Best away fans at Hillsboro

Ones who stand out for me where, Sunderland there promotion season, singing keano,to hey Jude second half,never stopped.Allways think they are a lot like us,not had much to celebrate last don't now how many years,but still turn out in numbers and love a good slurp

Probably haven’t played at Hillsborough for a while, but Portsmouth always seem to travel in good numbers, especially given their geographical location and distances involved. They have a famous fan - Pompey Jack - instantly recognisable, met him at AFC Wimbledon recently. A real character - bit like Tango, but much more likeable.

The only ones who I have seen officially bring 14,000 for a match against Wednesday apart from that lot on boxing Day 1979, was Coventry City in the 6th Round cup tie 1987, when they turned us over 3-1 and went on to win the Final, others of note were Newcastle 1980/81 first game where I would guess in an attendance given as 26,164 around 8,000 of them turned up, they brought more in 1983/84 in a crowd of 41,134 at least 10,000 came, it was reported around 8,000 Norwich fans turned up for the last game of the 1981/82 season, but the official attendance given was only 24,687 so I'm not so sure it was quite that many, and finally Leeds in 1982/83 out of a crowd of 29,050 a guesstimate of between 8,000 and 10,000. Only the Coventry City and Boxing Day matches mentioned were 'All Ticket' games, the rest being pay on day back then so the numbers are approximate of course. Anybody remember the 49,357 attendance for the Liverpool cup game in 1983/84 ? Well I would guess around only 2,000 to 3,000 scousers on the Leppings lane End that night, although the crowd obviously was boosted by a few neutrals, Wednesday always traditionally could pull a decent crowd in Hillsborough for big games.

27 minutes ago, OwlsMan1961 said:

The only ones who I have seen officially bring 14,000 for a match against Wednesday apart from that lot on boxing Day 1979, was Coventry City in the 6th Round cup tie 1987, when they turned us over 3-1 and went on to win the Final, others of note were Newcastle 1980/81 first game where I would guess in an attendance given as 26,164 around 8,000 of them turned up, they brought more in 1983/84 in a crowd of 41,134 at least 10,000 came, it was reported around 8,000 Norwich fans turned up for the last game of the 1981/82 season, but the official attendance given was only 24,687 so I'm not so sure it was quite that many, and finally Leeds in 1982/83 out of a crowd of 29,050 a guesstimate of between 8,000 and 10,000. Only the Coventry City and Boxing Day matches mentioned were 'All Ticket' games, the rest being pay on day back then so the numbers are approximate of course. Anybody remember the 49,357 attendance for the Liverpool cup game in 1983/84 ? Well I would guess around only 2,000 to 3,000 scousers on the Leppings lane End that night, although the crowd obviously was boosted by a few neutrals, Wednesday always traditionally could pull a decent crowd in Hillsborough for big games.

I think Man U in 85/86 season sold out the Lep. The attendance was over 48,000 I think.