The impatience of our fanbase

8 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Are you including yourself in this analysis of ridiculous judging?  Just wondering because in recent days in relation to Monk you have commented:

Megson had a game plan and a style of play. Dangerous from set pieces, crosses into the box. It certainly wasn’t hit and hope.
 This under Monk, well I’m not quite sure what it is at the moment. Until Fletch’s injury I thought he was building a style, but since then we’ve been absolutely lost. 

Or a man out of his depth struggling to manage this mentally weak half arsed squad? It’s a tough job for anyone, but the way he came across offered no signs of encouragement. 

I’m glad Monk has called out the players. But at the same time doing so shows he’s lost the dressing room. He sounded a man defeated and he’s only been here a few months. Worrying. 

Sounds like you are demanding more of Monk as well........

Sally starts thread abouts fans being impatient and having unrealistic expectations.

hirstyboywonder: I'm going to ruin this man's whole career. 

Image result for owned gif

20 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Speaking for myself I am not desperate to see Wednesday in the Premier League, yes it should be an aim but its not the be all and end all for me.
What frustrates me is that we are run in a very shabby way and the I find the football dull.
Think for the expensive tickets we are asked to pay I expect the club to be run better not like some rich mans vanity project that he has now got bored with.

Exactly this. 

• Like 1

I guess you're gonna get big reactions after a few loses. I'd say most are pretty patient and pick up the sense of what's going on behind the scenes, can see that even in third, it felt a really false position in that no-one could put more than 2/3 wins together and it felt like we were never the 3rd best team in the league. 

Patient, balanced threads don't generally draw much interest or reaction. Like this post will mainly go ignored, but 90% of Wednesday fans are probably quite quietly frustrated but wouldn't necessarily blame Monk for our current situation, instead would love to see/hear from the top, some long term strategy for sustained financial stability, a transfer policy that allows us to sell players, and a playing philosophy that means we only sign players that will fit in with our strategy. Brentford and Sheffield United should be our models of success to try and emulate. 

Luton 0 Wednesday 3 will cheer us all up!

28 minutes ago, BARMYARMY2010 said:

Oh come on sheri,you know as well as i do,reading this place,there's a distinct lack pf patience with Monk.

Oh yeah..........amongst a vocal few, definitely so, and i myself am starting to get a bit alarmed at our style of play (or lack of it) but like i say i think most would have a degree of patience if the team showed a positive intent................whether that happens is up to Monk really.

I think we are impatient and we have no reason to believe we "deserve" to be in the premier league. However, my impatience and frustration comes from the lack of direction this club has had for so many years. There is nothing, not a single thing, in place that makes me think we will ever improve on being a club that hovers around the championship with the threat of relegation some seasons and a hint of promotion hope in others.

We're not even remotely set up to be competitive in modern football. Even if we somehow managed to sneak up to the premier league we'd fail spectacularly due to a lack of basic infrastructure. We're stagnant as a club and it will not change unless there is a common goal between the chairman, everyone at the club and the fans. Unfortunately we've dug ourselves in to a hole over the last few years and it won't be easy to get out. With the EFL closely watching and the current rules in place we cannot spend the money and invest in an infrastructure until we break out of the rut.

It might be controversial but we need to prioritise the financial side of the club over the league we're in until we can start to invest heavily in the right places again. At best try to tread water until the club have the finances under control. Once under control, look at what would provide the best return over the long run, whether it be a director of football, updated commercial set up or coaching staff. Only then can you start looking at investing in the higher valued playing staff as you're more likely to get returns on the pitch when they are in the best environment. The success is not guaranteed but at least it'll give a chance to move up as a club.

Edited by CF_Owl

Away performances have been hit-and-miss - well, in all fairness, more hits than misses, and results-wise and often times even performances-wise, our away form under Monk has been pretty good.

Home performances though have been awful. And it's this that the vast majority of our fans see after all. We're into the 6th month of Monk's reign now, and I can only think of one home game that I've actually enjoyed, which, ironically enough was the 0-0 draw with Leeds. As for the rest, the games had at best sustained periods of maybe 20-30 minutes of decent play (Brentford), and at worst, have been dreadful from start to finish.

That's about 5 months of mostly unacceptable football, and we're getting lectured about patience. For those that are holding out and are still managing to maintain the belief that this is going in some kind of positive direction - well done; I suppose the away games muddy the waters. But though questioning the patience of those around you may seem apt, I wonder whether there's a point at which you question whether it's you that's showing too much patience, rather than others showing too little?

I agree with you Sal.

We can’t go on changing the manager every few months. A bit of stability needed.

Just look at the list of managers/head coaches over the last 15 months it’s ridiculous.
Jos, Bullen, Agnew, Bruce, Bullen (again) and Monk.

Each of these had their own way of training, playing and dealing with players. I firmly believe we need to leave Monk in charge for at least another year to bring in enough players to refresh our ageing squad. Even if it’s hard going with Monk, bringing in another manager is only likely to set us back to square one as he gets to know the players he’s lumbered with.

