The January window

Not sure about incomings but our squad is still too big and needs trimming in advance of any arrivals - a few different options and possibilities to reduce include:

Send back:

- Bates: Injuries and bad luck means he’s likely 5/6 choice CB. Surely we don’t need to be topping up his salary to be so far down pecking order.

- Murphy: weird one as when he seems on it, he’s absolute class. But that’s 1 in 5 and when he’s not it’s like carrying an u18 player. Hugely disappointing as I really thought he’d set the league alight and be our standout player. 

Loan out/Sell:

- Winnall: thought he’d get chances and score goals this season, i was wrong and he needs moving on by loan or full transfer

- Rhodes: as above 

- Thorniley: Similar to Bates he’s way behind others and could do with game time. Loan him out as I think he’s one for future

- FF: Think he could get sold for small fee with him seemingly needing a new challenge. 
 - Wildsmith: needs games so loan him out. 

I’d be planning for next season. 10-12 point deduction likely later this season.  

Sell Iorfa for £15m in January (about time we got smart about milking an opportunity)

Plan our strategy for bringing players in the summer.

Clear out some high earning deadwood at end of this season.

If Monk can bring in 4 of his own players and the recruitment is as smart as Harris, Borner, Luongo etc, we can have a real go at promotion next season. 

Edited by RichSheffWeds

Guest wilyfox
49 minutes ago, RichSheffWeds said:

Sell Iorfa for £15m in January (about time we got smart about milking an opportunity)

Been thinking about this since rumour emerged last week. I'd keep him and assess in summer. Not sure a move at this time would be in his or our best interests. He's our first choice centre-half now. Has made himself vitally important to the team.

For the first time in his career he's getting a runout at centre-half. Does he wanna jeopardise that so soon by moving to a prem club again where he may not play? His value has grown exponentially in 3 months. Keep playing and learning, it'll increase further. Now is not the right time to part.

2 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Been thinking about this since rumour emerged last week. I'd keep him and assess in summer. Not sure a move at this time would be in his or our best interests. He's our first choice centre-half now. Has made himself vitally important to the team.

For the first time in his career he's getting a runout at centre-half. Does he wanna jeopardise that so soon by moving to a prem club again where he may not play? His value has grown exponentially in 3 months. Keep playing and learning, it'll increase further. Now is not the right time to part.

We might get more for him in the next window than we would in the summer. It depends on how desperate clubs are.

Guest wilyfox
5 minutes ago, prowl said:

We might get more for him in the next window than we would in the summer. It depends on how desperate clubs are.

Could say that about any transfer ever. It's not just about the money. Don't believe the timing is right for him or us. We'll see.. 

2 hours ago, james o connor said:

Why when we are screwed would we get a right back when iorfa, Palmer and Moses can play there. Silly decisions like that got us into this mess.  

a good deal on Westwood ? The guy is 35 , dropped and has been playing dreadful. Who in the right mind is going to offer money for him? I’m pretty sure monk would happily offload on a free transfer but again on what planet would any club be interested 

Come on, Westwood made a mistake or two but he's been far from dreadful. Whether it's injury keeping him from coming back or that he's dropped, I don't know, Dawson deserved a shot.

As for right back, out of those you mention, everyone is complaining that neither Palmer or Odubajo are good enough. The latter has made far too many mistakes and has too few defensive qualities for RB spot; yes, he's offering more going forward, but ultimately, I want a full back who can defend and who doesn't give away dangerous free picks, penalties, etc.

Iorfa is a possibility, but the objection of many on here was that he's currently having a terrific season in CB spot so why would you change that? In the thread about Moses, I was asking (without getting any replies) whether Ash Baker could do a job for us in RB spot. Alongside seasoned back three of Lees/Iorfa, Börner, Fox, one younger player in the mix wouldn't be too bad. This is hypothetical where both Moses and Palmer are unavailable, which seems to be the case just now. Moses suspended and Palmer with some light injury after his suspension?

That's why I'm thinking we could do with an RB... I'm not happy with either Palmer or Odubajo and figured Iorfa is not going out on the flank, apparently Monk has said so too.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, N0rtherner said:

Come on, Westwood made a mistake or two but he's been far from dreadful. Whether it's injury keeping him from coming back or that he's dropped, I don't know, Dawson deserved a shot.

As for right back, out of those you mention, everyone is complaining that neither Palmer or Odubajo are good enough. The latter has made far too many mistakes and has too few defensive qualities for RB spot; yes, he's offering more going forward, but ultimately, I want a full back who can defend and who doesn't give away dangerous free picks, penalties, etc.

Iorfa is a possibility, but the objection of many on here was that he's currently having a terrific season in CB spot so why would you change that? In the thread about Moses, I was asking (without getting any replies) whether Ash Baker could do a job for us in RB spot. Alongside seasoned back three of Lees/Iorfa, Börner, Fox, one younger player in the mix wouldn't be too bad. This is hypothetical where both Moses and Palmer are unavailable, which seems to be the case just now. Moses suspended and Palmer with some light injury after his suspension?

