The Garry Monk Era is here...

2 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

How do you define success? 

I think consolidate our position in the league this season, followed by a top half finish and potential promotion push in the following couple of seasons. Despite opinions to the contrary, Monk will need a couple more transfer windows to change the profile of the team and get the side he wants. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Fair points but for god's sake I want entertaining football as well.  

Agree totally but to be fair it wasn’t his team .

what I could never understand is he got Them playing some good exciting football at the beginning .

then the next minute they was woeful now in my eyes that’s the players not the manager .

That’s why I want to give him a fair crack of the whip and say look this is your team this is your players if he’s doing  well given nothing but praise .

but if it isn’t then we can say exactly what I’ve just said he’s team is management skills is not up to par......

1 minute ago, Owlsend said:

what I could never understand is he got Them playing some good exciting football at the beginning .

then the next minute they was woeful now in my eyes that’s the players not the manager .

That’s why I want to give him a fair crack of the whip and say look this is your team this is your players if he’s doing  well given nothing but praise .

but if it isn’t then we can say exactly what I’ve just said he’s team is management skills is not up to par......

Have never been a fan of Monk purely down to his style of football, but my pet hate with clubs is sacking managers even before they have got their feet under the table.

After the lockdown even though the results didn't go our way there was an emphasis on taking the game to the opposition and with finer finishing we could have had a much better return points wise.

I hope he carries on with this tactic but it does mean getting more quality attack minded players in which will be difficult as players won't be impressed coming to a club with minus twelve points.  As I suspect the Leko case demonstrates.

Probably the most important transfer window for many seasons, hope the club and Monk are up to the challenge. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Plonk said:

Forth from bottom next season. 

League wise totally agree,to remain in the Championship is vital,but success also i feel would be to see a better 'Team' spirit, less individual 'mistakes,and players fighting for,and being proud of the shirt,& once getting one,not wanting to lose it.....

15 minutes ago, Owlsend said:

The football was OK at the beginning, because Monk, understandably so, took a hands off approach and carried on with what Bruce, and latterly, Bullen, had put in place. I can remember, even in the second month of his tenure, him saying that he was still learning about the squad he had inherited, and at that time he was only looking to make the odd tweak. This impressed me, it was the sensible approach, and with the team well placed, a decent January window, and there was no reason why we shouldn’t continue to be there or thereabouts. 
Then he had his mad moment, I won’t go into to detail, as it’s been covered many times before, but suffice to say, we could, and should have avoided that sort of upheaval. There were other factors of course, not least Fletcher’s untimely injury, but I think when the manager had time to reflect on that period, he may consider he should have done things differently. 
However, that’s done and dusted now, and as long as lessons are learned, we can start afresh. I have to say, I am encouraged by what of seen so far in this relatively short closed season. When it comes to our recruitment, I’m a hard man to please, but in the main, our targets have been impressive. Generally young, high energy players who are good on the ball. I like it that we are pursuing quality players like Garner, Brown, Hickey and Leko. Sure I know we won’t get all our targets, not least because they are good enough to be courted by many other clubs. If we pursue this policy, there is no reason why the football should be so turgid, because you don’t sign exciting young players like that, just to play hoof ball. They are good footballers, who if harnessed by the manager, into the hard working unit he envisages, we won’t go far wrong. What I don’t want to see is, him get frustrated at not getting his first choices, and then reverting to a more pragmatic approach, just to try and stay up. We have to turn away from that type of short term thinking, and build a proper football team

• Like 1

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

I think what this thread is proven beyond all doubt is that there are some that just don't want the Garry Monk era to be successful (they will claim otherwise of course), and that anyone found to be in disagreement with their stance that he's rubbish, the players could have been managed, the lack of preparation time between games, the loss of Fletcher, the Covid situation, the end of most of the first team's contracts and the looming threat of relegation from the EFL case - means that you will be jumped on for having a positive stance now that we are through all of that, have rid the clubs of bad eggs, overpaid players, started bringing fresh new players in, a brand new coaching and management structure, a new assistant manager etc etc

Some people can't/won't put aside their stubborn outdated views and actually give the manager a clean slate and a fair opportunity

But it's still Monk. It's not an outdated view. Good grief. Take a look at the stats. And yes I'd love him to be successful. But you can't go on hope alone.. Can you? 

This is the same Monk who's decision making ability had been questioned throughout his career. 

Yes. You can say... Fresh start etc. But it's still the same " Manager " Who made all those absurd tactical decisions since Christmas.. The same bloke whose excuses wore thin.... He had a decent bunch of players to  choose from... And couldnt get 30 % out of them. 

I'm looking forward to a fresh start. Can't wait for the season to begin again  . But it's Monk.... He really is a bad manager.. He's proven that, and with a side that should have  at least done way better. Even with the misfits out. 