12 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

And this is part of the problem. The expectation we belong at the top. Football has come along way since 2000. We got left behind. We need to focus our energy on what we can do to get back there. Chucking money at it and then getting crippled by FFP whilst trying to find ways around it, will never be the answer. We gambled on that, it failed. Now we need a different plan. 

I don't expect us to be in the Premier league. 

I don't expect us to win trophies 

But what I DO expect is a team that fights to the death for the shirt, a team that never gives up, a team that the supporters can say we are proud of because they gave it their all. 

I don't that is asking too much. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I don’t know if we are that desperate for success we demand it, or we are bitterly jealous of the lot across the city or it’s the clubs fault for charging high prices and creating a level of expectation every season. 

I don’t know, but the amount of abuse directed at the manager in recent days has been ridiculous in my opinion. He might not be the next Chris Wilder or Pep Guardiola, but surely he deserves a bit more than 4 months before we judge him? He’s working with players signed by previous regimes. He’s managed to get a few loans in but they will need time to gel. The squad is tired with some players in the dressing room who have been here way too long and need moving on. He’s working under the cloud of a possible points deduction. He’s missing our best player in Fletcher and a key player who could transform our midfield in Luongo. 

Football has been pretty poor since Boxing Day. But before that we were picking up results and in some games actually played some decent stuff. It’s a process to fix the damage done at Wednesday in recent seasons. Won’t happen overnight, however frustrating that may be.

I’ve said for a couple of years now. We really need the club to come out with a realistic strategy and a bit of transparency as to where we are and the job we’ve got on our hands. Just to heal the discontent amongst the fanbase and get the fans back on side. That can’t come through Monk in a press conference when he’s clearly frustrated by the teams display. It has to come from above, a real sign of leadership. At the moment we are drifting clinging onto this dream of promotion every season. A dream that realistically ended in May 2017. Almost three years ago. 

I am in the Monk Out camp however my reasons are not just the recent slump since boxing day. My belief is that the club is in a mess from top to bottom and this summer is a massive rebuild (which im hoping is club wide not just of the first team playing squad) and I don't believe that Monk is the man for this job. The reason is that highlighted above, we need more than 'in some games'.

This squad is unbalanced past it unfit and hard to work with but... no one can say there isn't quality there. I fully expect that a good man manager could get us playing a lot better than we have all season. We lack certain areas but we could play a possession based attacking game with the players we have. Yes it might not be to the standard of Carlos's first season but with the quality of the league should be capable of having a go at getting in the playoffs. But we haven't, and we wont while Monk is in change. He is simply not the right man for the job and can see him doing the overhaul in the summer being sacked before xmas then another manager comes in who needs to do it again. Might be harsh but its my opinion. 

This is not all Monks fault but he is not blameless. The running of the club is farcical from top to bottom and as you say the lack of transparency of how and why the club is run like it is and what the aims are is appalling.

There is no joy for going to games anymore. If we got an attack minded manager in at least we would have a go. Could take up and down results if at least we were looking to win games. At the moment we are looking to stay in games. 

4 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

But what I DO expect is a team that fights to the death for the shirt, a team that never gives up, a team that the supporters can say we are proud of because they gave it their all. 

Exactly - and that has to come from the manager !

1 hour ago, BARMYARMY2010 said:

Oh come on sheri,you know as well as i do,reading this place,there's a distinct lack pf patience with Monk.

I think the heat has been turned up on the manager because of the manner of the performances, not the results.

The constant threads about his departure / who’s next are an embarrassment to those who start them.

No thought given to what he inherited and the running of the club over the last 3 years.

Until the club is being run as a business, it’s v unlikely we will be anything better than what we are. 

Midtable, with a squad of overpaid ,average players. 

21 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Sounds like you'd be happy with the return of garymegson then?

Knew you'd come round eventually!

lol

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Markowski77 said:

He just isn’t the man for the job - the players haven’t had a clue where they are playing the last 3 games , tactically all over the shop 

I find it bizarre that players forget how to play football when a new manager comes in.

Sure a manager may tinker with the style of play, like get it forward more quickly, or push it to wings etc.

But why would they not know what their basic role is and this is the thing, they are not doing their basic roles well at the moment.

13 hours ago, Hughdowd said:

I’m in my late fifties and one thing I’ve always been proud of at Wednesday are our supporters.... I love the loyalty we show ... especially away from home...we are a passionate loyal army of fans that deserve better.....The fans will always be there...if not in person at the match ...in spirit willing us to win .....We will always be there waiting for something or someone to make it happen .......So individuals like chansiri... monk...the players ...if they can’t make it happen...can do one and go as far as I’m concerned ..........because in 10/20 years time they will have gone ....and we will still be supporting Wednesday .... will they ????..........Wednesday till  we die ...that’s us 

Thank.....you.....for.....your......thoughts.....

• Haha 1

The lack of patience in getting a PL club is justified after 20 years.

However, they are blaming the wrong man in Monk.

The heartbreaking thing is that 20 years after relegation and the club still lacks leadership and Direction.

No strategy on recruitment

No youth player sold for decent money since Mel Sterland.

Commercially a mess.

No strategy to cope with FFP.

A stadium that is falling apart.

Etc Etc