Best opposition player/team you've seen at Hillsborough

7 minutes ago, Greengrass said:

Certainly not the best player, but the applause SWFC fans gave Dion Dublin when he played his last game for Norwich.

Dublin mentioned that on a radio show a few years ago...He said he expected just to applaud the Norwich fans, and was flabbergasted as the whole crowd stood

I think team wise, Watford have turned up a couple of times with the likes of Abdi, FF etc. and taken us apart, and I remember Bournemouth absolutely murdering us a while back. 

Player wise, Abraham has already been mentioned, as has Knockaert, but I also remember Marvin Sordell once absolutely taking us apart for Charlton a few years back 

20 hours ago, Blatter said:

Mid 60’s Manchester United with forward line containing Best Law and Charlton.

Best game Wednesday v that great team not sure if it was ‘65 or 66.

Raucous Capacity crowd of 55,000 fully behind the home team. 

(Me on the Leppings Lane Terrace with mates. No crowd segregation and no problems getting in or out)

We take early lead. Jack Whitman has a blinder.

We win 5-4. The best game ever. The most wonderful feeling that day. Big drinks that night.

1968 that was , Blatter.  Best game of football ever to not have the TV mob there. Jack Whitham usually played a blinder too. Loved the guy to bits and was distraught when Shanks? took him to liverpoo. Absolutely delighted when he came back though. If it hadn't been for his persistent injuries he would have been spoken of as one of THE great strikers of all time. R.I.P. Jack Whitham.

1 hour ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

I brought two mates to that game, both Everton fans. Lee Briscoe never stood a chance

Ditto, we were building up to the game at school, they took me to goodison for the first game which I think was a 2-2 draw, but then Andrei murdered us at home, honestly he could've scored 5 or 6....unplayable

1 hour ago, asteener1867 said:

Dublin mentioned that on a radio show a few years ago...He said he expected just to applaud the Norwich fans, and was flabbergasted as the whole crowd stood

I'm not surprised we applauded him, we needed to win that game to stay up and Norwich treated it like a testimonial with Dublin playing up front (he had been at centre back all season owing to the fact his legs had gone). Think we were 4-1 up at the time.

• Like 1

I could mention quite a lot of the players who have already been named in this fred; however, a certain Kevin Keegan when he played against us in a cup match for Scunny gave us an absolute lesson in football that day. (Or tore us a newaresholeas they say in modern parlance, FFS )

Saw Greavesy a couple of times too. Absolute animal of a forward. 

Ogrizovic for Coventry gets in just because he was the only player in the whole of football who thought he could score from 100 yards against Hodgy. The twohat did. FFS.

And when L@@ds gave us a tonking at Hillsbourough it was really a Sheffield Wednesday v Sheffield Wednesday match IIRC.

When we discussed this subject some time ago I nominated our own Jordan Rhodes for Huddersfield in that crazy 4-4 game.

Casting my mind back to the 90s I seem to remember a game at Hillsborough when Wimbledon gave us a thumping and Warren Barton of all people played an absolute blinder popping up all over the pitch and generally causing havoc. On the strength of that display I put him in my fantasy football team and entirely predictably he was poo . 

1 hour ago, oldowl67 said:

When we discussed this subject some time ago I nominated our own Jordan Rhodes for Huddersfield in that crazy 4-4 game.

Casting my mind back to the 90s I seem to remember a game at Hillsborough when Wimbledon gave us a thumping and Warren Barton of all people played an absolute blinder popping up all over the pitch and generally causing havoc. On the strength of that display I put him in my fantasy football team and entirely predictably he was poo . 

stan collymore and Kenwyn Jones before we borrowed him

On 17/12/2019 at 20:10, Burnsie said:

The premiership days are a little bit of a distant memory for me... 

So player it would be one Mr J Rhodes playing for Huddersfield when he scored four.

Team, tough one. I think we played Watford and got absolutely dicked on on a cold Tuesday night, lost 0-4/5 or sommat. 

fizz me I didn’t think how much your generation had suffered. Jordan Rhodes best player to visit Hillsborough FFS. 

1 hour ago, Pale Rider said:

fizz me I didn’t think how much your generation had suffered. Jordan Rhodes best player to visit Hillsborough FFS. 

Mate, I'm in my mid 30s.... Just can't remember some of the performances against us in when I was a teenager

Guest Willow Owl

Paul Canoville Chelsea - ( Owls 4 Chelsea 4 ) Came on as half time sub, We were winning 3-0 and ripped us apart.

Michael Owen - hat trick, pace and finishing was different class.

Team- Everton when they scored 5 in cup. What a side that was.

15 hours ago, cognacbarnowl said:

1968 that was , Blatter.  Best game of football ever to not have the TV mob there. Jack Whitham usually played a blinder too. Loved the guy to bits and was distraught when Shanks? took him to liverpoo. Absolutely delighted when he came back though. If it hadn't been for his persistent injuries he would have been spoken of as one of THE great strikers of all time. R.I.P. Jack Whitham.

I didn't know jack whitham was dead  ...when did that happen ?