The Garry Monk Era is here...

9 minutes ago, royalowlisback said:

Look forward to what?

I know your question wasn't directed at me, but I'm looking forward to the season starting and us playing football.

Whether I'll be happy with the performance and results I can't say until they happen.

But that's football isn't it ? WAWAW

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Emilianenko said:

So are we all supposed to ignore facts and back Monk on blind faith alone.

Not at all

I think the sensible thing for everyone to consider and do regarding this matter is firstly to disregard your utterly baffling mad criteria that you set for hiring and firing managers

lol

After that then we need to look at all the mitigating circumstances for the teams performance last season, whilst also taking into account the total success of the first half of the season from Garry Monk before everything else kicked in and derailed it

That would be the logical, fair, sensible mature thing to do

For instance... 

What about :

1) The success of the first half of the season
2) Most of the first team players contracts coming to an end
3) Steven Fletcher getting injured
4) Covid kicking in around March
5) The number of injuries in the first team
6) Not having his own management/coaching structure

7) Having more first team masseurs than first team coaches
8 ) The overhanging EFL charge meaning the club could be relegated
9) The club's finances being called into question
10)  Games coming every other day due to Covid meaning no real coaching could take place
11) Westwood deciding he was 'injured' again and the replacement keepers being really weak
12) The EFL Hearing 
13) Fletcher and Fox clearing off - arguably our two strongest players

Owlstalk Shop

Guest Kagoshimaowl
23 hours ago, royalowlisback said:

Apologise with a z!

Ah I see. The mobile phones in Japan always auto correct to American English. Because I’m a lazy sod, I can’t be bothered to check posts.

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Not at all

I think the sensible thing for everyone to consider and do regarding this matter is firstly to disregard your utterly baffling mad criteria that you set for hiring and firing managers

lol

After that then we need to look at all the mitigating circumstances for the teams performance last season, whilst also taking into account the total success of the first half of the season from Garry Monk before everything else kicked in and derailed it

That would be the logical, fair, sensible mature thing to do

For instance... 

What about :

10)  Games coming every other day due to Covid meaning no real coaching could take place
11) Westwood deciding he was 'injured' again and the replacement keepers being really weak
12) The EFL Hearing 

Okay I will address this for you.

1) Monk by his own admission didn’t do much at the start he was just learning about his new team. When he put his own stamp on it we went into freefall.

2) Yes this is true, he has to do without them this season apart from the one player he re-signed a certain Joey Pelupessy.

3) One player getting injured is no excuse especially as he won’t have that player this season.

4)Did covid miraculously only affect us or did it save Monks job?

5) All teams have injuries, a good manager adapts.

6) The same coaching staff he has failed with before?

7) we need then cos of point 5, he has only brought in one extra staff to what he had last year.

😎 it’s a managers job to galvanise the players with a siege mentality in circumstances like this.

9) See above , it shouldn’t affect the players 

10) same for every team

11) Monk has decided to keep those same week keepers this season 

12) Again manager should galvanise players

13) Not here this season either

30 minutes ago, royalowlisback said:

Think you're drunk mate.

I've never seen a Monk side play exciting football, the conceding part definitely, and if that excites you, you're welcome to it.

?? i simply said its an UNKNOWN,but as a football fan,,& Sheff Wed supporter,ime looking forward to the season starting and following my team.

Edited by parajack

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

MASSIVE MASSIVE IRONY ALERT HERE

I've literally just this minute posted Monk's stats compared to Chris Wilder's stats and Garry Monk's are far far superior

lol

Or maybe we should take YOUR stats about only the second half of last season and forget the first half?
 🤣

Of course that wouldn't be twisting what you want to suit your agenda would it?  (based on his stats)

lol

Even Ironically ironic !!! lol

history.jpg

Edited by quinnssweetshop

7 minutes ago, Emilianenko said:

Okay I will address this for you.

1) Monk by his own admission didn’t do much at the start he was just learning about his new team. When he put his own stamp on it we went into freefall.