That's why I'm thinking we could do with an RB... I'm not happy with either Palmer or Odubajo and figured Iorfa is not going out on the flank, apparently Monk has said so too.

Palmer will slot back in, and that solves the right back problem. I’ve only seen Ash Baker once, in that home game against Norwich, where he looked OK going forward, but was absolutely ran ragged by Hernandez that day. The feedback I’m getting, is that he won’t make the grade We do have a promising young right back in Dawodu though. He’s been injured I believe, but people I know who watch games at that level, suggest that he might well break through. I seriously wouldn’t worry too much about the right back situation. Palmer is proficient, we have adequate cover in Odubajo, and at a push, Iorfa, plus we seem to have good options coming through Other areas are more concerning

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, casbahowl said:

All speculation and hope, just like any football fans anywhere.

Not ITK at all but a Che Adams family member said to a group of us last night that talks of a loan move to us have been ongoing for a couple of weeks now. Could be summat or nowt but he seemed genuine.

That would be a smart move TBH.

4 hours ago, wilyfox said:

Nice idea but unfortunately our club is in a complete financial mess from those running it and not having a bloody clue what they are doing.

If someone offers us £10m for a player that costs us £500k a year ago then he will be sold only a muppet would turn it down and hope for more in the future.

The same mistakes were make on Fessi, Lees, Bannan, Forestieri, Rhodes and all we have now is more players on big money that will be leaving on free at the end of their contracts.

As I said previously Fessi need to rediscover some consistency and form, what other player are we going to sign for £1.5m (salary and fee) that is better than a fit Forestieri I cannot think of one in the English league unless we can get Maddison for a cheap fee.

But what we should do as a club is be looking for more Iorfa's decent experienced younger players with 6 months of their contract left that we can either sign in January or get for nothing in the summer, the only problem with waiting though is we could be under a ban and unable to sign players like 2 season ago.

For me reshape the team in January, get rid of what we don't need or want on fees/loans, sign a few what we need, if we get big offers for our better players these offers need to be considered as we have proved very good players can be signed for £500,000.

A few players in the last 6 months of their Contract (this season stats)

Jackson Irvine - CM (20 games, 1 goal , 3 assists)

Neeskens Kebano - RW (3 games, 1 assist)

Stephen Kingsley - LB (5 games)

Jed Wallace - RW (19 games, 8 goals, 5 assists)

Declan Rudd - GK (21 games, 28 goals conceded, 4 clean sheets)

Lyle Taylor - ST (8 games, 5 goals, 1 assist)

Jordan Ibe - RW (4 games) 

Jonathon kodjia - ST (2 games, no goals)

Karl Darlow -GK - (no games)

Many of the above are good championship players or player at premier league teams not getting game time but would improve our team, Should Westwood go in the summer Darlow would be a great replacement and playing regular one of the best keepers in the league, we need a striker in January why not Kodjia not getting a game at Villa and out of contract in the summer.

This is the way I hope we recruit instead of spending £4m on a foreign defender we have never heard of now playing in the German second division. 

Guest wilyfox
Just now, room0035 said:

A few players in the last 6 months of their Contract (this season stats)

Jackson Irvine - CM (20 games, 1 goal , 3 assists)

Neeskens Kebano - RW (3 games, 1 assist)

Stephen Kingsley - LB (5 games)

Jed Wallace - RW (19 games, 8 goals, 5 assists)

Declan Rudd - GK (21 games, 28 goals conceded, 4 clean sheets)

Lyle Taylor - ST (8 games, 5 goals, 1 assist)

Jordan Ibe - RW (4 games) 

Jonathon kodjia - ST (2 games, no goals)

Karl Darlow -GK - (no games)

Many of the above are good championship players or player at premier league teams not getting game time but would improve our team, Should Westwood go in the summer Darlow would be a great replacement and playing regular one of the best keepers in the league, we need a striker in January why not Kodjia not getting a game at Villa and out of contract in the summer.

This is the way I hope we recruit instead of spending £4m on a foreign defender we have never heard of now playing in the German second division. 

Hull have an option on Irvine's contract.

Ibe is a mess at the moment. Due back in court February.

Aston Villa are keen on Jed Wallace.

..and we don't need a goalkeeper. 

13 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Hull have an option on Irvine's contract.

Ibe is a mess at the moment. Due back in court February.

Aston Villa are keen on Jed Wallace.

..and we don't need a goalkeeper. 

Irvine has been very poor this season, so they may not renew 

36 minutes ago, meggoisgod said:

Surely its business as normal until someone tells us otherwise?

I don’t know, think we have to prepare for the worst If we sell our better players to get nearer to FFP compliance, but still get an embargo and a points deduction, then we’re screwed

Guest wilyfox
2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Irvine has been very poor this season, so they may not renew 

I bet they will. He's a good player and Hull are cost-cutting. They ain't gonna let him walk. It'll be a repeat of Henriksen; they'll exercise the option, try and get him to sign a new deal, or sell with one year remaining if he won't.