Best opposition player/team you've seen at Hillsborough

Guest wilyfox

Kanchelskis. Owen. Could name a few. Alan Shearer & Ian Wright always caused us problems too. Mark Hughes made us look soft at times as well. 

1 hour ago, torres said:

Ruud Gullit, a midweek game against Chelsea.

Best player on the pitch and hardly broke sweat 

This one for me too. Perfect performance by a legend and made it look so easy, simple movement and passing left us chasing shadows that game. Probably the best player I have seen live on that performance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Genuinely Rhodes and Forestieiri. 

Rhodes scores 4 against us, he was absolutely lethal that day. Forestieri for Watford, I think they hammered us. Remember Bothroyd blazed one over from 5 yards out in added time and we all lost it with him. FF was incredible that night for Watford. 

Ironic how they both became Wednesday players. 

That's the game I was talking about. Bothroyd missed late. It was so poor that the whole kop (those that were still there) gave the biggest ironic cheer you've heard

10 minutes ago, RichSheffWeds said:

Everton smashed us at Hillsborough in mid eighties. Think it was a night match. 

It was 4 or 5 nil from memory.

Player, so many but Owen at full speed was unplayable running at defenders. 

Wasn’t copying you. You beat me by minutes!

Remember Linekar’s bullet distance header top corner?

Owen in the 3-3 draw

Fulham under Keegan battered us.....also 3-3

Alan Knight had one outstanding game for Portsmouth against us

Bryan Robson in the New Year’s Day game at Old Trafford that we won 2-1....first season I was old enough to appreciate the premiership and Robson’s intensity was something else

Michael Owen’s hatrick in the 3  - 3 draw versus Liverpool was awesome. I wouldn’t have wanted to be John Newsome that day. If he hadn’t had the problems with his hamstring he’d have broken loads of goal scoring records. 

The next one won’t be popular but I can’t remember feeling more battered after seeing us lose 7 -1 versus the title winning Leeds side. To make matters worst we had a very handy team ourselves, but couldn’t touch them that day.

Although it pains me to say it I have seen some ruthlessly efficient Leeds performances at Hillsborough.... the Gray brothers, Alan sneaky Clarke and Frank Elvis Worthington.

i remember Worthington doing an incredible ball juggling routine in front of the North Stand before kick off. His football shorts looked like white satin hot pants and he was proper showing off... booting the ball twenty feet in the air, catching on the back of his neck , letting it roll down his spine and back flicking it up again.

I tried it when I got home and gave myself mild concussion.

• Haha 2

Michael Owen

Jurgen Klinsmann

Paul Gascoigne

Ian Rush

John Barnes

Stan Collymore

Are the ones that spring to mind.

Also i have a few random ones that stick in the memory for some reason  ......Ian Crook for Norwich and Mark Draper for Leicester in the 80,s / 90,s both came to our patch and ran the game single handed, David Speedie also seemed to have a worldie everytime he played against us in that period.

Going back to the 70,s Barnsley,s Ronnie Glavin always looked like Iniesta when he came to Hillsborough.

And a certain one legged John Sheridan for Oldham, albeit at a time when we were beyond awful.

Team wise the two merseyside teams from the 80,s take some beating.