THE EFL HEARING THREAD

9 minutes ago, Manwë said:

The video is genuine, but I still don't understand why people believe the EFL should have the powers of Mystic Meg and be able to foresee bets placed in the Philippines affecting the administration of a football club in England.   

I think people are moaning about it because the guy who used to own them sold his shares to some guy without a pot to ******** in by looks of it then bet on them to go down knowing there was a fair chance they was going to drop into administration,  and the EFL let the club be sold to this fella without checking him out properly 

Or summat along this lines lol

3 minutes ago, billyblack said:

I cant see any hatred or abuse? 

That's because there is none

This is just the monthly thing we have to go through with uberfans coming on trying to suggest there is

Next up it'll be 'owlstalk clique', 'you lot on here', 'the usual suspects' etc etc etc etc

Been happening for years

This is just the latest one of those

Owlstalk Shop

14 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

They have a "Fit and proper" persons system though.....Thats proven to be worse than useless

Fit and Proper is basically:

a) Do you have an unspent criminal conviction? or

b) Have you been barred from being a director? or

c) Are the TV Licencing People or Omega Loans chasing you?

If the person answers 'no' and background checks are carried out (quite easily to confirm the answers), then they are deemed to be fit and proper.    How can the EFL have known about a alleged bet in the Philippines relating to the relegation of a club being taken over?   

Edited by Manwë
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

This is just the monthly thing we have to go through with uberfans coming on trying to suggest there is

Next up it'll be 'owlstalk clique', 'you lot on here', 'the usual suspects' etc etc etc etc

Been happening for years

I have never seen any either, but, are we therefore saying that when DC says he and his family have been abused, that he’s lying?

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Been happening for years

If i have missed it then fair enough, i know some fans are upset and unhappy, i'm one of them. I havent seen any abuse though. 

Perhaps voicing discontent is abuse, nothing wrong with being unhappy IMO, Its not abuse though in my view.

Just now, Ever the pessimist said:

I have never seen any either, but, are we therefore saying that when DC says he and his family have been abused, that he’s lying?

No idea - I wasn't there

It wasn't on here though and maybe could possibly have been a culture shift from him moving from a place where nobody questioned anyone publically to a very public persona where people were criticising him

I literally don't know

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Hey no, if its happened elsewhere then thats wrong, im just saying i havent seen it on here.

19 minutes ago, TaxiMark said:

Actually Incorrect ...people at the time including me was getting really worried when we were signing 20 strikers and needed defenders and midfielders.

There were worrying signs from the start.

Fans get the blame again for a chairman who has final say ....its laughable .

there were 'warnings signs from the start, but i'm sure it wasn't signing 20 strikers.

the 'warning signs' were himself with nil experience in matters.

at the time i wasn't sure about a committee, then i was less sure about those on it apart from roeder who had some english experience. 

gray's departure, followed by us bringing in a man with an appalling track record.

our play which it seemed needed the same sort of overplay that arsenal engaged in in the division above, and the fact that it was becoming widely known, if not WAS widely known how to dismantle arsenal with 2 solid banks of 4.

at the end of the first season, glaring needs were ignored, and damn near the same in the second, with only fletcher's addition offering any appreciation of us needing alternatives in our build up play in either window.

the side had started to struggle in attack, and stuart gray's 'brick wall' defence was starting to leak.

then without ever really tackling the problems in the squad, we dive in for rhodes, i didn't hear all hell break loose at the time of his signing, and the rest is history, including jos...

until a proper manager stepped in, and things improved, but then...........

4 minutes ago, Manwë said:

If the person answers 'no' and background checks are carried out (quite easily to confirm the answers), then they are deemed to be fit and proper.    How can the EFL have known about a alleged bet in the Philippines relating to the relegation of a club being taken over?   

Simply because the "Fit and proper persons" isn't fit for purpose....I presume thats someone elses fault then

12 minutes ago, westy365owl said:

I think people are moaning about it because the guy who used to own them sold his shares to some guy without a pot to ******** in by looks of it then bet on them to go down knowing there was a fair chance they was going to drop into administration,  and the EFL let the club be sold to this fella without checking him out properly 

Or summat along this lines lol

There are two things they look in to. One, does the person or people involved have any unspent criminal convictions, and two, proof of funds. The fact that the ownership changed means that they passed these tests.

However, while test one is an easy one to check, test two can easily be masked. A large, short-term loan is all that would be needed to get around that and pass that particular test, so what the EFL should be doing is saying, "Okay, you've got the funds on paper, now let's see your cash in escrow and enough to cover the ongoing concerns of the club for the next 6 months". The EFL should also stop clubs being bought outside of the U.K., as with Wigan (the business deal was completed in Hong Kong), becasue they now have no jurisdiction of the sale of the business to its new owners. 

Edited by ChapSmurf

Guest Therealrealist
31 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

What I don't get is walking into some bookie shop in downtown Manila and lumping a few trillion peso on Wigan to get relegated.

I would have been interested to see the bookie clerk's face.

lol

This is what i dont understand about cricket match fixing..somebody rings a bookie in the fsr east to but 500 grand on the 3rd ball of the 14th over being a no ball..and nobody raises an eyebrow🙈

Guest mkowl
6 minutes ago, Manwë said:

Yep that is a point what does "fit and proper" mean in a practical sense. I have to do this to a fashion every time I take on a new client. So I do basic checks etc but in reality its then a continual assessment based on how it works out or new information comes to light. 

There is a limit to what you can do if said person ticks the right boxes. And usually they know how to achieve that