Van Aken will be allowed to leave

1 hour ago, modboy said:

Many sources suggesting he's one of our highest earners 

Which sources?

We sent him on loan to an average German 2nd division side last season. I doubt they were paying a big wage and I doubt we allowed him to go out while continuing to pay a big chunk of his wage, given how reluctant we have been to allowing loans at all.

1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Which sources?

We sent him on loan to an average German 2nd division side last season. I doubt they were paying a big wage and I doubt we allowed him to go out while continuing to pay a big chunk of his wage, given how reluctant we have been to allowing loans at all.

https://footballleaguefc.com/sheffield-wednesday-2019-20-player-wages/ 

https://www.fmscout.com/player/37044185/joost-van-aken.html

Obviously none of us have seen his payslip buy FM is well known for being pretty accurate.

9 hours ago, shandypants said:

He looked good for the first few games and then went backwards. 

I think part of the problem was he was dreadful against United. That is one game you don't want to be dreadful in. If it was any other game he would have been roasted for a bad game but maybe could have turned it round. After the derby he got dogs abuse and maybe he wasn't used to that level of criticism. It may have destroyed his confidence completely.

There was no way back for Carlos after that game. His star was fading anyway but that game sealed his fate. He hadn't a clue how important that match was to the fans, to him it was 3 points dropped nothing more. How wrong can you be.

If Van Aken stays he can win the fans around if he plays well, other players have recovered from a bad start but he is pretty much in the last chance saloon with a lot of fans.

21 minutes ago, cowl said:

There's just no-way whatsoever that he's on - or anything approaching - 20k a week. Absolutely none.

A 23 year old Dutch centre back who is highly rated and ends up going for £4m (or thereabouts) can definitely command £20k. 

Stevie May was apparently on £15k, and cost less than JVA. Tom Lees, as someone else mentioned, is on anywhere between £25k to £27.5k, depending which stats site you check. He got the improved deal just before the FF scandal at Norwich. Imo Lees hasnt been the same player since then. 

But regarding JVA, if you're his agent and you're comparing him to Tom Lees and other players on big deals at the time (David Jones and George Boyd were supposedly on £30k+), you would be asking for £20k for a young, highly rated centre back who is worth paying several million for. Especially after the buying club has looked at over 200 centre backs and decided on you... 😉

Edited by Owlsbornanbred
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Owlsbornanbred said:

A 23 year old Dutch centre back who is highly rated and ends up going for £4m (or thereabouts) can definitely command £20k. 

Stevie May was apparently on £15k, and cost less than JVA. Tom Lees, as someone else mentioned, is on anywhere between £25k to £27.5k, depending which stats site you check. He got the improved deal just before the FF scandal at Norwich. Imo Lees hasnt been the same player since then. 

But regarding JVA, if you're his agent and you're comparing him to Tom Lees and other players on big deals at the time (David Jones and George Boyd were supposedly on £30k+), you would be asking for £20k for a young, highly rated centre back who is worth paying several million for. Especially after the buying club has looked at over 200 centre backs and decided on you... 😉

There's no way we actually paid 4 million for him, nor would May have been on 15k, and I also think it's highly unlikely Lees is on those figures.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cowl said:

There's no way we actually paid 4 million for him, nor would May have been on 15k, and I also think it's highly unlikely Lees is on those figures.

I can’t imagine may been on 15k a week but it was widely reported that lees 5 year deal was at 25k a week.

I thought he looked ok vs Sunderland in the league cup before his injury and again at Leicester it suited him more being out on the left so if there was a rick it’s recoverable. Having someone comfy on the ball there helps so I guess that will be the thinking. 

No point moving him on/paying up/subsiding him to bring in say Venancio or Lindsay if they are going to be a reserve as that will cost more. 

1 hour ago, prowl said:

I think part of the problem was he was dreadful against United. That is one game you don't want to be dreadful in. If it was any other game he would have been roasted for a bad game but maybe could have turned it round. After the derby he got dogs abuse and maybe he wasn't used to that level of criticism. It may have destroyed his confidence completely.

There was no way back for Carlos after that game. His star was fading anyway but that game sealed his fate. He hadn't a clue how important that match was to the fans, to him it was 3 points dropped nothing more. How wrong can you be.

If Van Aken stays he can win the fans around if he plays well, other players have recovered from a bad start but he is pretty much in the last chance saloon with a lot of fans.

How do you know that?

He'll become one of the more solid defenders in the league.

Has the attributes but was rushed first time.

If he makes a mistake due to being more of a ball playing defender that's ok, Lees makes those same errors with nothing even in return for them.

1 hour ago, Owlsbornanbred said:

Only 4m if certain things was met like appearances & promotion and er.. there is no danger of that at moment. 

1 hour ago, Owlsbornanbred said:

You really think that if we could afford a £4m transfer fee and a salary of another £1m per year that van Aken was the first man we could attract? Not a chance in hell. Given that we had only two senior central defenders (and one of those would miss the start of the new season) it seems to me that the lengthy delay in bringing him and Venancio in on loan was precisely the opposite reason - funds were being spared after the previous reckless couple of years.