The Garry Monk Era is here...

Just now, Owls-Fan said:

Even Klopp would struggle to polish a turd, our squad currently looks weaker than the second half of last season.  

Without signing any more decent players then finishing 4th bottom is going to be a massive achievement.  At least we seem to be following the financial rules now so come next season we can rebuild again, hopefully in the championship.  That’s where my optimism is at right now 

Every chance we could start the season after with another points deduction though.

3 minutes ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

Well at least it seems he's got better contacts within the English game than Carlos and Jos and he won't be conned by some advisor or agent.  That's got to be a start.  And might just save us a bob or 2 as well.

That’s the encouragement I took, but I wonder how many of those players he’ll manage to bring in. Garner, Hickey and Leko, all exciting youngsters, but will any of them end up here

22 minutes ago, Tommycraign10others said:

I think anyone who listened to the recent Bannan interview will have gleaned some information in the struggles GM had. Not only the “rumoured” unrest in the dressing room but going form one match to the other with no time in between and no coaching assistants he could rely on. 
I accept it’s about opinions but I just wish some would try and put some perspective on his situation. 
He has now got his team around him, a short ore season and the first of 3 or 4 transfer windows   It’s time to get behind him

Bang on the money

Owlstalk Shop

I think what this thread is proven beyond all doubt is that there are some that just don't want the Garry Monk era to be successful (they will claim otherwise of course), and that anyone found to be in disagreement with their stance that he's rubbish, the players could have been managed, the lack of preparation time between games, the loss of Fletcher, the Covid situation, the end of most of the first team's contracts and the looming threat of relegation from the EFL case - means that you will be jumped on for having a positive stance now that we are through all of that, have rid the clubs of bad eggs, overpaid players, started bringing fresh new players in, a brand new coaching and management structure, a new assistant manager etc etc

Some people can't/won't put aside their stubborn outdated views and actually give the manager a clean slate and a fair opportunity

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Owlstalk Shop

4 hours ago, Plonk said:

And people wonder why this site is referred to as North Korea. Seriously Niel, I appreciate your trying to drum up some enthusiasm, but a kid a CB whose never played above mid table, and Izzy Brown are not adequate replacements for those that have left. We were nose diving last season, we look weaker now, and this new era needs a really big boost in the next few days.

We've had plenty of players who have played above mid table championship, and that didn't work. Conversely, our neighbours recruited quite a number of players who'd never played higher than championship and the rest they say, is history. 

Edited by AwokenGiant
  • Like 1

Guest gizowl
3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I think what this thread is proven beyond all doubt is that there are some that just don't want the Garry Monk era to be successful (they will claim otherwise of course), and that anyone found to be in disagreement with their stance that he's rubbish, the players could have been managed, the lack of preparation time between games, the loss of Fletcher, the Covid situation, the end of most of the first team's contracts and the looming threat of relegation from the EFL case - means that you will be jumped on for having a positive stance now that we are through all of that, have rid the clubs of bad eggs, overpaid players, started bringing fresh new players in, a brand new coaching and management structure, a new assistant manager etc etc

Some people can't/won't put aside their stubborn outdated views and actually give the manager a clean slate and a fair opportunity

Spot on their not happy unless they're kicking someone. 

Just now, AwokenGiant said:

We've had plenty of players who have played above mid table championship, and that didn't work. Conversely, our neighbours recruited quite a number of players who'd never played higher than championship and the rest they say, is history. 

Exactly!

If it was as simple as buying players who are 'the best' and who have past experience of success/promotion then it would be dead easy wouldnt' it?

The thing is it never ever works out that way and so its just a complete nonsense to just recruit 'the best' players

• Thanks 1

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Exactly!

If it was as simple as buying players who are 'the best' and who have past experience of success/promotion then it would be dead easy wouldnt' it?

The thing is it never ever works out that way and so its just a complete nonsense to just recruit 'the best' players

Spot on Neil. 

5 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2020-08-27 at 10.26.24.jpg

Now he has his own coaching and management set up finally in place, and the flushing out of the squad is happening and new hungry exciting players are coming to the club we are now properly entering the Garry Monk Era.

What do you think it will bring with it?

I think personally we will start to see exciting attacking football again with wing backs, crosses, counter attacks, and plenty of goals. I think it's a really exciting time and the points deduction no longer worries me  (after the initial shock/horror set in I can now see moves from the club to really go for it)

I think we'll do well under this new regime and I think the new coaching staff will really motivate this new group to do well.

I also think we will finally really start to see a happier and more successful Garry Monk who has been backed by the chairman and who is going to do much better now he can get the tired old faces out of the club and some fresh positive attitudes coming in to challenge the players who are remaining.

It's clear Garry Monk wants to create a team we can be proud of, who work their butts off to represent us in the Sheffield Wednesday shirt and he's promised us that he will create a real team to take pride in.

I'm looking forward to it

The Garry Monk era is finally beginning and it's already looking very exciting indeed

Looks like the cast of the next undatables 

• Haha 3