Best opposition player/team you've seen at Hillsborough

Tammy Abraham when we beat Bristol other year 3-2. 18 year old playing upfront on his own away from home against one of the best defences in the league and he had Lees and Hutchinson in his back pocket. If Tomlin let him have the penalty it could have been a very different night. 

Michael Owen hat trick for Liverpool in a 3-3 draw in the 1990’s I think? I also saw him score 6 for England schoolboys v Belgium at Home Park, Plymouth a couple of years before that. A great striker who should have been at the top of his game a lot longer but for injuries.

Bobby Charlton, George Best and Denis Law were all pretty good too...saw them play at Hillsborough a few times. Charlton never seemed to have a bad game ever, so consistent and always went forward with passes or driving runs from deep. Bobby Moore had some good games at Hillsborough too, West Ham were a team full of great footballers at that time. Didn’t mind losing to any of those teams but hated Arsenal.

Unfortunately I can't really remember the Prem years, so my list of players for the Championship/League 1.

Tammy Abraham - When he played against us for Bristol he was brilliant, quick, powerful, good in the air and skillfull, a complete ST.

Liam Bridcutt - When he was at Brighton he was brilliant, so composed, broke everything up and looked a class apart.

Mile Jedinak - Looked brill in CDM when he was playing at Palace.

Ivan Sunjic - Thought when we played Birmingham the other week he was the best player on the pitch.

As for team i'd say Bournemouth the year they went up, came to Hillsborough mid-week and played us off the park.

For me would be the 3-3 Draw against Liverpool in Feb 98. Owen was too quick for Des that day, shame we couldn't hold on at 3-2 my dad took that at something silly like 33/1 or 40/1 & was fuming after it. Great game though. 

Always remember the Mancs had that aspect where they could go through the gears against us, though they never did that well in the games I went to despite their personnel. 

3 hours ago, Woodseats Owl said:

August 2003 v Oldham Athletic at home, a 38 year old John Sheridan, he was superb that day, ran the midfield.

Remember that game well. He didn't even break sweat. Pretty much stayed in the centre circle. Stayed on the pitch after the final whistle and got a standing ovation

For one season, it looked like Kevin Phillips was going to be a real world beater. Sunderland came to Hillsborough towards the end of the 99-00 season (the season we got relegated from the PL) and Atherton and Walker had kept Phillips and Niall Quinn quiet for almost the whole 90 minutes. With a few minutes to go, Phillips then swivelled onto the ball 20-odd yards out and hit a curler that Adam Reach would have been proud of. He then he scored again a minute or so later with a tap in. We lost 2-0. Phillips got 30 goals that season which won him the Golden Boot but he never reproduced that form in an England shirt.

However, the best player I have seen consistently over a number of seasons would be Bobby Moore. His vision, passing, tackling and ability to read the game was amazing. Every time the ball dropped in the opposition half, he seemed to be there sweeping up, looking around and making the killer pass (as he did in the World Cup Final when he sent Hurst on his way for his hat trick). He could match any striker for pace and was pretty good in the air, too, and he did all this at the highest level.

13 hours ago, Burnsie said:

That's the game I was talking about. Bothroyd missed late. It was so poor that the whole kop (those that were still there) gave the biggest ironic cheer you've heard

Only game i have ever left before the final whistle. Well i left my seat before the final whistle but as every other person on the north had the same idea i was probably still in the ground when the whistle went. 

Southall

Ogrizovic, saved everything, coventry were a bogey team, he even scored!

Kanchelskis for everton, we clapped him on north for a hat-trick i think, he clapped us back

Collymore, forest hat-trick

Gazza for spurs