The impatience of our fanbase

22 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

Owlstalk is not a balanced view of wednesdayites I talk to a fair few wednesdayites through the week and believe me this forum is classed as one for the idiots and is often ridiculed

You're in the right place then

• Haha 5

We don’t even moan or whinge in the stadium half the time! Apart from the obligatory half time boo. 

A few hounded out CC; for all the good that did.  Strangely with more passion than I’ve seen with most other managers, considering his win ratio and near success. 

As a fanbase we slept through Yorath, Jewel, Turner, Wilson, without saying a word about the demise that has left us where we are now! 

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, cowl said:

The only thing I'm losing patience about are those trying to implicate the fanbase in some way over the sh*te we're getting served up.

I'm also sick of hearing about managers that somehow can only work with players and coaching staff they've assembled themselves. What a ridiculous indictment on the whole profession. I can't imagine walking into any kind of management position in any industry with it being 'understood' that I can't be judged until I've brought my own people in.

If I was a cynic, I'd probably suspect that dropping Hutchinson was merely an attempt to shift blame and buy some time while creating a narrative of the need to purge the squad of certain problem individuals that he'd prefer to not have to manage.

I know I'd be a lot more impressed with a manager that is able to actually 'manage' the players. Resolving problems such as this ought really to be a normal part of the job.

Exactly, it's called man management, by a manager, imagine that.

29 minutes ago, Rogers said:

We don’t even moan or whinge in the stadium half the time! Apart from the obligatory half time boo. 

A few hounded out CC; for all the good that did.  Strangely with more passion than I’ve seen with most other managers, considering his win ratio and near success. 

As a fanbase we slept through Yorath, Jewel, Turner, Wilson, without saying a word about the demise that has left us where we are now! 

And some of us clapped the players off at FT at Oakwell on Saturday! Even after that shambles of a performance.  

I’m not saying booing is the answer, but deary me, no wonder some the players are comfortable - we just seem to accept mediocrity. 

If Monk stopped doing stupid things I’d be more patient with him.

DC and the fans aren’t making him play Reach centrally and on the right

DC and the fans aren’t making him play Odubajo at LB

DC and the fans aren’t making him play Pelupessy and Bannan in a two

DC and the fans aren’t making him play boring, long ball football

DC and the fans aren’t making him coach the team to do everything so slowly

DC and the fans aren’t making him select Pelupessy over Hutch

DC and the fans don’t keep breaking up the Iorfa / Börner partnership

DC and the fans don’t keep playing one upfront

DC and the fans haven’t been choosing Winnall as the one up front

DC and the fans don’t make the substitutions to leave us with Rhodes and Nuhiu upfront

DC and the fans aren’t the ones incapable of making a substitution before 65 mins 

etc etc

9 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I don’t know if we are that desperate for success we demand it, or we are bitterly jealous of the lot across the city or it’s the clubs fault for charging high prices and creating a level of expectation every season. 

I don’t know, but the amount of abuse directed at the manager in recent days has been ridiculous in my opinion. He might not be the next Chris Wilder or Pep Guardiola, but surely he deserves a bit more than 4 months before we judge him? He’s working with players signed by previous regimes. He’s managed to get a few loans in but they will need time to gel. The squad is tired with some players in the dressing room who have been here way too long and need moving on. He’s working under the cloud of a possible points deduction. He’s missing our best player in Fletcher and a key player who could transform our midfield in Luongo. 

Football has been pretty poor since Boxing Day. But before that we were picking up results and in some games actually played some decent stuff. It’s a process to fix the damage done at Wednesday in recent seasons. Won’t happen overnight, however frustrating that may be.

I’ve said for a couple of years now. We really need the club to come out with a realistic strategy and a bit of transparency as to where we are and the job we’ve got on our hands. Just to heal the discontent amongst the fanbase and get the fans back on side. That can’t come through Monk in a press conference when he’s clearly frustrated by the teams display. It has to come from above, a real sign of leadership. At the moment we are drifting clinging onto this dream of promotion every season. A dream that realistically ended in May 2017. Almost three years ago. 

FFS someone has finally spoken sense!

Patience or impatience is a tough question. As a rather pragmatic and realistic person, I'm looking at things at a distance and don't get too attached to them. My view is that we are still lingering on the fact that we used to be in the top flight and we used to belong there. As others have already stated, the game and the environment has changed so much during the last 20 years or so and we simply have not kept up.

Nowadays, if you want success, you need:

a) a realistic plan (both on and off the field)

b) to play by the rules (if you can't beat them, you must join them)

c) enough money

and

d) football, marketing and business-wise people to execute the plan.

I think we have none of these right now.

Edited by FinnishOwl

I take the OP's point, and whenever we have a bad result or play badly there are always morons on here and social media displaying their inadequacies.

The spiral we have been in since Christmas is, however, the kind of thing that seldom corrects itself. The Atkinson team in late 1989 would be the biggest counterexample, but even then (i) there were green shoots in the performances, and actually there was a fair bit of bad luck (ii) you could see what the manager was trying to achieve (iii) the manager had a strong track record in previous jobs.

I'm afraid none of these things are true for us. The (home) performances have been quite as bad as the results; the selections, tactics, and (apparently) man management of Gary Monk do not inspire confidence; Monk's track record does not inspire confidence. (A old university friend of mine now lives in Swansea and has been an STH there with his lads for some while. He is the mildest of men, but virulent when he downloads about Monk's time as manager there).

But as is often said on here, if you can't manage blind hope you shouldn't be following football. Six relatively easy points to be had in the next four days; let's go get 'em!

7 hours ago, Weshallovercome said:

Aye, it's not quite been a bed of roses has it?

i also started going in 63, don't know about you, but I hate my dad at times.

Hello mate.March 9th 1963,we beat Manchester City 4-1 and  I will never forget that day.

1 minute ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Are people being patient with Monk ?

I think most people are.......................but they will need to see a marked improvement in our APPROACH to games or things could get sticky.

If we have an attacking mindset and a recognisable shape and way of playing then the vast majority will give him time to sort out the problems with the playing personnel.

Speaking for myself I am not desperate to see Wednesday in the Premier League, yes it should be an aim but its not the be all and end all for me.
What frustrates me is that we are run in a very shabby way and the I find the football dull.
Think for the expensive tickets we are asked to pay I expect the club to be run better not like some rich mans vanity project that he has now got bored with.

14 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Are people being patient with Monk ?

I think they are, reasonably so. Fans have been voicing their concern, mainly because of the direction they can see us heading. 
As I mentioned in the other thread, we’d all want the manager to turn things around, it’s in our interests that he can do that. 
However, it’s a results business, and Monk is on the sort of run that often sees managers relieved of their position.

10 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

I think most people are.......................but they will need to see a marked improvement in our APPROACH to games or things could get sticky.

If we have an attacking mindset and a recognisable shape and way of playing then the vast majority will give him time to sort out the problems with the playing personnel.

Oh come on sheri,you know as well as i do,reading this place,there's a distinct lack pf patience with Monk.