2) Yes this is true, he has to do without them this season apart from the one player he re-signed a certain Joey Pelupessy.

3) One player getting injured is no excuse especially as he won’t have that player this season.

4)Did covid miraculously only affect us or did it save Monks job?

5) All teams have injuries, a good manager adapts.

6) The same coaching staff he has failed with before?

7) we need then cos of point 5, he has only brought in one extra staff to what he had last year.

😎 it’s a managers job to galvanise the players with a siege mentality in circumstances like this.

9) See above , it shouldn’t affect the players 

10) same for every team

11) Monk has decided to keep those same week keepers this season 

12) Again manager should galvanise players

13) Not here this season either

Amazing

Would love to see your list excusing Hitler of all his atrocities too - you'd do a cracking job I'm sure

lol

Owlstalk Shop

15 minutes ago, Emilianenko said:

So are we all supposed to ignore facts and back Monk on blind faith alone.

No, by all means discuss the facts that I posted earlier in this thread:

Swansea were two points above the bottom three when Monk took over from Michael Laudrup. By the end of that season they were 9 points clear and comfortably avoided the drop.

The following season, he led Swansea to 8th in the Premier League, missing out on European football by four points. In his final season at Swansea, they were 15th in the Premier league after 15 games, at which point he was sacked. They finished the season in 12th.

He then took the reigns of a Leeds side who'd finished 13th the season before and guided them to 7th in the Championship, before resigning at the end of the season. Leeds finished 13th again the following season.

Following that, he moved to recently-relegated Middlesbrough and had them sat 9th in the Championship, three points off the top six at the halfway point, before being sacked. Pulis took over and they finished in the top six by three points, before missing out on the playoffs the following season.

He then took over at Birmingham City, who were in the bottom three with eleven games to go. They survived the drop by five points. The following season, despite a nine point deduction, he took Birmingham to 17th place, before being sacked. Birmingham finished 17th but with 12 fewer points the following season.

As it's apparently also important to include, the net transfer spend of each club during his tenure was:

Swansea: + £7.3m (profit)

Leeds: - £900K

Middlesbrough: - £11.5m

Birmingham: - £2.25m

Given the contexts and what he's had to work with, he's done at least a decent job at every club he's managed as far as I'm concerned. Only Leeds have improved since he left, and that took a new chairman, a turnover of more than 40 players, and managerial legend Bielsa's revolution to achieve.

I can 100% understand people having reservations about Monk following our results in the second half of last season (I have them myself) but the way some talk about his career to date is completely inaccurate.

• Love 4

2 minutes ago, quinnssweetshop said:

Even Ironically ironic !!! lol

history.jpg

Put ANY of those managers into the situation Garry Monk faced last season and see what their win rate would have been..

Different managers, different times, different squads, different leagues, different chairmen, different finances, different environment entirely

Comparing one Wednesday managers stats to another's is so naive I'm not even going to continue with this repl..............

Owlstalk Shop

23 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Fair points but for god's sake I want entertaining football as well.  

believe it or not,i have heard people say all they are bothered about is the three points & a 'win'...not too concerned about the performance....personally i find that view strange..YES i want to win,but i want to win in style,and see exciting,attacking football....Thats why i like the long ball game,..done effectively

Just now, @owlstalk said:

Put ANY of those managers into the situation Garry Monk faced last season and see what their win rate would have been..

Different managers, different times, different squads, different leagues, different chairmen, different finances, different environment entirely

Comparing one Wednesday managers stats to another's is so naive I'm not even going to continue with this repl..............

....Y Not ? lol

He had a team available to him. We were the worst team out there given what we had available to us. It's as easy to see, as your argument.

But hey

UTO

1 minute ago, quinnssweetshop said:

....Y Not ? lol

He had a team available to him. We were the worst team out there given what we had available to us. It's as easy to see, as your argument.

But hey

UTO

Let's also take into account...

12) The EFL Hearing 

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop