The January window

The frustration is that we apparently don't have a clue when the EFL might make a decision and how long the process is going to take. 

Which means we don't know if we are chasing promotion, consolidating, fighting relegation etc. And any potential recruits wouldn't know either.

I suppose if we have claimed the charges we face are unlawful, the EFL first and foremost have to prove that they are before any sort of hearing takes place?

That said it’s disgusting that the EFL can bring charges against one of their members and sort of fiddle around while Rome burns for as long as they like while said club has a black cloud hanging over them all through the season rather than sorting it out within 2 weeks-month since the charges were brought?

Personally I think the speed of how the EFL deal with things sort of works in our favour as we arguably try to discredit the EFL over how they are dealing with our P&S issues? I wouldn’t be surprised if this drags on into the summer?

Edited by Great Big Galaa

2 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

It all depends on what were allowed to do by the EFL.

Lets just say until they decide how to proceed going forward all is normal and we have no restrictions:

Contracts..... certain contracts have to be renewed.... Dawson, Wildsmith, Hutchinson, Penney Forestieri (yes I know this is going to cause argument, but we cannot allow a sellable asset to leave for free. He's 29, not done it for a while but hasn't had the chance this season. He needs that but If he gets it and takes it then we start negotiating with him he can a, screw us over and leave for nothing or b, demand more money. tie him down for another year now then take it from there). This just makes business sense. The others can still earn them Fletcher is doing as great job at this.

Selling. Literally everyone at the club is for sale at the right price. We cant be picky if there is any interest in any of our players we have to consider it. It has to be good business for the club which we have a poor record of under DC.

Buying. We need 4 new players at least IMO. 2 full backs one right and one left. Another winger. and most importantly a center forward. Myself I think we need two but there is no way unless we get players out that we can get 5 players in January. Who is up for debate but myself I would want a pacey striker AND Conor Wickham.

FF and Wickham? Your placing our hopes on a pair of players who have played about 20 games between them over the last 2 years. We need to stop living in the past, forget about players like that it’s not 2016 anymore.

2 hours ago, The only way is S6 said:

Release anybody who contributes nothing; Rhodes, Winnall, FF etc.

Free their wages up & any transfer fee. Go & get Toney from Peterborough.

Business done, close window. 

One problem. We would have to pay their contract up (unless they mutually agreed, but still could cost us). Therefore you don't save anything on wages.

3 hours ago, Jakes Grandad said:

One of the questions is. How long are the EFL going to take to sort all this out?

It's not about selling players to balance the books now, we are charged with fiddling the books to make it look better. If they have evidence and want to go through with it why drag it out?  

There are some we need to sell as quick and soon as possible and replace with younger more hungry players. 

Biggs said something similar I was reading yesterday. 

I'll try find the link, but basically saying if both parties have there evidence for and against as it seems they really should be sorting a court date out as soon as possible, allowing us to plan for whatever the outcome in the January window.. 

There are so many variables we don't have a clue about but if we could make signings then I think we mainly need another playmaker. All the best teams seem to have 2 playmakers City with De Bruyne and Silva, Leicester with Madison and Tielemans etc I think that is what we need, somebody with Bannan. Then a striker to compliment Fletcher to knock them in. However I think the playmaker is the 1st priority as we don't make many chances for our attack.

26 minutes ago, 1993swfc said:

I wouldn’t do too much permanent business in January. I think getting 2 strikers out and 2 strikers in on loan is the best shout. 

The January window is probably the best time to get loans in. 

Before the season some  players will want to stay and fight to get into the side, by January a few managers have changed, players are out of favour and you can possibly get some real gems that have been sat kicking their heels in the (reserves).. I'd let 2/3 go and see who we can get in incoming bids permitting. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Mr. Chow said:

A right back and and striker with pace 

We'd need to get rid of at least 1 of each first. Especially rb,if you included iorfa we've Palmer, Baker, odd-job, whilst still having iorfa and in emergency these days Lee who can cover there. 

I know our options at right back are a bit weak, but we/Dc needs to stop hoarding players as its one of the reasons for all this P&s debacle. Its a similar situation with the strikers too, we need to offload before bringing anyone else in. 

Edited by shezzas left peg

1 hour ago, shezzas left peg said:

I'll try find the link, but basically saying if both parties have there evidence for and against as it seems they really should be sorting a court date out as soon as possible, allowing us to plan for whatever the outcome in the January window.. 

With the holidays, that is unlikely to be before the window opens. Therefore we need to act fast to bring the squad up to scratch, so as to give us the best chance of overcoming any possible points deduction Waiting to see what happens would be a crazy thing to do, as it could result in us getting relegated, with all the complications that would bring, much lower revenue, even smaller FFP limits and so on. Bringing in players before any embargo can be announced, may not sit well with the EFL, but then neither will us fighting the charges. Having decided to go down that route, we must make sure we can delay things long enough to make sure we are fully prepared for any outcome. Buying time is not such a sin, it’s exactly what Barcelona and the 2 Madrid clubs did. With unrest building over the issues of FFP, any delay could work in our favour. Even if it does not, we will be better equipped to play through any embargo It’s time for the club to be proactive on all fronts

2 hours ago, shezzas left peg said:

Nothing legal happens quickly.

7 minutes ago, A12owl said:

The truth of the matter is that nobody including EFL know what will happen including what we are supposed to have done to breach any of their daft rules .

In the words of you know who message to EFL...Lets get sanctions done.

The club need to get on with the season with a full knowledge of what punishment (If any) we are going to be stuck with.

No doubt it will be dragged on as DC contests and appeals against the sanctions.

2020 promises to be even more interesting than 2019 and 2018 and 2017 and 2016 ad infinitum. 

Exactly, and the club has no control as to the outcome We need to mitigate against this to make sure the squad is robust enough to deal with any docking of points Not holding our hands up, may not help us avoid sanctions in the long term, but it does buy us time to prepare The worst thing we could do, would be to fight it and expect it to be overturned. 

I'm not sure the pending EFL action should affect our business. DC is adamant we've done nothing wrong so until a hearing and/or subsequent court process, we carry on as normal.

We make the necessary improvements to the squad in the best interest of the club, not that I think major business is prudent during a january window, when choice low and prices high. 

I'm not sure the EFL would attempt another embargo given DC's stance on the current charges. The EFL have restricted our competitiveness enough over recent windows and DC would be justified to go on the offensive against EFL if so. 

Edited by striker

20 hours ago, N0rtherner said:

Get a new RB at least.

With regards to embargo and FFP down the line, maybe a EFL will take a softer stance if they see us offload 1 or 2 of our better players that we can get high fees for, i.e. trying to comply with their flawed regulations.

Just struggling with who I'd be least disappointed to see go at the moment. Possibly Reach if he could get us anywhere around 10, seeing as we got Harris and Murphy (just a loan and nowhere near Reach/Harris quality). Could we get a good deal on Westwood? With Dawson covering during his injury, I haven't missed him as much as I did before, although he's natural in the starting line up when fit.

I'd hate to lose one of our best performers currently, Iorfa, Harris, Bannan, etc.

Why when we are screwed would we get a right back when iorfa, Palmer and Moses can play there. Silly decisions like that got us into this mess.  

a good deal on Westwood ? The guy is 35 , dropped and has been playing dreadful. Who in the right mind is going to offer money for him? I’m pretty sure monk would happily offload on a free transfer but again on what planet would any club be interested