Van Aken will be allowed to leave

6 hours ago, wilyfox said:

Shock horror. He’s shít, who knew?! Everybody bar the numpty that signed him. 

He put some decent performance's in when first joined us, a lot of us were quite impressed, people changed there minds when he got turned inside out by Duffy for pigs 3rd goal against us. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, 0114 said:

No surprise at all. Strange strange signing.

Carlos didn’t rate him

Jos didn’t rate him

Bruce didn’t rate him

and now Monk. 

That isn't quite true, Jos played him in the games he was available for before getting injured again. He was also injured for all of Bruce's tenure.

• Like 1

Guest Therealrealist
6 hours ago, bradowl said:

He put some decent performance's in when first joined us, a lot of us were quite impressed, people changed there minds when he got turned inside out by Duffy for pigs 3rd goal against us. 

He didn’t..he sprayed a few balls about and a few people wer sayin he’s a reyt player..he never looked good at defending

9 hours ago, Therealrealist said:

He didn’t..he sprayed a few balls about and a few people wer sayin he’s a reyt player..he never looked good at defending

He absolutely DID.

Bradowl was spot on with his assessment. 

Because of the circumstances of his fu*k up (with it being against the unwashed) he was never forgiven and never would have been. He wasn't the only one at fault, but it was him who took the rap. 

Similar in many respects to the Fox situation except Fox was possibly a better player, was further into his career & clearly took the attitude of "Fu*k the abuse, I'll show them" which Van Aken never had the chance to do because of his injury. 

Quite possibly not good enough, who knows, but everyone said that about Fox & more.

Meanwhile Lees just sailed along watching all his team mates kop the abuse while he seemed immune to it all, while making equally appalling fu*k ups on a regular basis & to this day still gets excuses made for him that he was like a latter day Beckenbauer when his minder Loovens was looking after him.

Ability goes a long way at S6, but equally important is your face fitting & keeping under the radar.

• Like 2

I can't say I'm convinced as some of you that van Aken's such a poor player, or, in any case, doesn't have the potential to be a decent player, but either way, sometimes it's probably just best all round that players move on and start afresh elsewhere.

• Like 1

Did we really pay upwards of £3 million for him? I presume we will be letting him go on a free as I cannot see anyone paying a fee for him. If there is any fee involved it will be minimal and a fraction of what we paid.

A centre back that can hit a 60 yard pass but can not defend and tackles like a Boy Scout.

Another absolutely shocking piece of business. :duntmatter:

10 minutes ago, Sticky belly said:

Did we really pay upwards of £3 million for him? I presume we will be letting him go on a free as I cannot see anyone paying a fee for him. If there is any fee involved it will be minimal and a fraction of what we paid.

A centre back that can hit a 60 yard pass but can not defend and tackles like a Boy Scout.

Did we ever see what the kid can do?

Seriously.

He committed the ultimate crime of  fuc*ing up against the pigs, lost total confidence, got injured and subsequently was continually crucified 'in absentia'.

It's like an Owlstalk cliche post. 'Start with the transfer figure & pretend it is an off the scale amount',  'Highlight his frailties on the basis of a couple of games'.  'Use it as as stick to beat the club as another "shocking bit of business"'. All in hindsight of course.

It may have turned out that the kid isn't good enough we don't know. What I DO know though, and I would put money on it. That the people slagging V.A. the loudest, are the same people who were slagging Morgan Fox the loudest. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Sticky belly said:

Did we really pay upwards of £3 million for him?

Not a chance. The most persistent speculation was somewhere in the region of half that, but I'm not even convinced about that much. You only have to look at the circumstances in which he arrived. The club knew it would be down to two senior central defenders (and one of those was injured until a few weeks into the next campaign) even before the previous season ended as Semedo's contract was not being renewed and Sasso's loan was coming to an end with him not interested in returning due to the lack of playing time.

Yet nothing much happened for ages. In pre-season we were using Pudil or youngsters there. The season had actually started before Venancio came in on loan and van Aken was signed. It seems to me that the club (much too late) had realised it's financial 'strategy' had failed and tried to get players in who, above all, were cheap.

Guest Therealrealist
14 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

Did we ever see what the kid can do?

Seriously.

He committed the ultimate crime of  fuc*ing up against the pigs, lost total confidence, got injured and subsequently was continually crucified 'in absentia'.

It's like an Owlstalk cliche post. 'Start with the transfer figure & pretend it is an off the scale amount',  'Highlight his frailties on the basis of a couple of games'.  'Use it as as stick to beat the club as another "shocking bit of business"'. All in hindsight of course.

It may have turned out that the kid isn't good enough we don't know. What I DO know though, and I would put money on it. That the people slagging V.A. the loudest, are the same people who were slagging Morgan Fox the loudest. 

He’s crap..most wednesday fans know it and our present coaches know it..just accept it

5 minutes ago, Therealrealist said:

He’s crap..most wednesday fans know it and our present coaches know it..just accept it

If we're playing the game of just repeating your original post i may as well join in.

"Did we ever see what the kid can do?

Seriously.

It may have turned out that the kid isn't good enough we don't know. What I DO know though, and I would put money on it. That the people slagging V.A. the loudest, are the same people who were slagging Morgan Fox the loudest". 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Sticky belly said:

Hopefully the fee included add one for promotion, international caps etc.....so we paid the initial fee only

17 hours ago, bradowl said:

He was awful. Couldn't do the basic defensive duties like staying on the feet and jockeying. Was constantly diving in, getting turned easily  and getting caught out. But people were fooled cos he could ping a decent crossfield ball.

Edited by Emilianenko
Wilyfox is a nobber

I’m all for giving him another chance. He looked half decent away at Sunderland when he came back then got his bad injury and the vast majority of folk were raving about him when he first signed and before the derby disaster which was not solely down to him.

However, he’s just finished a full season at VFL Osnabruck so weeks ago I went on their forum and translated their comments about him as I did with Penney at St Pauli just to see how they’d both done.  Let’s just say that they weren’t great.  Penney’s were but he did score a beauty in a derby win.  I rate him higher anyway though.

The other thing to add is that the article quoted doesn’t just refer to JVA and I personally wouldn’t be surprised or too upset to see Lees go too.

If anyone wants to debate the initial point re. the initial love for him on here and folk talking about Premier League clubs paying 10’s of millions for him I’ll dig out the thread.

For what it's worth, I don't really know what other posters saw in the game vs Leicester that made them say he played terribly. He looked unremarkable but fine to me... wouldn't surprise me if Monk's decided he's a decent enough addition to the matchday 18 if we play 3 at the back... at the very least he's mobile enough and comfortable on the ball. 

Iorfa                Dunkley                Borner

Palmer              Lees                 van Aken

With Palmer just about more of a RB/RWB rather than RCB, it makes sense to keep him if that's really what we're going to be playing.

Why waste our limited spending on the agent fees etc for a new left-footed centre back when we need to spend them on attacking positions?