March - Affected all the clubs, not just ours, total none starter as a benchmark
5) The number of injuries in the first team - Happens to all clubs, it's called MANAGING THE SITUATION
6) Not having his own management/coaching structure - There are dozens of coaches out there.... what does Monk do ? Waits for his mates to give em a few quid. Jesus !!  I'd be happy if they were any good.... but this " dream team " has failed at every club.

7) Having more first team masseurs than first team coaches - HE waited for " his " staff
8 ) The overhanging EFL charge meaning the club could be relegated - Even more reason to motivate the players the second half of the season, what we saw was abysmal
9) The club's finances being called into question - Which clubs aren't ?
10)  Games coming every other day due to Covid meaning no real coaching could take place - Again, every single club had the same problem
11) Westwood deciding he was 'injured' again and the replacement keepers being really weak - Did Westwood decide he was injured ? Seems he was o.k when Bruce was here, bring on monk and well, it's been done to death. Funny how other players were given the same cold shoulder.
12) The EFL Hearing - 
13) Fletcher and Fox clearing off - arguably our two strongest players - It's a managers job to fight for the players that are a positive to the team, he did a great job there eh ?

etc

etc

etc

etc

etc

etc

2) Whatever it is you do, if you were faced with all the above things hindering you there's no WAY you'd be able to perform - Yes there is, you'd overcome those obstacles. there may be a blip, but Monk didn't give a t055 the second half of the season. He showed utter disinterest. You don't give up like he did, you motivate those you have around you and fight.

Monk stuck his head up his own backside and did sod all. 

That's the bloke we have leading us in a -12 start.

UP THE OWLS  !!

Let's hope he changes !  For the clubs sake.

7 hours ago, cbirks said:

I've never seen it called North Korea. 

Ever. 

(And as you're calling it that due to an apparent reputation for positivity, I really think you've got the wrong site.)

UTO. Here's hoping it's a blinder.

Mate it’s been a standing joke for years ( even the boss has confirmed that). The comment wasn’t about “ positivity”, it was about propaganda. It was a tongue in cheek dig at Niels “ everything in the garden is rosy” opening post.

just for clarity I’ve been a member of owlstalk for donkey years and love it, so maybe it is the right site for me. I’m just not happy with what’s going on at the club at the moment. I’m in my sixties now so I haven’t got time for another seventies!

1 hour ago, Mister Soul said:

Yeah.. mind numbing. Some people could spoil a good funeral. Monk was never my first choice but the OP sums it up .. he’s finally got his team at his disposal 

Are you genuinely happy with the “ team at his disposal”?