The Garry Monk Era is here...

24 minutes ago, quinnssweetshop said:

How can employing failures be a positive ?

I seem to keep posting this same thing in response to comments like this, but Monk and his team did have done good jobs given the circumstances in which they were working...

Swansea were two points above the bottom three when Monk took over from Michael Laudrup. By the end of that season they were 9 points clear and comfortably avoided the drop.

The following season, he led Swansea to 8th in the Premier League, missing out on European football by four points. In his final season at Swansea, they were 15th in the Premier league after 15 games, at which point he was sacked. They finished the season in 12th.

He then took the reigns of a Leeds side who'd finished 13th the season before and guided them to 7th in the Championship, before resigning at the end of the season. Leeds finished 13th again the following season.

Following that, he moved to recently-relegated Middlesbrough and had them sat 9th in the Championship, three points off the top six at the halfway point, before being sacked. Pulis took over and they finished in the top six by three points, before missing out on the playoffs the following season.

He then took over at Birmingham City, who were in the bottom three with eleven games to go. They survived the drop by five points. The following season, despite a nine point deduction, he took Birmingham to 17th place, before being sacked. Birmingham finished 17th but with 12 fewer points the following season.

I'm not saying he's the next Guardiola, but he's not a bad manager, either. Given the contexts and what he's had to work with, he's done at least a decent job at every club he's managed. Only Leeds have improved since he left, and that took a new chairman, a turnover of more than 40 players, and managerial legend Bielsa's revolution to achieve.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I seem to keep posting this same thing in response to comments like this, but Monk and his team did have done good jobs given the circumstances in which they were working...

Swansea were two points above the bottom three when Monk took over from Michael Laudrup. By the end of that season they were 9 points clear and comfortably avoided the drop.

The following season, he led Swansea to 8th in the Premier League, missing out on European football by four points. In his final season at Swansea, they were 15th in the Premier league after 15 games, at which point he was sacked. They finished the season in 12th.

He then took the reigns of a Leeds side who'd finished 13th the season before and guided them to 7th in the Championship, before resigning at the end of the season. Leeds finished 13th again the following season.

Following that, he moved to recently-relegated Middlesbrough and had them sat 9th in the Championship, three points off the top six at the halfway point, before being sacked. Pulis took over and they finished in the top six by three points, before missing out on the playoffs the following season.

He then took over at Birmingham City, who were in the bottom three with eleven games to go. They survived the drop by five points. The following season, despite a nine point deduction, he took Birmingham to 17th place, before being sacked. Birmingham finished 17th but with 12 fewer points the following season.

I'm not saying he's the next Guardiola, but he's not a bad manager, either. Given the contexts and what he's had to work with, he's done at least a decent job at every club he's managed. Only Leeds have improved since he left, and that took a new chairman, a turnover of more than 40 players, and managerial legend Bielsa's revolution to achieve.

And he spent how much at each ?

47 minutes ago, vulva said:

The huge positive to Monk bringing in his is own staff is that Bullen, for no logical reason or substance, won’t get anymore blame for the worlds problems on here. 

I heard Bullen put Leko off from signing 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, 83owl said:

As far as I’m aware none of the clubs since he left have had transfer embargo’s or points deductions so I imagine he’s spent within his limits.

He left them a while ago. lets not forget he has actually managed us for 44 games.

he's not a new manager here

it's not a new start

His record once he instigated his own methods were ABYSMAL

This is the bloke in charge of us for the coming season with a depleted squad and untested additions

he has done absolutely sod all.

All the pro Monk bunch are living on HOPE, not realty.

22 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2020-08-27 at 10.26.24.jpg

Now he has his own coaching and management set up finally in place, and the flushing out of the squad is happening and new hungry exciting players are coming to the club we are now properly entering the Garry Monk Era.

What do you think it will bring with it?

I think personally we will start to see exciting attacking football again with wing backs, crosses, counter attacks, and plenty of goals. I think it's a really exciting time and the points deduction no longer worries me  (after the initial shock/horror set in I can now see moves from the club to really go for it)

I think we'll do well under this new regime and I think the new coaching staff will really motivate this new group to do well.

I also think we will finally really start to see a happier and more successful Garry Monk who has been backed by the chairman and who is going to do much better now he can get the tired old faces out of the club and some fresh positive attitudes coming in to challenge the players who are remaining.

