Best opposition player/team you've seen at Hillsborough

16 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

For Boro? I think I remember the game you are thinking of. He tore us apart that evening.

Yeah it was the first time they got relegated from the Prem (in the 2000’s). Might’ve even been under Southgate!

Think we took the lead through Varney early on, then Johnson turned it on and tore us to pieces every time he got the ball.  

Edited by NeonLeon

Craig Johnson ripped us apart for Liverpool, then was dropped the following week in the Cup final.

Les Ferdinand was unstoppable for QPR

but my vote goes to Malcom Macdonald for his hat trick when we lost 5 0 at home to Luton.

Edited by marconi

23 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

This game has always stood out for me and in particular that Friio fella and if I can remember correctly Plymouth brought between 2/3000 fans for a midweek game. Plymouth gave us a footballing lesson that night. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/3191682.stm

4 players in that Plymouth squad went on to play for us not so long after that. 

1 hour ago, torres said:

Ruud Gullit, a midweek game against Chelsea.

Best player on the pitch and hardly broke sweat 

I was at both games against Chelsea that season and he absolutely bossed them both, sheer class and a joy to watch, even though he went off injured well before the end at their place.

Ironically despite his dominance both games finished 0-0. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Genuinely Rhodes and Forestieiri. 

Rhodes scores 4 against us, he was absolutely lethal that day. Forestieri for Watford, I think they hammered us. Remember Bothroyd blazed one over from 5 yards out in added time and we all lost it with him. FF was incredible that night for Watford. 

Ironic how they both became Wednesday players. 

I remember that Watford game, I think we lost 4-1, Forestieri was unplayable

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Remember seeing a young Bale for Southampton and thinking he was pretty special going forward. 

Couldn't defend for sh*t though as he was playing left back at the time. 

Believe I was there for the Kanchelskis game (5-2?), though i was bit too young to appreciate how good he was. 

Strangely, Kieran Trippier stands out playing for Burnley several years ago. Looked so much better than pretty much everyone else on the pitch. 

Mid 60’s Manchester United with forward line containing Best Law and Charlton.

Best game Wednesday v that great team not sure if it was ‘65 or 66.

Raucous Capacity crowd of 55,000 fully behind the home team. 

(Me on the Leppings Lane Terrace with mates. No crowd segregation and no problems getting in or out)

We take early lead. Jack Whitman has a blinder.

We win 5-4. The best game ever. The most wonderful feeling that day. Big drinks that night.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sibon said:

Andrei Kanchelskis ripped us apart in the mid 1990s. Scored a fabulous hat trick. That was the single, best performance I think I've ever seen.

He got applauded off - sometimes you just have to accept it

Though prefer it when the likes of Dion Dublin scored a hat trick and we still won

50 minutes ago, Beighton Owl 87 said:

4 players in that Plymouth squad went on to play for us not so long after that. 

Think you're on to something here. We like to think of the scouting operation being some sophisticated operation with thousands of players logged and watched all over the world.

But in reality maybe the scouts only remember the players who did well against us... Rhodes, Forestieri, George Boyd, etc. always seemed to score against us.

And Reading signed João after he scored a great goal past them.

Lets hope Forest have £10m burning a hole in their pocked in January...

25 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Remember seeing a young Bale for Southampton and thinking he was pretty special going forward. 

Couldn't defend for sh*t though as he was playing left back at the time. 

Believe I was there for the Kanchelskis game (5-2?), though i was bit too young to appreciate how good he was. 

Strangely, Kieran Trippier stands out playing for Burnley several years ago. Looked so much better than pretty much everyone else on the pitch. 

Weird innit how you picture people in your mind? I had you down as in your 50s. 

• Haha 3