Best opposition player/team you've seen at Hillsborough

Valentines day 1998, Michael Owen hat-trick, standing ovation from South stand on way off pitch. Went on to do something at world cup 1998, rest is history. Was 12 at the time. Last 20 years has been S*** in comparison.

Edited by tarn owl
  • Like 1

Only been to games 2003 onwards...so not got a lot to pick from.

A young Adam Johnson tore us apart playing for Boro.

Rhodes in the Huddersfield 4-4 game was the best striker performance I’ve ever seen live. 

Anthony Knockeart always looked good and destined for bigger things than he’s probably achieved. 

Normally though the only individual players I notice having a ‘great game’ for the opposition is the keeper.

Dan Bentley for Brentford, now of Bristol, is up there in recent years. 

In terms of the best side I’ve seen come to Hillsborough. The Plymouth team that Sturrock got promoted before he went to Southampton and then came to us, that team should have gone on to do bigger things but got dismantled. 

Edited by FlyingOwl

59 minutes ago, FlyingOwl said:

In terms of the best side I’ve seen come to Hillsborough. The Plymouth team that Sturrock got promoted before he went to Southampton and then came to us, that team should have gone on to do bigger things but got dismantled. 

We were shíte at the time but that Plymouth team was class. Ripped most teams in the league a new one if I remember rightly. Sturrock was great but the football we played under him was always a bit stodgy in comparison to what we’d seen his Plymouth team do. 

On the subject of those bleak years... Rodney Jack always had a stormer against us. Sheridan bossed the game when we played Oldham too, although he didn’t move out of the centre circle

Ryan Giggs is up there. I remember the game at Hillsborough the season we were relegated. We only lost 1-0 but every time Giggs got on the ball they looked dangerous and you realised how quick he was when you see him live.

That Manchester United side is probably the best team I’ve seen at Wednesday too. Neville, Irwin, Stam, Keane, Scholes, Beckham, Giggs, Sheringham and Yorke were all playing that night and they’d just won the treble the year before.

18 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Player: Michael Owen or Alan Shearer

Team: Arsenal under Wenger always put the fear of God into me...until we dicked them 3-0 in the cup, anyway!

Arsenal never actually beat us at Hillsborough under Wenger. They’ve not won at Wednesday since 1993.

We played Wenger’s Arsenal at Hillsborough five times, winning three and drawing two.

They were more of a bogey team for us under George Graham.

Agree on Shearer, the best English centre forward I’ve seen and he scored five against us in one game.

• Thanks 1

A bit of a daft one but I remember the promotion season from League One and we had won something like 7 in a row at home at the beginning of the season. We played Brentford and they had a big CB with a hairband in....Miguel Llera - he was solid that day and almost scored for them and it finished 0-0

No wonder Megson signed him after that

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, nilsson said:

Arsenal never actually beat us at Hillsborough under Wenger. They’ve not won at Wednesday since 1993.

We played Wenger’s Arsenal at Hillsborough five times, winning three and drawing two.

They were more of a bogey team for us under George Graham.

Agree on Shearer, the best English centre forward I’ve seen and he scored five against us in one game.

Well I never! That's impressive.

They still scared the crap out of me.

:duntmatter:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Well I never! That's impressive.

They still scared the crap out of me.

:duntmatter:

Considering Arsenal and Man U were the best two sides in the country in the 90s we had a good record against both at Hillsborough.

We did take some beatings at Highbury and Old Trafford though

WTF:

1 hour ago, nilsson said:

Ryan Giggs is up there. I remember the game at Hillsborough the season we were relegated. We only lost 1-0 but every time Giggs got on the ball they looked dangerous and you realised how quick he was when you see him live.

That Manchester United side is probably the best team I’ve seen at Wednesday too. Neville, Irwin, Stam, Keane, Scholes, Beckham, Giggs, Sheringham and Yorke were all playing that night and they’d just won the treble the year before.

Giggs for me is one the most overlooked players in history, when he was the mood, which was often, he ripped teams apart and gave his fellow attackers so many options one of them couldn't fail to score.

Edited by Inspector Lestrade

7 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Giggs for me is one the most overlooked players in history, when he was the mood, which was often, he ripped teams apart and gave his fellow attackers so many options one of them couldn't fail to score.

Add to that he made his Man U debut at 17 and was still playing for them aged 40. 

Nearly 24 years playing for the same club right at the highest level. Definitely one of Britain’s greatest footballers.

It’s a shame he’s probably more known now for shagging his brother’s wife

1 minute ago, nilsson said:

Add to that he made his Man U debut at 17 and was still playing for them aged 40. 

Nearly 24 years playing for the same club right at the highest level. Definitely one of Britain’s greatest footballers.

It’s a shame he’s probably more known now for shagging his brother’s wife

Can't argue with any of that.  Sad that he played for the third horriblest club in the country.  

44 minutes ago, crag the owl said:

Many moons ago Kanchelskis tore us a new un. 

Remember a young Gareth Bale running a game from left back for Southampton. Could see right away he was special. 

Shezza bossing the game at Hillsborough for Oldham. Don’t think he left the centre circle. 

That Kanchelskis game was the first time I had seen Wednesday lose.

I've been going since 1991 and must have gone about 60 games without seeing us lose until they beat us 5-2.

Edited by jonnyowl