Message from Garry Monk "I want to reconnect with the fans.."

I don't know what to think, he's inherited a poo situation, but I don't think he's helped himself.

Freezing out Westwood and Hutchinson a massive mistake in my opinion.

Wildsmith and Dawson both promising Keepers, but Westwood still the best and organises the defence.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he's equalled the record number of "clean sheets" twice in his time here.  I don't think it's a coincidence that our post Christmas slump coincided with Hutchinson being frozen out, in my opinion he should have been made captain years ago, and played in central defence.  Jos couldn't handle them both, but Bruce could, what does that tell us?

None of us know what is really going on behind the scenes, and whilst we clearly need a clear out, I'm not sure we're getting it right.  Time will tell, but we need some stability and we can't keep changing Managers every 9 - 12 months.

And if we get rid of Monk, who can we get in?  Hughton has apparentlly turned us down previously, and please dont suggest Cowleys, Pullis, Johnson, Megson, etc.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Owly Mowly said:

Look over history - the managers that have had some success with us have been big characters ...

Charlton

Wilkinson

Atkinson

Carvahal

Bruce would have been the next I think.

We need the someone who can galvanise, lead and get everyone going. But who? 

Howard Wilkinson was a good football manager. 

He certainly was not a big character. If anything he has an introverted personality. That is not necessarily a bad thing , it takes all types. 

Edited by Geedee
  • Like 6

Im willing to give Monk this summer, but he is under huge pressure to get instant results in the next campaign. I would happily see him sacked in October if he doesn't get results from the off. His rebuilt squad should perform and our trust should be repaid, if not we shouldn't wait too long before moving him on. Another half a season like the last and we're down, either to League One or League Two, trial pending. 

He does not have a good managerial record overall, he was given a wealth of talent to choose from and pivotal players have been excluded. He excluded them without any second thought of the consequences on the squad, its morale and how it would perform. We've been god awful since December, and he has shown no signs of getting the best out of any player, although he has brought through some youth players and given them their chance. 

Ultimately, if we are in the Championship next season, we need to be competitive and we should be aiming for the highest possible finish (1st). We should have that winning attitude from the off, the hunger and desire to compete. I don't currently see Monk doing that. He needs to win over everyone very quickly.

He should try winning a few games. 

All the rest is bull. 

He just clutching at straws to try and hold on to his job. 

The results since Xmas have been shocking to say the least. 

Can't think of anything positive he has done for us. 

The team is spineless. Disorganised. Unmotivated. Boring and never looks like winning even when we have been in front (rarely).

We need a much better manager if we ever going to get out of this division. 

With monk I expect more likely to be relegation than promotion. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

If you had a shred of decency Monk, you would resign, not trot out the same old tired platitudes. We see what happens on the pitch, and your awful press conferences and lame excuses don’t change that. Please just pack your stuff and go.

• Like 3

Guest mkowl

If you track his managerial record the trend is reasonable starts and then a poor run of results, not just two on the bounce, but these long runs of bad results. This invariably leads to him being sacked.

But its not just results where I judge, but the manner of the performance, the style of play, the ability to change a game, the relationship with players, the media work.

So he performs poorly across all those parameters. 

I have zero confidence in his ability to transition this club even with a clean slate

5 hours ago, Broomhill Owl said:

I don't know what to think, he's inherited a poo situation, but I don't think he's helped himself.

Freezing out Westwood and Hutchinson a massive mistake in my opinion.

Wildsmith and Dawson both promising Keepers, but Westwood still the best and organises the defence.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he's equalled the record number of "clean sheets" twice in his time here.  I don't think it's a coincidence that our post Christmas slump coincided with Hutchinson being frozen out, in my opinion he should have been made captain years ago, and played in central defence.  Jos couldn't handle them both, but Bruce could, what does that tell us?

None of us know what is really going on behind the scenes, and whilst we clearly need a clear out, I'm not sure we're getting it right.  Time will tell, but we need some stability and we can't keep changing Managers every 9 - 12 months.

