Best opposition player/team you've seen at Hillsborough

When Barcelona signed Argentinian forward Diego Maradona in 1982, Spanish league restrictions meant Simonsen was to compete with Maradona and Bernd Schuster for only two places allowed for foreign players in each starting line-up. Simonsen saw it as a personal insult, and asked Barcelona for his contract to be annulled.[8] He made a shock move to English Second Division side Charlton Athletic for £300,000 in October 1982.[13] He rejected offers from Real Madrid and Tottenham Hotspur, in order to play for a club with less stress and attention.[8] Despite scoring nine times in 16 appearances, the club had trouble funding his transfer and wages after three months, and he was put up for sale.[13] Simonsen then chose to return to his childhood club VB in 1983.

• Like 1

Have to say I thought Tammy Abraham looked like something very special when we played Bristol City a couple of seasons back. Remember him bullying both Lees and Loovens that night. 

Suppose when most of the games you watch/remember are in the Championship, you are looking at those players who go onto become top players. 

On 17/12/2019 at 22:09, wilyfox said:

Kanchelskis. Owen. Could name a few. Alan Shearer & Ian Wright always caused us problems too. Mark Hughes made us look soft at times as well. 

I hated watching mark hughes (regardless of who he played against) all that holding defenders shirts and treading on toes.  The game was a fair bit 'tougher' back then and players were openly hard in the tackle and often equally open in fouling other players (accepting their punishment like men) so hughes aproach of being snidy/sneaky (always getting away with it) wasnt cricket as far as i was concerned. For me hughes goes down in history for different reasons, things that i don't admire him for at all. 

30 minutes ago, Owls s18 said:

Allan Simonsen for Charlton on New Year’s Day 1983 .

He was the current European player of the year (no idea how charlton got him ) 

but he tore us apart in front of a big crowd !

He'd been European Footballer of the Year in 1977, he wasn't the current one. Then he finished 3rd for 1983 after leaving Charlton that summer and going back to Denmark.

I remember him being bloody good that day though - but Steve Gritt stole the show! And that "big crowd" on 3rd January was less than 12k...

10 minutes ago, alanharper said:

He'd been European Footballer of the Year in 1977, he wasn't the current one. Then he finished 3rd for 1983 after leaving Charlton that summer and going back to Denmark.

I remember him being bloody good that day though - but Steve Gritt stole the show! And that "big crowd" on 3rd January was less than 12k...

Hmm dodgy memory from me but New Year’s Day was on the Saturday so Monday the 3rd was a bank holiday (although not for the firm I worked for and I nearly got the sack for going to the match! ) 

if the crowd was only 12k then they must of all been on my part of the kop ! 

Guest wilyfox
26 minutes ago, Anlaby Owl said:

I hated watching mark hughes (regardless of who he played against) all that holding defenders shirts and treading on toes.  The game was a fair bit 'tougher' back then and players were openly hard in the tackle and often equally open in fouling other players (accepting their punishment like men) so hughes aproach of being snidy/sneaky (always getting away with it) wasnt cricket as far as i was concerned. For me hughes goes down in history for different reasons, things that i don't admire him for at all. 

Yes, he was a dirty player. But that was my point. He made us look too soft in dealing with him, and caused us lots of problems. 

7 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Yes, he was a dirty player. But that was my point. He made us look too soft in dealing with him, and caused us lots of problems. 

It was the start of the 'fergie time' type decisions at the time.  Any other team with a player who performed in that way would have been crucified but because it was the darlings of the tv companies it rarely got mentioned and referees were also inclined to ignore it. Its funny how cheating has changed in public perception.  I remember that incident at leeds where our striker clearly dived in the box (im sorry i cant remember his name) and there was prolonged outrage from the sports media.  Today it would barely get mentioned. 

On 19/12/2019 at 10:09, torryowl said:

I didn't know jack whitham was dead  ...when did that happen ?

On 19/12/2019 at 10:15, OxonOwl said:

WikiP seems to think he is alive and is 73

Apologies to everyone, especially Jack Whitham. Seems I was grossly misinformed during a conversation with a fellow owl last year who told me he had passed on a few years ago. 

Guest Bulgaria

Went to reserve game when we were playing man utd and a certain Paul Scholes was in their team.

He was brilliant and made the other 21 players look like school kids.