Championship club Wigan enter administration - automatic 12 point deduction

1 hour ago, Essix Blue said:

However, if the EFL don’t sanction Wigan, another club will go down instead - a club that might be run well and financially ok. Would that be fair?

Think Wigan have been run properly. And on field if they get enough points they should stop up. Think this is a unique case on this occasion. If the EFL did enforce the rules would have thought it would hasten their demise. The league really need a total overhaul and start acting professionally, the voting is a joke and all about self interest at a particular point in time. Would scrap it and start over with defined rules. Championship should have one organisation leagues 2 and 2 another. The gulf between leagues is just too great to have rules that suit Leeds to Barrow, like comparing BP to a handyman.

1 minute ago, S36 OWL said:

Staggering. Yet the EFL are more interested in punishing owners who DO have plenty of money and want to invest in their clubs. 

The EFL make me sick 

That's because before those rules came in, clubs were going bankrupt, bust and out of business repeatedly because owners would spaff millions, put the club into massive debts, and run off leaving the club to go under

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, TaxiMark said:

Knew that was coming.

Do you have an opinion on the state of football in England or more intrested in posters? ( again )

Definitely not sick about football nobody makes me post on forum about football

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

Definitely not sick about football nobody makes me post on forum about football

You can be "sick" of football and still put forward an opinion on a football forum. 

Anyway...this whole situation stinks. 

The EFL have got to do something about this or god knows what the potential implications are going forward. 

They can't just sit there and ignore it like they almost seemed to do with the whole Bury fiasco. 

• Like 4

Oh dear. This has got the potential to be very, very damaging for the sport.

We’ve all known for a while now that the sport has been lost to the average, genuine fan and in a way I hope the whole lot comes crashing down. I’m sick to the stomach of being patronised by the game in general. We fans invest our emotions and lives to support our clubs but it seems clearer now more than ever that the money agenda was deeper than anyone could have imagined.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Therealrealist said:

What actually happened i cba to read all that..anybody explain in a few words

The Wigan owner only owned the club for a month or so then put it in administration. Now there are strong rumours he bet on them being relegated. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

That's because before those rules came in, clubs were going bankrupt, bust and out of business repeatedly because owners would spaff millions, put the club into massive debts, and run off leaving the club to go under

How many times has that situation occurred though in all honesty? I can’t think of many clubs that went bust in the 10 years before FFP was brought in.

I do agree that there should be a form of safeguarding against clubs but, the Wigan debacle proves that the EFL don’t have a clue with regards to what the safeguarding looks like. FFP isn’t the answer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

The Wigan owner only owned the club for a month or so then put it in administration. Now there are strong rumours he bet on them being relegated. 

On this issue, I am confused as to who the bet(s) was (were) supposed to have been placed with. I can't imagine that there are betting companies in Asia Pacific offering odds on a mid table Championship club being relegated. European betting companies might but then it should be possible to detect any suspicious activity. The only thing that comes to my mind is the guy placed the bet with his own betting company to withdraw a large sum in terms of winnings that was then laundered.

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

How does FFP prevent this situation occurring again though? We’ve already had Bury, now there’s Wigan. Nothing about FFP prevents owners leaving clubs in the lurch.

I think we’re on the same page, something has to be done to prevent clubs falling foul of horrendous owners. As far as I’m aware, owners can still drop crippling debts on their club, look at the apparent loan Wigan have been left with. 

There has to be something which essentially prevents owners securing loans against the club. Owners should have to bank roll clubs from their own finances and, not through loans at crippling rates.

8 minutes ago, 0wl18 said:

How many times has that situation occurred though in all honesty? I can’t think of many clubs that went bust in the 10 years before FFP was brought in.

I do agree that there should be a form of safeguarding against clubs but, the Wigan debacle proves that the EFL don’t have a clue with regards to what the safeguarding looks like. FFP isn’t the answer.

34 clubs entered administration or negotiated a CVA in the 10 years you refer to, 26 of them football league clubs, the rest Conference clubs.

In the nine years since the rules were introduced, eight clubs have entered administration or negotiated a CVA.

6 minutes ago, Morepork said:

Once again. The government must intervene and disband/dissolve the EFL and replace it with an organisation that is fit for purpose. 

Doesn't every club have a share of the EFL and if so they are the ones with the power to change things

• Like 1