Van Aken will be allowed to leave

I dont get why we'd get rid of him.

If we are going to be playing 3 at the back we are going to need 5 center backs.

So whats the point in getting rid of our 5th choice only to have to get another center back in.

Id rather we'd focus on other positions.

10 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

If we are going to be playing 3 at the back we are going to need 5 center backs.

So whats the point in getting rid of our 5th choice only to have to get another center back in.

Obviously Monk doesn't rate him at all. Would rather get a short term loan in if needs arise then play JVA.

17 minutes ago, Quadzilla said:

He was the only player of that era who was actually in a good age bracket. Shame he was also the worst amongst them.

Strange one Van aken. When he first came it seemed a logical signing. Good age, tall, seemed confident and good on the ball. And with Loovens still here, he had the perfect mentor. 

Shame he’s soft as poo and can’t defend 

:duntmatter:

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

No point having him if he just doesn't fit. We have probably spent too many years hoarding players that aren't going to have any impact. He is probably on a decent wage and still has contract and age on his side to maybe get a bit of cash back. Also he might want to leave. Overall i'd rather get rid and get some space free'd up for someone that is going to have an impact. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Agree with this. Lees can actually defend and he was excellent with Loovens next to him. Good back up option at the least.

Shouldn’t this be the other way round.

Younger players being given some slack & described as “excellent with Lees next to him”.  

Amazes me how some players get given slack & others get crucified for far less.

Lees’s display against Derby was possibly one of the worst performances I can ever recall.

We lost a good full back in Fox, largely because of earlier sustained abuse from the crowd, whereas Lees who has had far worse sustained form had excuses made for him & that he was “excellent” when another player approaching retirement, carried him.

Someone saying “we can do better” re Borner & no mention of Lees.

Amazing.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 83owl said:

Lees plays like a lost child that has stumbled onto the pitch. He’s hesitant, indecisive and looks scared of his own shadow. He doesn’t close down he will happily back off an attacker until he gets tangled in the net. 25k a week for a back up option.

And, when he gets the ball, his distribution is pretty poor as well. Not the player he once was

4 hours ago, CalmJimmers said:

Agreed, not given up on Lees either, but think he should have the captaincy taken away from him and a leader put next to him. 

Yes good point. I think people forget just how good Lees was with Loovens alongside him. We conceded less than a goal a game in Carlos 2 full seasons and Lees played a big part in that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Quadzilla said:

He was the only player of that era who was actually in a good age bracket. Shame he was also the worst amongst them.

You're forgetting Sam Winnall. Right age bracket and price bracket. Shame we foooked it up anyway 

• Like 1

I seem to recall, Dutch club Vitesse Arnhem were looking at him, before he went to Germany If there’s still interest, maybe there’s a swap deal to be had? They have a lad who could solve our left back problems, Max Clark. He was someone we tried to get when he ran down his contract at Hull. Not sure how likely it would be, as Clark was one of the best left backs in Holland last season Got to be worth an ask though?

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I seem to recall, Dutch club Vitesse Arnhem were looking at him, before he went to Germany If there’s still interest, maybe there’s a swap deal to be had? They have a lad who could solve our left back problems, Max Clark. He was someone we tried to get when he ran down his contract at Hull. Not sure how likely it would be, as Clark was one of the best left backs in Holland last season Got to be worth an ask though?

If it’s true that Vitesse Arnhem are interested in signing him, the Dutch league must seriously be s**t.

4 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

If it’s true that Vitesse Arnhem are interested in signing him, the Dutch league must seriously be s**t.

Were interested, or rumoured to be, I don’t know whether they still are. Maybe back then, his decent reputation in Holland was still intact, I don’t know