Best opposition player/team you've seen at Hillsborough

On 17/12/2019 at 20:52, Anlaby Owl said:

John barnes and that dalglish liverpool side.  Thrashed us 5-0 and from memory i think barnes played as a central striker that day.  We werent a bad side at the time but liverpool were sublime. 

This was the first game that came to my mind.

Last game of the season, at Hillsborough. They just completely outclassed us and won 5-1. Beardsley and Barnes were on a different planet.

I seem to remember a similar game some years later when Michael Owen (probably in his first season) was simply devastating.

I also remember George Best scoring two late goals to beat us in a night match at Hillsborough - he made it look so easy.

• Like 1

On 17/12/2019 at 20:22, torres said:

Ruud Gullit, a midweek game against Chelsea.

Best player on the pitch and hardly broke sweat 

I think this was my first ever game

On 17/12/2019 at 21:11, peacock1961 said:

Maybe showing off here, but I think I should have won the night. 

Pele and George best. Downside is that I'm that old I've not seen any better and I was at junior school when it happened. 

Go on beat that. 

I think you won the night too. On a global level and over an extended period of time Pele had no peers. On that day at Hillsborough he wasn't great. Best was always imperious at our place and for a few seasons was the greatest player on the planet. No ifs no buts.

On 17/12/2019 at 20:10, Burnsie said:

The premiership days are a little bit of a distant memory for me... 

So player it would be one Mr J Rhodes playing for Huddersfield when he scored four.

Team, tough one. I think we played Watford and got absolutely dicked on on a cold Tuesday night, lost 0-4/5 or sommat. 

The 5-0 thumping from Liverpool sticks in the mind, but Dalian Atkinson was unplayable when he came back with Villa.

George Best,he was some player,always played well at hillsborough too,superlatives are often used to describe him and all are accurate.

Even our own fans loved watching his skills and applauded him,I once sat a row behind three teenage girls with owls scarves on and they screamed and stood up when he was on the ball or used some of his magic,twas like being at a beatles concert,long day,great game as well

Edited by legendaryswan

Brian Little put in a great performance for Villa when they secured promotion last game of the season in a 4-0 win.

WBA's Brown score a 30 yard volley in either a 2-1 win or 2-2 draw. Can't remember.

The day we beat Everton 5-1 was something different. Daren Ferguson dominated us from long crosses into the box. I think he won everything and hit woodwork at least 4 times.

Barnsley Ronnie Glavin and Chesterfield Ernie Moss both dominated us in games yet we ran out 3-1 and 4-1 winners respectively.

Cassidy and Keegan destroyed us in the FA cup. Prendergast minute 1 to put us in front but the rest of the game was torture as Scunthorpe put us out of the cup.

Just a few of the memorable games from the past. 

On 17/12/2019 at 22:37, Ian said:

Bryan Robson in the New Year’s Day game at Old Trafford that we won 2-1....first season I was old enough to appreciate the premiership and Robson’s intensity was something else

Their CM duo that day was Robson and Remi Moses....their tackling was unreal. Fast and viscous.

Never forget Varadi’s bullet-header winner if I live to be 500.

• Like 1