And if we get rid of Monk, who can we get in?  Hughton has apparentlly turned us down previously, and please dont suggest Cowleys, Pullis, Johnson, Megson, etc.

Yes that decision to leave out Westwood and Hutchinson for the good of the team, and the decision not to replace them, was anything but. The results since then show what a huge error that was. 
Don’t get me wrong, Monk is the manager, and if he thought the team, which at the time, was sat in third place, would fare even better, without the pair, then that’s his prerogative. He is paid to make those decisions, and would pay the price if he got it wrong.

He did get it wrong, as results fell off a cliff, that was his first mistake. His second mistake was not doing anything about it. By early January it was abundantly clear that a player like Hutchinson was integral to the way we play, and yet the January window passed without him bringing in such a player. 
Don’t give me that he thought Pelupessy could do that job. He is not that type of player, and there’s nothing to suggest he could be converted into such a player. So despite freezing Hutchinson out, and the fact we were short of bodies in midfield generally, he fails to address the situation, bringing in three strikers instead. With Fletcher succumbing to injury, we maybe could justify the signing of Wickham, as a potential like for like replacement. To bring in three though, when we already had four available, and ignore the issues that were causing us to leak goals, was foolhardy in the extreme. 

Edited by gurujuan
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

3-5-2 hasn't worked, and won't work in my opinion with the squad we have.  We seem no better up front, certainly weaker in defence and our middle is getting bullied and harassed on the ball.

That's not to say it couldn't work.  What I don't understand is why we are playing that formation with that squad that is weakened by contracts ending and in a massive state of flux, where there'll be many changes over the summer and so no real lessons or gelling will have been gained by the team.  It just seemed an odd time to implement it, Monk must take it on the chin for that.

I backed him in the poll, but it wasn't easy.  He's done both good and bad elsewhere previously, so there's certainly talent in there somewhere.  We don't know the full circumstances of what he has to work under, but I suspect it's not easy and flexible that other managers get elsewhere, or even previously at Wednesday.

Players must take blame too.  Wildsmith should have stopped that second goal, the final seconds of our shitty season.  Just one obvious example of how underperforming the team has been. What's happened to Reach this season?  Bannan seems off it too.  Lee is suffering but still quality, and Lees seem scared to be on the pitch.  Those four are what I would call 'core' players, not signed by Monk but for whatever reason, are on a downhill slope, and if that's your core then you will struggle.

I'd say this is one of the worst seasons of following Wednesday I've ever known, struggling to think of worse right now.  Even a bad League One season didn't leave me feeling this dumbfounded by my club.

Uto!

With Monk at the helm we won't need a points deduction to go down next season, as he's more than capable of handing relegation on a platter for us without that kind of help.

To be left with his recruits on 3 year contracts if he is allowed to rebuild is unthinkable. 

• Like 4

To be fair Garry, I couldn't care less how connected you are with the fans. Personally it doesnt mean a lot to me. I can't get the team winning.

I'd have much preferred you reconnected with senior Pros who were and always have been critical to this teams success instead of freezing them out at the expense of everyone. 

(Fully expect a fair few 'not this again' from some but to me we've seen two managers go down the same path resulting in the same outcome) 

11 minutes ago, Daz said:

With Monk at the helm we won't need a points deduction to go down next season, as he's more than capable of handing relegation on a platter for us without that kind of help.

To be left with his recruits on 3 year contracts if he is allowed to rebuild is unthinkable. 

This is a concern. A mate of mine supports Boro and he said (when we appointed Monk) that we were in the deep stuff. Spent a fair amount of money at Boro and virtually all of it was wasted on garbage players 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Show some bottle DC.  He’s had a rough hand but he’s played it shockingly.  For a team to be 3rd at Christmas and finish the way we have shows the manager has lost the players.

Don’t wait for a bad run at the start of next season.  Call it quits now and move on.  Utterly Uninspiring.

• Like 2