Best away fans at Hillsboro

On 29/03/2020 at 18:54, SallyCinnamon said:

Hate to say it but Leeds that Friday game where Kirkland got smacked, they made some noise that game.

Horrible rumblezoids but made an atmosphere.

Only when they equalised late on.

Which is basically Leeds allover, turn up in numbers, make a mumble, go mad and sing a bit when they score then get slapped back out of Sheffield. 

On 30/03/2020 at 08:52, Stuartwawaw said:

Don't know if they were the best but the bravest maybe Wrexham at home put them on the cop triangle all 40 of them think they were bottom of the league and won 3-0 I think imagine that happening today 😂😂

It was probably safer than the Leppings Lane End back then, the amount of Wednesday fans who congregated on there waiting for any sort of away following to turnout made Hillsborough quite an intimidating experience, many never turned up or kept very quiet !

On 29/03/2020 at 09:23, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

I was in the Red lion at Catcliffe  ,Usual meeting place before match ,There I am leaning over the pool table about to take a shot ,Wednesday jumper on ,In walked all these Newcastle fans ,What a good set of lads  ,Best fans I have met ,No trouble what so ever with them ,Now Chelsea and Leeds were different horrible trash both sets.

Red Lion and the Plough mate.

I lived in Catcliffe on Frederick st. (doesn't exist anymore) from 75-77 and although i was too young for pubs my Dad was a regular.

We lived there 'cos he worked at Orgreave and my Mum worked at Handsworth Asda, the old one.

• Like 1

On 29/03/2020 at 08:24, nuneatonowl1 said:

One that gets overlooked is when we played Southampton at home in the Quarter Final of the f a cup in March 94. An early (1pm?) Sunday kick off and they had circa or spot in 13,000 in the Lepps out of a 40,030 attendance https://www.11v11.com/matches/sheffield-wednesday-v-southampton-11-march-1984-215295/

83-84 more like and I'm sure there were 43 thousand  and that was for a game live on telly on a Sunday

We couldn't half attract big numbers back then. 

8 hours ago, Pulsar said:

83-84 more like and I'm sure there were 43 thousand  and that was for a game live on telly on a Sunday

We couldn't half attract big numbers back then. 

Did Sterland get sent off that game?

Leeds, Sunderland, Newcastle, Man U, Man City, Chelsea, Villa, Rangers in terms of noise and numbers. To be expected really considering the size of the clubs.

Plymouth and Grimsby always stand out for me, especially that following and support from Plymouth for the night match.

There's a few other clubs that make noise but I can't stand their sh!t songs from the continent with no words - Watford, Palace etc.

This season Cardiff impressed me. Always helps when we let teams go 2-0 up against us though :unsure:

Edited by Bassett's Allsorts

On 29/03/2020 at 08:24, nuneatonowl1 said:

One that gets overlooked is when we played Southampton at home in the Quarter Final of the f a cup in March 94. An early (1pm?) Sunday kick off and they had circa or spot in 13,000 in the Lepps out of a 40,030 attendance https://www.11v11.com/matches/sheffield-wednesday-v-southampton-11-march-1984-215295/

Not sure about that. I'm pretty sure it was that game where I was in the upper part of the West Stand because it had been opened to home supporters. And thinking about it, I also watched a game from the lower part as well - the FA Cup quarter final against Wimbledon in about 1996.

13 hours ago, Nut said:

Did Sterland get sent off that game?

Don't think that's true either.

Edited by DJMortimer

9 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

Could have been Chapman then? I'm sure someone got sent off in front of the dug outs in that game for tangling with Mark Dennis. Ive tried googling it but can't find anything so may be clutching at straws.

17 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

Not sure about that. I'm pretty sure it was that game where I was in the upper part of the West Stand because it had been opened to home supporters. And thinking about it, I also watched a game from the lower part as well - the FA Cup quarter final against Wimbledon in about 1996.

They did have thousands that day, I'm certain they filled the Lepp Terrace and Stand, they didn't leave the lasting impression that the Geordies did though. 

The thing with Norwich, Southampton and Coventry was they were all one off, huge followings, teams like Newcastle, Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool, Everton, Villa and Leeds did it and still would do it on a regular basis.

Although most big London clubs would now sell out, back in the 80s and 90s the standout ones I remember were Chelsea (one man went to Mow) and West Ham.

I really can't remember Arsenal or Tottenham bringing as many as those 2, or they certainly didn't make as much noise.

The other weird ones imo were the Impressive turnouts by Plymouth and Hull both for Night matches though Hull in particular have never brought anything like similar numbers again or even  before and a great following one year by Bristol City one year when they were on a great winning streak in League 1.

Still Rangers twice, followed by Newcastle are the best for me, although that's because I wasn't around in the 70s when both Man Utd and Villa swamped Hillsborough