Championship club Wigan enter administration - automatic 12 point deduction

1 hour ago, Essix Blue said:

The receivers at Wigan have officially appealed against a points deduction. 

I sense this is gonna get interesting.....

I expect Mr Gibson to make his feelings known quite soon.....

I don’t think Gibson will get involved with this. Wigan have adhered with the EFL’s P&S rules he’s so keen to see implemented.

This is alleged fraud from Wigan’s owners to deliberately relegate the club 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Looks like they are about to sell a player. So many Wigan fans hoping its Windass. They really seem to dislike him. Any ideas why? 

Every chance it could be Windass.

Seen they was looking to move that Gelhardt on too, some big teams after him. Supposedly a real prospect. Don’t be shocked if it’s him either. 

Just now, Sham67 said:

Just checked EFL website and Wigan still have 50 points.  I'd be interested to know how they can appeal against a punishment they've not received.

Apparently it’s not deducted til end of season. If they go down without the deduction then the 12 points come off next season 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, 0114 said:

Every chance it could be Windass.

Seen they was looking to move that Gelhardt on too, some big teams after him. Supposedly a real prospect. Don’t be shocked if it’s him either. 

Nixon mentioning a couple of other players to realise quick cash to get them through to the end of the season. 

Can't imagine us paying much for Windass. 

2 minutes ago, striker said:

Nixon mentioning a couple of other players to realise quick cash to get them through to the end of the season. 

Are we even allowed to sign anyone?

Are we embargoed, safe, down - who knows?

5 minutes ago, striker said:

No neither can I, he’s only got 12 months left on his deal, he’s not wanted and they’re desperate for money. Under £1m surely. 

• Like 1

EFL update. Seems they’re intent on a 12 point deduction 

EFL Insolvency Policy

In all circumstances a sporting sanction applies in respect of an insolvency event (default 12-point penalty). The Regulation seeks to ensure that a Club cannot gain any advantage over other Clubs in the competition by not paying its creditors in full and on time, while also ensuring there is a deterrent in place for Clubs and their owners, from operating in a manner so as to cause insolvency. The EFL acknowledges it is a difficult time for any Club placed into Administration, particularly in the midst of COVID-19, but is mindful that its regulations are to be applied consistently and equally to all member Clubs irrespective of the circumstances.

In the current case of Wigan Athletic, and, in accordance with EFL regulations, due to the Club being placed into administration after the fourth Thursday in March, the sporting sanction will take affect once the final League positions are known. If in the event the Club is relegated by virtue of their final position following the conclusion of the Championship season, then the deduction will apply in League One in 2020/21. However, if the Club is not in the relegation places following the final game of season, the sanction will be then be applied to their season 2019/20 total and final league standings amended as appropriate.

3 hours ago, 0114 said:

No neither can I, he’s only got 12 months left on his deal, he’s not wanted and they’re desperate for money. Under £1m surely. 

Didn't know he only had 12 months left. In that case they're probably desperate to get his wage off the books. I can see an undisclosed (nominal fee) happening. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, striker said:

Didn't know he only had 12 months left. In that case they're probably desperate to get his wage off the books. I can see an undisclosed (nominal fee) happening. 

Na look eer Wigan, you need the cash, we'll take him off your books for a bag a nuts and a wánk mag, pay half his wages and tha's got thi sens a deal 🙃

3 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

Wigan getting a QC in to fight the admin penalty. Maybe they won’t end up with a point deduction after all. Perhaps we won’t be able to rely on them getting a deduction to stop us going down. 😡

The EFL day different. 

Unless there’s something Specific in the rules about a situation like theirs, I can’t see them dodging a 12 point deduction. It’d be like us saying “you can’t deduct us points, it was the owner that got us in this mess”.

• Like 1