The Gary Monk 44 game era has been a disaster so far.... He had 44 games... Not 10..... And.... He screwed it up 

Yes... I want us to win. Yes... I'm positive for the season... I'm always positive we will win... That's why I get so bloody deflated when we lose. 

But Monk.. Is a crap manager who brings absolutely NOTHING to us if he stays the way he was. 

If he changes.. Then great..  And if we achieve a level of consistency, then I'll applaud him for those changes in his managerial style..But he's displayed  the same tactical prowess that he showed at other clubs.... We have to go on that.... Not just hope. 

UTO

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Guest Ferkorf

I find it quite scary that Chansiri has chosen to back him when there wasn't anything from last season that we can take as a positive at all and build on.

Our top goal scorer has fled, the squads thin and without being overly critical we only added a youth team player and 2 injury prone players.

There was nothing about monks style of play and tactics last year that gave me any confidence that we should be letting him build a team.

Unfortunately he has been given that chance so I can only hope he can prove me wrong and if we are relegated I can't blame monk. Only one person to blame for that

5 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

I think what this thread is proven beyond all doubt is that there are some that just don't want the Garry Monk era to be successful (they will claim otherwise of course), and that anyone found to be in disagreement with their stance that he's rubbish, the players could have been managed, the lack of preparation time between games, the loss of Fletcher, the Covid situation, the end of most of the first team's contracts and the looming threat of relegation from the EFL case - means that you will be jumped on for having a positive stance now that we are through all of that, have rid the clubs of bad eggs, overpaid players, started bringing fresh new players in, a brand new coaching and management structure, a new assistant manager etc etc

Some people can't/won't put aside their stubborn outdated views and actually give the manager a clean slate and a fair opportunity

Spot on. 

Times are hard but over the last 20 years, rarely has it been an easy ride. At least now any fan can see, there is a transition happening. Long overdue granted but it’s happening and it won’t be a smooth ride. Starting with a heavy height of a deduction, however, look forward and get behind new team/staff and let’s see what happens. If it doesn’t work out, people will say “I told you so” but does it make you feel good that the negative crap was proven right?

6 hours ago, jonnyowl said:

Don't forget Hutchinson played 23 games up till January.

Westwood was out of form.

But nobody will ever convince me, that having Dawson in goal over Westwood and Pelupessy in midfield over Hutchinson is a better option!

It is now a complete and utter waste of time going back over the history of Westwood and Hutchinson.

I was in favour of Monk leaving.

But Monk is here to stay, and to stay for some time.

That is what Chansiri has decided, as is shown by bringing in Monk's staff.

Too much pessimism on here.

New season, new staff, some new players, more new players to come...  

Brighten up folks !

Play-offs here we come, next season if not this season !

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I’ve said all along that it was ridiculous that Monk wasn’t surrounded by his own staff. I’m very pleased he has got that now. He has for a while now been saying the right things in his interviews, as soon as the season starts it will be time to back up what he has been saying and get us performing on the pitch. 

• Like 1

To be brutally honest I was not in favour of Monk being appointed or the process leading up to his appointment.

However despite my concerns I have to concede that last season he was hamstrung due to dealing with an inherited squad with no assistance from a back room staff of his choice.

This season though he has his own staff & he has reshaped the squad in to something that should fit (more closely) to his requirements.

I am desperate for Garry Monk to do well because as a consequence Wednesday will do well.

I won’t see this season as a continuation of last season but instead as a fresh chapter.

He should be given a reasonable amount of time to develop his first XI.

Any prior judgement of Monk (negative or positive) should be put to one side in anticipation of how we may perform this season.

There is no benefit in any further disruption to the pre season.

If, after a reasonable amount of time, there has been no improvement in results or performances then a change might be required but let’s not write anyone off before a ball has been kicked.

We’re all Wednesday aren’t we?!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Total rubbish.

Everyone wants the club to be successful and I find it insulting that people claim that fans want anything other.

Most (70% in the last poll?) just don't think Garry Monk is the man to make us successful.

He's obviously going to be the manager next season, so let's hope it's a good one.

He gets 10 games for me, then we can judge. Clean slate, not for me the last 44 games have been largely rubbish!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Anthndav said:

Andy Hughes is the real wildcard in that group. The others have all worked together before but I think the addition of Hughes will really keep that management unit on their own toes too and bring something refreshing to Monks Management Team.

True can we dispense with the rest and give him a go ?

The fact that **** is still in charge tells me the Chairman isn’t bothered anymore? I could honestly see a scenario regardless of how sh!t we are that **** stays in charge until the Chairman sells up whenever if at all that may be?

5 minutes ago, Jim said:

The fact that **** is still in charge tells me the Chairman isn’t bothered anymore? I could honestly see a scenario regardless of how sh!t we are that **** stays in charge until the Chairman sells up whenever if at all that may be?

You said Monk was getting sacked this summer Jim!

Owlstalk Shop