Championship club Wigan enter administration - automatic 12 point deduction

1 minute ago, asteener1867 said:

I know seems odd....unless they lay it off all over the place, in smaller amounts

They would still know, betting patterns are shared between the big 6.

Even reletively small bets, I tried to get £50 ew on a horse last week, 12/1.

They said nope max bet is £50...ended up having £25 ew, came 2nd as expected....

Wigan are sponsored by a betting company aren't they? I'm guessing the bet has been placed online rather than in a bookies somewhere. Could there be a link there? 

Kieran maguire, I know I know, has been tweeting that shares in the company that bought Wigan went ballistic in terms of buying and selling around the time the sale went through etc. Says someone has made a fortune. I reckon there's more layers to this than the relegation bet. Probably one of those really simple ways to make money assuming you are a genius with figures and know how money works. 

3 minutes ago, latemodelchild said:

Wigan are sponsored by a betting company aren't they? I'm guessing the bet has been placed online rather than in a bookies somewhere. Could there be a link there? 

Kieran maguire, I know I know, has been tweeting that shares in the company that bought Wigan went ballistic in terms of buying and selling around the time the sale went through etc. Says someone has made a fortune. I reckon there's more layers to this than the relegation bet. Probably one of those really simple ways to make money assuming you are a genius with figures and know how money works. 

Yeah, but what's the mechanics of placing a bet with a linked company? is this guy trying to win money off himself? Or is it some elaborate scheme to take a large amount of money out of their own company for use some other way e.g. laundering for the directors' own gains?

15 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

So do we have a situation where a bloke has bought a football club because they're looking like they're going to get relegated which he wants as part of a betting scam, then all of a sudden they turn into the best team in the division and become safe from relegation, as which point he starts panicking so puts them into administration for the -12  lol

Why didnt they just say to Paul Cook ' lose every game and I give you 2 million dollars or you stay up and we give you nothing and kill your fam.'

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

So do we have a situation where a bloke has bought a football club because they're looking like they're going to get relegated which he wants as part of a betting scam, then all of a sudden they turn into the best team in the division and become safe from relegation, as which point he starts panicking so puts them into administration for the -12  lol

Thats the plot of a third rate film lol

31 minutes ago, TaxiMark said:

Why didnt they just say to Paul Cook ' lose every game and I give you 2 million dollars or you stay up and we give you nothing and kill your fam.'

Haha, yeh, why not just cause uproar by sacking him? There is plenty an owner can do to disrupt the team

Wonder if Barnsley etc will be as vociferous about them being punished as they were about our potential points deduction. 

Every sympathy with Wigan, they've been used and should have expected greater protection, including from EFL, but rules are rules and the admin rules very clear.

• Like 1

As scores stand we are 8 points above the bottom 3. Taking into account the 12 point deduction we are 11 points above the bottom 3.

If we were to go down in the last relegation spot after receiving a points deduction and the EFL were to not implement the mandatory points deduction for administration with Wigan, I’d expect the club to take legal action against the EFL. 

It also wouldn’t surprise me if other clubs who have been handed points deductions due to administration also took legal action against the EFL.

Not implementing the mandatory deduction would be too much trouble than its worth.

Edited by TrickyTrev
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ChinaOwl said:

Yeah, but what's the mechanics of placing a bet with a linked company? is this guy trying to win money off himself? Or is it some elaborate scheme to take a large amount of money out of their own company for use some other way e.g. laundering for the directors' own gains?

No idea, the world of big money is alien to me, hell, the world of small money is. Who knows what schemes are dreamt up by those who think they can't be touched. 

I hope that whatever comes out of this just shows the EFL (and EPL too for that matter) up as being totally incompetent and not fit for purpose so that the entire game gets revamped.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I backed Millwall to get relegated and I did consider doing this around Christmas but they kept bloody winning so I'll consider another scam next season. 🙄

Guest Mcguigan
15 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

As scores stand we are 8 points above the bottom 3. Taking into account the 12 point deduction we are 11 points above the bottom 3.

If we were to go down in the last relegation spot after receiving a points deduction and the EFL were to not implement the mandatory points deduction for administration with Wigan, I’d expect the club to take legal action against the EFL. 

It also wouldn’t surprise me if other clubs who have been handed points deductions due to administration also took legal action against the EFL.

Not implementing the mandatory deduction would be too much trouble than its worth.

Legal action against the EFL, how would that work? It's a members club.

If we took legal action against them, the EFL would hold a members meeting to propose withholding our golden share for next season, the members more than likely would vote in favour, then where are we left?

Suing a body that holds the cards to us either starting the season in their competition or down in non league. 

49 minutes ago, Mcguigan said:

If we took legal action against them, the EFL would hold a members meeting to propose withholding our golden share for next season, the members more than likely would vote in favour, then where are we left?

Suing a body that holds the cards to us either starting the season in their competition or down in non league. 

It’d work in very much the same way the legal action threatened by Barnsley and Middlesboro if our hearing wasn’t  heard before the end of the season would’ve worked.

Guest Mcguigan
Just now, TrickyTrev said:

It’d work in very much the same way the legal action threatened by Barnsley and Middlesboro if our hearing wasn’t  heard before the end of the season would’ve worked.

Which is?

What have they threatened?

Not being pedantic just wondering what would be their case.

1 hour ago, Mcguigan said:

Which is?

What have they threatened?

Not being pedantic just wondering what would be their case.

Both Boro and Barnsley have said they will sue the EFL if any potential punishment is not handed out this season.

I’m not sure how it works but it seems to have been enough for the EFL to bring forward our hearing.

2 hours ago, Mcguigan said:

Think a threat of withholding money we are due to or relegating us if we take legal action against the EFL would be breaking the EFL rules and therefore in itself lead to more legal action, might be classed as blackmail as well