Championship club Wigan enter administration - automatic 12 point deduction

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

That's because before those rules came in, clubs were going bankrupt, bust and out of business repeatedly because owners would spaff millions, put the club into massive debts, and run off leaving the club to go under

You are right to diagnose the problem like that yes.

But the rules that came in didn't solve that problem.

They also directly led to further problems.

I'd say that they failed due to not addressing the real underlying problems. Mainly because its out of their control and beyond their capability.

• Like 3

Just now, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

34 clubs entered administration or negotiated a CVA in the 10 years you refer to, 26 of them football league clubs, the rest Conference clubs.

In the nine years since the rules were introduced, eight clubs have entered administration or negotiated a CVA.

How many went insolvent? 

It’s good that the majority of clubs are meeting the FFP guidelines, going into administration doesn’t only affect clubs, it’s the business’ the money is owed to. It’s also evident that by trying to meet FFP clubs have Looked after their finances better.

My point is, FFP doesn’t do anything to prevent clubs entering admin, it isn’t a tool to stop clubs going insolvent. It was introduced as a means to provide a level playing field for all. If I bought a football club, would FFP prevent me from racking up a series of loans at crippling rates? 

6 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

34 clubs entered administration or negotiated a CVA in the 10 years you refer to, 26 of them football league clubs, the rest Conference clubs.

In the nine years since the rules were introduced, eight clubs have entered administration or negotiated a CVA.

Have we always had a points deduction for it?

My feeling based on no knowledge whatsoever is that it is the points deduction that has helped reduce the number rather than FFP

2 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

Doesn't every club have a share of the EFL and if so they are the ones with the power to change things

Lack of power.

They can't stop the reasons why owners chuck money to get in the prem.

Or why opportunists asset strip.

8 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Since 2004–05, apparently.

I think Leicester were one of the first to do it. No points deduction in that instance.

1 hour ago, bladeshater said:

Definitely not sick about football nobody makes me post on forum about football

You need to understand that in the current climate you may from time to time get potential posters ( people ) like me saying that they are sick of football, about how the current system is run etc.etc....but they might still post on a public football forum....jeez did I really have to spell that out like? 

1 minute ago, TaxiMark said:

You need to understand that in the current climate you may from time to time get potential posters ( people ) like me saying that they are sick of football, about how the current system is run etc.etc....but they might still post on a public football forum....jeez did I really have to spell that out like? 

Crack on hope you hope you sort yourself out in the near future

1 hour ago, ChinaOwl said:

On this issue, I am confused as to who the bet(s) was (were) supposed to have been placed with. I can't imagine that there are betting companies in Asia Pacific offering odds on a mid table Championship club being relegated. European betting companies might but then it should be possible to detect any suspicious activity. The only thing that comes to my mind is the guy placed the bet with his own betting company to withdraw a large sum in terms of winnings that was then laundered.

IF the rumour Is true, apparently the bet was placed when they bought the club, but they have won five out of the last six games to climb to mid table, hence putting them into administration so 12 pts are deducted, thus putting them back in the relegation zone. 

37 minutes ago, TaxiMark said:

Yeah cheers,  im taking flying lessons.

I dont want to come across as a glass half filled an all that, but flying taxis only really work in places like Australia,

not Fir vale to Northern General.

1 minute ago, daleblue said:

I dont want to come across as a glass half filled an all that, but flying taxis only really work in places like Australia,

not Fir vale to Northern General.

Did tha know that NGH has a helipad? 

Glass fully brimming!!!

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

IF the rumour Is true, apparently the bet was placed when they bought the club, but they have won five out of the last six games to climb to mid table, hence putting them into administration so 12 pts are deducted, thus putting them back in the relegation zone. 

Yeah I know that. The thing that is confusing me is the mechanics for carrying out the transction(s) (if it is of course true).

Imagine walking into a European betting establishment and trying to get odds on a second tier Asian club getting relegated? Then putting a huge wad on it happening?

Does it not come across that this would appear a little strange to a third party betting company sending up a few red flags?

Someone betting a large amount of money on Wigan Athletic getting relegated from the Championship in England in Asia should come across as so left field that the third party betting company should immediately smell a rat. Unless the betting company is somehow part of the beneficiary from the bet paying dividends.

1 minute ago, ChinaOwl said:

Yeah I know that. The thing that is confusing me is the mechanics for carrying out the transction(s) (if it is of course true).

Imagine walking into a European betting establishment and trying to get odds on a second tier Asian club getting relegated? Then putting a huge wad on it happening?

Does it not come across that this would appear a little strange to a third party betting company sending up a few red flags?

Someone betting a large amount of money on Wigan Athletic getting relegated from the Championship in England in Asia should come across as so left field that the third party betting company should immediately smell a rat. Unless the betting company is somehow part of the beneficiary from the bet paying dividends.

I know seems odd....unless they lay it off all over the place, in smaller amounts

1 minute ago, asteener1867 said:

I know seems odd....unless they lay it off all over the place, in smaller amounts

I just try to get my head around walking into a betting shop in Hong Kong and asking for odds on Wigan Athletic getting relegated. :Chansiri:

• Haha 1

So do we have a situation where a bloke has bought a football club because they're looking like they're going to get relegated which he wants as part of a betting scam, then all of a sudden they turn into the best team in the division and become safe from relegation, as which point he starts panicking so puts them into administration for the -12  lol

• Like 2