Championship club Wigan enter administration - automatic 12 point deduction

This could be the dodgiest episode ever uncovered in football. There seems to be a lot coming out already, even before the administrators have had their say. They are looking to secure the club to be able to finish the season, get nda letters out to buyers in the next couple of weeks then will turn their attention to seeing what criminal investigation will happen according to BBC(?)

We all know that no one even if it is dodgy will ever be held to account for this. I assume the owners are all based overseas and no way do people with this amount of money in certain countries ever go to court less jail.

Not sure what the EFL could have done as the sale of companies is under different laws etc and the world is full of shady businesses.

The fit an proper persons test is not worth anything, always easy to find a clean employee or associate who is named on the documents etc.

If true though it is an absolute disgrace and the fans and the club have been well and truly done over. Part of me thinks that if it was a dodgy sale then EFL should not give them a deduction as hardly the club or fans fault.

Guest mkowl
3 minutes ago, Harrysgame said:

We all know that no one even if it is dodgy will ever be held to account for this. I assume the owners are all based overseas and no way do people with this amount of money in certain countries ever go to court less jail.

Not sure what the EFL could have done as the sale of companies is under different laws etc and the world is full of shady businesses.

The fit an proper persons test is not worth anything, always easy to find a clean employee or associate who is named on the documents etc.

If true though it is an absolute disgrace and the fans and the club have been well and truly done over. Part of me thinks that if it was a dodgy sale then EFL should not give them a deduction as hardly the club or fans fault.

I think I have to agree on the points front. This is very different to Bury or Bolton where this mismanagement was deliberate and sustained. 

There is an empathy for the EFL because there would have been "proof of funds". Not sure many of you will have followed the Wirecard story - but that proves a fraud is not that difficult on that front

Guest mkowl

Can't argue with him on that. 

The fact is Parry at the EFL is aware of the conjecture surrounding this. He has repeated it 

I think brushing this away is the wrong approach. Tbh I think it might - my gut feeling is if you tap away you would find a lot more murky transactions and arrangements 

1 minute ago, mkowl said:

Can't argue with him on that. 

The fact is Parry at the EFL is aware of the conjecture surrounding this. He has repeated it 

I think brushing this away is the wrong approach. Tbh I think it might - my gut feeling is if you tap away you would find a lot more murky transactions and arrangements 

However, if the EFL don’t sanction Wigan, another club will go down instead - a club that might be run well and financially ok. Would that be fair?

• Like 1

Guest mkowl
9 minutes ago, Essix Blue said:

However, if the EFL don’t sanction Wigan, another club will go down instead - a club that might be run well and financially ok. Would that be fair?

I am sure many will object. The fundamental difference is the timescale here 4 weeks. You can't help thinking that Wigan have literally been a pawn in a game here. 

So no it's not fair on the other clubs but if you ring fence Wigan from the shrouding mystery of its ownership then it doesn't seem fair on them either. 

For someone like me that as long argued that football needs radical change this is just further evidence. 

Guest mkowl
12 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

WHAT

TOTAL

CLUSTERFOOOOOOOKKKKKK

This sport is already ruined. There's no coming back from this now. It's been corrupted and I can't see how it's going to get out of this now lawyers are involved

Perhaps it is needed although there will be casualties along the way, ourselves potentially included. 

The fact is fans are blind to it IF it means their club ends up with an advantage on the pitch. 

1 minute ago, mkowl said:

Perhaps it is needed although there will be casualties along the way, ourselves potentially included. 

The fact is fans are blind to it IF it means their club ends up with an advantage on the pitch. 

A clean up is definitely needed but the second you  touch one club either way now a group of other clubs are ready to take legal action 

Owlstalk Shop

Guest mkowl
4 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Football needs a financial reboot,  dunno how they can do it, but when there is so much money splashing about then, the sharks and bottom feeders are inevitably going to turn up.

I think unfortunately there are enough people making decent money within the regulators and indeed media - hasten to add all legitimately as salary etc - but not wanting to put that at risk by tunneling too deeply. 

Wigan have gone from having a really good owner and fan in Dave Whelan to some horrible set of twàts that are frauds - where did it all go wrong for them ? Is Whelan still alive ? 

FA cup winners a few years ago too.

I'm sick of football, I honestly cannot be bothered with it anymore.

• Like 1

Just now, TaxiMark said:

Wigan have gone from having a really good owner and fan in Dave Whelan to some horrible set of twàts that are frauds - where did it all go wrong for them ? Is Whelan still alive ? 

FA cup winners a few years ago too.

I'm sick of football, I honestly cannot be bothered with it anymore.

Then why post on a football forum

Money and greed has destroyed football. It is infested with parasite agents, dodgy owners and governing bodies that are dictated to by the clubs and Sky.  I just feel the Wigan case is just the tip of the iceberg. 

• Like 5

What this exposes is the impossibility of applying silly half thought out local rules and regulations in a global market.

EFL and Wigan have been done over by these capitalist opportunists working out a way to expose the EFL 'rules' and make money out of it on the gambling exchanges. It probably isn't even illegal - just immoral. 

To make the P&S rules stick, the EFL would have had to have been the smartest people in the world. They weren't even the smartest people in the room.

The P&S rules have already been exposed as inadequate and illogical well before today but the football boys club hasn't yet gone to court and tested the idiocy in real law. 

If Wigan get do points deducted the 'rules' have been exposed as a sham and a fraud and they will be sued in a court of law and lose.

If Wigan don't get points deducted the 'rules' have to be binned and they will be sued in a court of law and lose.

The EFL are not fit for purpose and will collapse. The way its set up as a puppet of the Premier League it is impossible to function as an independent body. Its time for PL2 and disbanding the EFL and the FA taking over for a while to get the shittee stuff sorted.

• Like 2
  • Love 1