The impatience of our fanbase

44 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

The only thing I'm impatient for is DC to see the error of his ways and start making good decisions. That means wise investments, good recruitment, trading players, and making the club more sustainable. I applaud his financial backing, but he's used it effectively. 

Don't hold your breath he's been here 5 years and things aren't getting any better.

55 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

The only thing I'm impatient for is DC to see the error of his ways and start making good decisions. That means wise investments, good recruitment, trading players, and making the club more sustainable. I applaud his financial backing, but he's used it effectively. 

Yes it’s all been a bit shamertuerish Having said that, some good signings have been made, adding to a solid base left by Gray. The biggest problem has been, many of the signings, being no better than what we had, and stock piling ageing players. That said, even wading through the cr@p, there was enough talent there to forge a side that could challenge for promotion. Of all the managers, Carlos has been the only one to do that

The impatience is understandable....and true, it goes back two decades, but the furore at the moment is the club seemingly travelling backwards.

I honestly can't see what is being built here.

Sheffield wednesday seem to make the same mistakes in different guises regarding "The match day experience" for instance...1867 tickets...10 yr 5 yr...(Might be 15yr) Season tickets

(might be a points deduction)

(might get demoted)

(In Court with EFL)

(In court with SAGS...)

Playing one up front at home....

All add to the frustration...no surprise when the fans get the hump.

The question regarding pricing..

"Why don't you get a season ticket"?

Why should anyone?...I mean we don't even know which bloody division we are gonna be in ..in all reality..

Its unrealistic.

The fact that 20 odd thousand do....is hardly respected by the club...They take it for granted....and is a massive testimony to the patience of Owls fans...So we occasionally have a go when it goes t *ts...?...Every bloody right to do so in my honest opinion

"

Edited by asteener1867

The biggest thing holding back this club is the expectations of the fans.

Be honest, and look in the mirror and ask your self this:

" When was Sheffield Wednesday a force in English football"?

Saddly the answer is 1935, when SWFC, along with Huddersfield Town dominated the English game.

Since then, we have won 1 (ONE), national trophy, in 1991. We have flattered to deceive since then.

How does that make us a 'Massive' or even a big club in any ones eye's, except for those with Blue and White eyes.

No! we, the fans have to grow up and admit that at this moment in time clubs like Villa, Norwich, WBA, SUFC, Soton etc are every much as big as us, or even Bigger, until, we the fans, accept that and lower our expectations to allow the club to grow through time, we will always be fighting amongst our selves and holding the club back.

Yes, we might have a good spell, where the fans can have short period in the sun, but it will, as always, be followed by decades in the doldrums, blaming all and sundry for our own fate.

12 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

The biggest thing holding back this club is the expectations of the fans.

Be honest, and look in the mirror and ask your self this:

" When was Sheffield Wednesday a force in English football"?

Saddly the answer is 1935, when SWFC, along with Huddersfield Town dominated the English game.

Since then, we have won 1 (ONE), national trophy, in 1991. We have flattered to deceive since then.

How does that make us a 'Massive' or even a big club in any ones eye's, except for those with Blue and White eyes.

No! we, the fans have to grow up and admit that at this moment in time clubs like Villa, Norwich, WBA, SUFC, Soton etc are every much as big as us, or even Bigger, until, we the fans, accept that and lower our expectations to allow the club to grow through time, we will always be fighting amongst our selves and holding the club back.

Yes, we might have a good spell, where the fans can have short period in the sun, but it will, as always, be followed by decades in the doldrums, blaming all and sundry for our own fate.

Sufc have not won a Trophy since God was a lad 

So we get promoted and all is well 

I was patient under  Big Jack ,At the time football  here at time was not pretty ,But we made decent signings and we had young lads coming through ,Sterland ,Smith ,Shitlifff  to name a few ,A sensible recruitment policy we did not spend what we did not have , My patience is being stretched thin with this arrogant owner of ours ,Monk is he a good manager ? ,I Will give Monk some slack ,But why can he not have his own team with him ,Why can he not have his own recruitment team with him ,And what is the point of our u23 side ,How many players come through or used , The club is going nowhere .

I’m more than happy to become more realistic and ‘just enjoy us for what we are’ - if we weren’t paying premium prices.

We pay the prices we pay cos once upon a time DC sent a survey out asking the fans what they would rather:

A: Cheap ticket prices meaning we’d have to sell our better players and replace on the cheap.

B: High end prices but we’d see our return on the pitch.

B won. But we’ve been mugged off well and truly. The players are mostly not up to it, ageing, crocked, little resale value. The ones we did spend £££ on were mostly rubbish (Abdi) - and we’ve only turned a profit on Jack Hunt and Joao.

Of course we voted B but there’s no guarantees in performance. I get it. It’s football. But the fact we’re in deep trouble with the EFL, have all the dodgy companies (DTaxis etc), sold the stadium off, got round things with sponsorship etc and STILL we were hit by an embargo and can’t spend much anymore....something went really wrong and it’s hindered our progress from losing in the Play off Semi Final. We were told that we would see a return on the pitch but clearly DC just didn’t handle the money effectively. That’s his responsibility. We held up our end and things went catastrophically wrong and we’ve gone backwards due to mismanagement.

So many clubs must earn a fraction of our income (Brentford, Millwall) but are run so much better.

I would genuinely much rather we sell the lot and start from scratch, with players properly fighting for every ball to get every point we can...even if it meant a relegation battle, and slowly build. Pay an appropriate price and have a bit of honesty and realism from the powers that be of where we stand as a club and that there’s going to be a period where we need to adjust the culture and how things are done and how we go about our transfer business. Setting a time frame on when you want promotion is always a bad idea.

Monk saying that the play offs were never an ambition was the first bit of honesty we’ve heard in ages, cos as far as I was concerned this season it was poo or bust in terms of promotion??  we’re coming to the end of DC’s 5 year plan. 

I just don’t think that the club has a clear plan or strategy and that ripples from top down to bottom. My expectations are high, but DC makes them so with how he’s talked at press conferences, meetings and statements. 

I really don’t blame the players really. They’re frustrating to watch and I don’t think half of them should be there. But I think they’ve given up, a lot have clearly had enough of this place and would likely jump at the chance to leave. The place feels toxic. We built a strong team in 2016 but slowly it’s been eaten away at in many ways and not replaced or rebuilt effectively. They’re now a first eleven of select individuals who don’t work as a team, but have just about enough quality to keep things ticking over with peaks and troughs of performances and form. That’s been the case for a while now and will be until mass changes happen.

More than happy to be patient but DC needs to talk, accept things have gone boobies up and accept portions of responsibility, and we need a clear structured plan of what the next steps are. And I’d rather those be small baby steps of repair and rebuild.

Edited by FlyingOwl

8 hours ago, SiJ said:

Sally starts thread abouts fans being impatient and having unrealistic expectations.

hirstyboywonder: I'm going to ruin this man's whole career. 

Image result for owned gif

Everyone is entitled to have a change of heart, reconsider their opinion etc. No problem with that, I was open minded about Monk and impressed with how he took to the job but have been concerned by his lack of adaptability in terms of style of play since Fletcher got injured. Lets hope there are clear signs of improvement tonight. I don't think it is an over reaction to be critical of 1 win in 8 league games considering who we have played in this spell.

It seems a bit much for someone to start a thread calling fans out for being overly critical about the manager when they too have been heavily critical.