Best away fans at Hillsboro

2 minutes ago, sexpistol said:

I think Man U in 85/86 season sold out the Lep. The attendance was over 48,000 I think.

We had some of the Lep that night, Chapman scored the winner, the West Stand was even shared if my memory serves me right, back then Wednesday fans would often get part of the Lep, that's why those 'notorious' segregating pens existed !

7 minutes ago, OwlsMan1961 said:

We had some of the Lep that night, Chapman scored the winner, the West Stand was even shared if my memory serves me right, back then Wednesday fans would often get part of the Lep, that's why those 'notorious' segregating pens existed !

Edit:

I might be mixing two different matches up in that post, the night match was the previous season 1884/85, however, I still don't recall Man Utd filling the Lep due to the fact that it could be segregated and shared, and often was back then until that day in 1989, I do of course stand to be corrected my memory does let me down sometimes nowadays, their fans did fill the kop though in 1974 !

2 hours ago, OwlsMan1961 said:

Edit:

I might be mixing two different matches up in that post, the night match was the previous season 1884/85, however, I still don't recall Man Utd filling the Lep due to the fact that it could be segregated and shared, and often was back then until that day in 1989, I do of course stand to be corrected my memory does let me down sometimes nowadays, their fans did fill the kop though in 1974 !

The 85/86 was on a Saturday. It might have been November time, and Wednesday were the first team to beat Man U that season in the league. I’m sure Man U had all the Lep.

One that gets overlooked is when we played Southampton at home in the Quarter Final of the f a cup in March 94. An early (1pm?) Sunday kick off and they had circa or spot in 13,000 in the Lepps out of a 40,030 attendance https://www.11v11.com/matches/sheffield-wednesday-v-southampton-11-march-1984-215295/

It was such a step up when we won promotion in 79-80 from the third, where two men and a dog was a good away following.

Barnsley brought a load to Hillsboro probably equal too or more than thier average home attendence, the sight of multiple  thousands doing the birdy dance still haunts me.

The  return night game at Oakwell had about 29'000 there and was the scariest crush I have ever been in.

Think we lost to an Ian Banks thunderbolt from 25 yds

6 minutes ago, nuneatonowl1 said:

One that gets overlooked is when we played Southampton at home in the Quarter Final of the f a cup in March 94. An early (1pm?) Sunday kick off and they had circa or spot in 13,000 in the Lepps out of a 40,030 attendance https://www.11v11.com/matches/sheffield-wednesday-v-southampton-11-march-1984-215295/

492A4CB0-47AB-411F-A474-1F2F779216B0.png

19 hours ago, Mountain Owl said:

West Ham always bring good numbers and are loud.

I remember in mid late 80’s, hey dang throughout the whole of ty second half ‘John Lyalls Claret and Blue army’ continually, sounded pretty epic.

yeah that Sunderland match, Glasgow Rangers, Newcastle generally my top picks.

Edited by goodytheowl

7 hours ago, lanzaroteowl said:

Newcastle. 

First game back in the 2nd for us 1980?

Masses of them everywhere. 

I was in the Red lion at Catcliffe  ,Usual meeting place before match ,There I am leaning over the pool table about to take a shot ,Wednesday jumper on ,In walked all these Newcastle fans ,What a good set of lads  ,Best fans I have met ,No trouble what so ever with them ,Now Chelsea and Leeds were different horrible trash both sets.

12 minutes ago, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

I was in the Red lion at Catcliffe  ,Usual meeting place before match ,There I am leaning over the pool table about to take a shot ,Wednesday jumper on ,In walked all these Newcastle fans ,What a good set of lads  ,Best fans I have met ,No trouble what so ever with them ,Now Chelsea and Leeds were different horrible trash both sets.

Yeah. 95% good bunch the Geordies, always plenty of banter and up for a laugh. Can't disagree with your comments re Chelsea and Leeds either vast majority neanderthals.

Rangers friendly a couple years of years back

Newcastle 1984

Palace about 2010

Sunderland whenever it was I thought early 90's cup game

Manchester United when we were in the top flight.

Honourable mention to Wycombe  2012.

12 hours ago, OwlsMan1961 said:

Edit:

They brought 16000 one year in the 80s can’t remember which but they were everywhere 

Blimey I can't remember the Southampton fans at the cup game even though I was there, Newcastle were always loud so easier to remember, don't recall their fans being as pleasant as some recall though, remember them fighting in Penistone Road after the 1980 match, one giant geordie fighting with a copper on horseback and I remember another one walking down the middle of Penistone Road through the Wednesday fans with a bottle in his hand, then we played them mid 80's and a group of them hammered two Wednesday fans near The Beehive, both of them got laid out one with a lump of his flesh resting on the pavement.