It's definitely the wrong time to drop Jordan Rhodes

I know a main job for a striker is to shoot and score but Rhodes has played well with making room and running in ect... He shouldn’t be dropped. Him and Wickham are plying well together. In my eyes a winning team shouldn’t be changed unless fitness or injuries become an issue. 

24 minutes ago, yeadonowl said:

when playing 2 up top it's all about a partnership. you don't break it up after 2 games because 1 of them hasn't scored

if fit, they need to be first names on the team sheet till the end of the season. Monk has got it right so far by giving Da Cruz the last half hour against the tiring defence

Agree completely. It’s about partnerships.

I recall Hooper & Fletcher scoring about 16 in 18. For the first batch of games it was Hooper who bagged almost all the goals, and at the back end it was all Fletcher. Doesn’t matter who scores. What matters are goals and wins. 

28 minutes ago, Derbyshireowl3 said:

Just because he hasn’t scored doesn’t mean he’s not played well 

Think this is a case of people being influenced on a players performance by the result.
If we would have lost 2-1 and Jordan Rhodes had exactly the same game very few people would be saying he played well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, matthefish2002 said:

Think this is a case of people being influenced on a players performance by the result.
If we would have lost 2-1 and Jordan Rhodes had exactly the same game very few people would be saying he played well.

You make a good point.. however we’ve won and drew against two decent teams with him playing. I admit he hasn’t stood out, but he’s getting into good areas, he’s holding the ball and bringing others into the game a lot better. Whilst where picking up good results it’s hard to say players arnt doing a good job 

• Like 1

Difficult this one, whilst we have played better than before the break, out of all the players involved, Rhodes has probably had the least impact of all.  I still wouldn't drop him purely to protect Da Cruz.  

WBA are probably too well-organised for Da Cruz and I can't see it benefiting him if he was well shackled.  So I would pick Rhodes who will be shackled and will again contribute little.  But will be protecting the confidence levels of Da Cruz. 

Having said that another hatrick from Rhodes wouldn't go amiss.

Dont change a winning team ffs,in hardest game we have left.JR playing well with Connor,he does alot of running off the ball for Wickham and creates space for him.Big man with him he plays well just like with Fletch.Let them gel..

Are you listening Monk...I know best along with all of us.. ..

UTO.......

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

How quickly opinions change on here , he couldn’t hit a barn door a bit back now he has to play !!! . I bow to others knowledge who have seen him play since the restart as I haven’t , but that’s some turnaround. 

It actually is

He looks a totally different player to be fair

Like a huge weight has been lifted

Owlstalk Shop

Yes I agree. Stick with Wickham and Rhodes tonight. They have looked a good partnership and like you say we have got 4 points from 6. Hope Monk doesn’t change it but unfortunately I think he will. Personally don’t think Cruz has what it takes. 

Edited by WalthamOwl

3 hours ago, Suzuki_San said:

He's been unlucky in both games, hitting the post, working the keeper...could have easily had 2 as well as Wickham.  Would love him to score tonight.

Also, with Wickham getting 2, they will mark him hard later, possibly leaving Rhodes a bit of space...

When did he hit post?  People seem to think it was Rhodes who headed against post that then lead to that unbelievable block from Lee's shot. When it was actually Wickham. But I do agree he has looked a threat 

3 hours ago, kernowl said:

I’ve noticed (like Trevor Francis before him) that he very cleverly ‘wins’ a lot of free kicks by appearing to be pushed over by opposition players.

It’s a significant part of Harry Kane’s game and it works for him

43 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Yes I agree. Stick with Wickham and Rhodes tonight. They have looked a good partnership and like you say we have got 4 points from 6. Hope Monk doesn’t change it but unfortunately I think he will. Personally don’t think Cruz has what it takes. 

I think da Cruz has started to come good. It's taken a while but that is to be expected for a kid moving country and playing style. I'd say he would be an asset if we can get him on the right terms.

I think the key area of improvement has been commitment, whereas before, that waned after a short period in each game and he became ( Forest aside ) ineffective.

He is, however, signed as a striker, and he has to start knocking these chances in. We can't keep judging him  on his effort, because he's paid to score goals.
When he played before and showed no effort, it was lauded that he wasn't there for effort, but to sniff the goals...  So which is it ?

I thought he looked a different player pre-season and really thought he might get another run under Monk. He certainly looks to have kicked on again and has given players on the ball an option, or opened play up for others in the last few games, as well as working the oppositions defenders hard, he has also made good runs and helped out in defence with several good headers and clearances. I think he is a good professional team player all round, but it would be a lot more pleasing to see him hit the back of the net a few more times.

Having said all that if da Cruz is looking likely in training and he can keep delivering corners like he has been doing from all those Harries runs down the wing, we could be in for some fun. He did well to get a powerful shot in late on in the last game and could easily have won a penalty late on against Forest. Perhaps Monk thinks he deserves longer on the pitch, especially if we are seriously considering signing him, as reported elsewhere. Rhodes coming off the bench when defenders are tired might even benefit him and us? 

It's a tough one to call, but it must be hard to break up a partnership that is just starting out when we are picking up points and putting lots of pressuring on opposing defences. Having said all that, if it's da Cruz's birthday, definitely get him in. That's at least one goal guaranteed.😜

Guest Grez Bez

Wickham and Rhodes works well.

I'm not sure what Da Criuz best position is. I like him coming on for the last 20 to run at tired defender's