It's clear Garry Monk wants to create a team we can be proud of, who work their butts off to represent us in the Sheffield Wednesday shirt and he's promised us that he will create a real team to take pride in.

I'm looking forward to it

The Garry Monk era is finally beginning and it's already looking very exciting indeed

My house has just burned down, my car's been nicked, my wife's left me, and I've got ringworm for good measure.

It's already looking very exciting indeed.

For the love of God.

Let's just, for one minute, think of the consequences if Monk was fired tomorrow. This is even disregarding the fact that nobody knows how Monk will get on next season after bringing in his own team and players

1. Which manager is likely to want to join the club with a deduction that has a better record than Monk? Name 1. In fact name 1 who has managed to rescue a team with a points deduction 

2. All the work done over the last few weeks will be completely undone leading to unmotivated players

3. Players who WANT to play for Monk,or who have joined to play for Monk will be unsettled

4. Players having to learn new tactics and methods of working when we're so close to the start of the season

5. Monk goes with a payoff as do all of the backroom staff we have just appointed that may or may not actually improve the team. Then we're back at square one. We're down a few bob and have no leadership.

6. Possibly players returning to the squad who have been identified as bad eggs with no proof that they'll actually be any better than the other players in that position.

7. Players such as Bannan, Reach, Iorfa - our better players - who may have been sold on a vision may suddenly think it's not for them and up and leave. With little time to replace or guarantee we can get the same or better

For me, it's a fresh start for the season where the only variable is the points deduction rather than the massive list last season.

Just now, quinnssweetshop said:

To finish where they finished then he failed at Swansea Boro and Brum

Eh?

Swansea made more than £7m profit on transfers during his time in charge, all while competing in the Premier League.

He improved Leeds from 13th to 7th in the Championship with a net spend of less than a million.

Middlesbrough are the only club where he (or their transfer committee as is the way of the modern game) spent much more than they brought in, but that's not unusual for a newly-relegated team coming down from the Premier League and trying to avoid the kind of post-relegation slump suffered by many other teams. He had them competing for the playoffs at the point he was sacked.

At Birmingham he was able to spend money on one player whilst having to make do with free signings and loans for the rest due to their P&S issues. To have kept them up from where they were and then to easily overcome their points deduction to finish 17th could hardly be considered a failure.

7 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Eh?

Swansea made more than £7m profit on transfers during his time in charge, all while competing in the Premier League.

He improved Leeds from 13th to 7th in the Championship with a net spend of less than a million.

Middlesbrough are the only club where he (or their transfer committee as is the way of the modern game) spent much more than they brought in, but that's not unusual for a newly-relegated team coming down from the Premier League and trying to avoid the kind of post-relegation slump suffered by many other teams. He had them competing for the playoffs at the point he was sacked.

At Birmingham he was able to spend money on one player whilst having to make do with free signings and loans for the rest due to their P&S issues. To have kept them up from where they were and then to easily overcome their points deduction to finish 17th could hardly be considered a failure.

Sacked Sacked Sacked and asked to leave. 

The boy did good ( obviously )

What is it you deem as success,  existence ?

33 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

His net spend at each club according to transfermarkt.com:

Swansea: + £7.3m

Leeds: - £900K

Middlesbrough: - £11.5m

Birmingham: - £2.25m

He bought 11 players in six months at Borough, including £15m on asombalonga. So that’s wrong without even looking. 

1 minute ago, quinnssweetshop said:

Sacked Sacked Sacked and asked to leave. 

The boy did good ( obviously )

What is it you deem as success,  existence ?

I don't think you really want a discussion, do you?

I've already discussed his tenure at each club and how they fared following his departure, but you ignored that in order to focus on how much money he'd been backed with.

Now that doesn't suit your stance, we're back to the fact he's been sacked by some of his past clubs, which is hardly surprising for a football manager with more than a couple of years' experience.

The only club it could reasonably be argued that he underperformed at given the circumstances under which he was working is Middlesbrough, and even then I'm not sure that having them three points off the top six with half a season still to play was a bad performance, especially after having a net spend of £12m with which to turn around a sinking ship.

To return to your question, though: success is all relative, isn't it? I'd class anything other than relegation next season as a successful season given the state of our squad and the points deduction. How about you?