Van Aken will be allowed to leave

5 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Is this a new ploy by the club to tell defenders they are no longer required then decided otherwise?  Some sort of psychology been played out with them? 

Or a symptom of the changing circumstances that Monk was alluding to. Perhaps he’s been told he can bring in any additional players Don’t really have a problem, he can compete with Borner, it’s one less thing we have to do

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jim said:

I just think it’s a sad state of affairs that for a fourth season we’re going with two Dutch players who are obviously not cut out for the championship. It’s decisions like this which make me question **** as a manager?

what if DC has said there is no budget left for a defender? 

We’ve signed 1, we’ve got 3 on the books and if we can’t get rid and buy another then we’re stuck aren’t we?

For what it’s worth - I think there is a good player there, but we need to play a little deeper as he lacks pace and so does Lees. Look at Maguire at Leicester - they played deep and transitioned the ball fast up top which allowed Maguire to not get stung by defenders in behind, he now plays at Man U who play a high line and is getting turned a lot on the pace because it doesn’t play to his strengths.

• Haha 1

I always read the original news as "if you want someone in, you have to shove someone out". Monk has shown that he will give players a chance to impress enough to warrant a place in the squad even if his first thought may have been that they are of no use.

I will much rather have our players available instead of them staying at home, collecting wages week in, week out. We have had too many of those already.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TodwickOwl said:

what if DC has said there is no budget left for a defender? 

We’ve signed 1, we’ve got 3 on the books and if we can’t get rid and buy another then we’re stuck aren’t we?

For what it’s worth - I think there is a good player there, but we need to play a little deeper as he lacks pace and so does Lees. Look at Maguire at Leicester - they played deep and transitioned the ball fast up top which allowed Maguire to not get stung by defenders in behind, he now plays at Man U who play a high line and is getting turned a lot on the pace because it doesn’t play to his strengths.

By accounts from Man Utd fans I was under the impression Maguire had had a pretty good season, they seemed quite happy with him.

25 minutes ago, Jim said:

I just think it’s a sad state of affairs that for a fourth season we’re going with two Dutch players who are obviously not cut out for the championship. It’s decisions like this which make me question **** as a manager?

The thing is we have him here. We have a limited budget and we need bodies. It's a matter of prioritising where we need to bring new players. It may be more cost effective to keep VA as a squad player. 

2 minutes ago, fingyfop said:

By accounts from Man Utd fans I was under the impression Maguire had had a pretty good season, they seemed quite happy with him.

I think he has - but he’s got turned quite easily and will do by faster players - can nullify that by playing a little deeper but can’t see Man U wanting to play that way...!

1 hour ago, Jim said:

Pretty sure monk didn’t sign either of our Dutch players.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jim said:

Your pretty blinkered on matters what happens if the budget doesn't stretch to another center back but if you want to foolishly want to beat monk with 

• Like 1