The January window

How do we approach this, assuming we have a choice? Do we preempt an expected transfer ban by bringing in the players to see us through, or do we show we are trying to comply, by selling our better players?

I think it has to be the former, balancing the squad will give us the best chance of offsetting any points deduction We could sell our better players and still be hit by a points deduction, and a lengthy ban If we can bring in the players that address the shortcomings of the squad, we may avoid relegation, and although we may still be under an embargo, will have a balanced squad to make a challenge next season 

This will also effect our thinking when it comes to decision making about the players who will be out of contract Of course, it may be out of our hands by then

• Like 1

Get a new RB at least.

With regards to embargo and FFP down the line, maybe a EFL will take a softer stance if they see us offload 1 or 2 of our better players that we can get high fees for, i.e. trying to comply with their flawed regulations.

Just struggling with who I'd be least disappointed to see go at the moment. Possibly Reach if he could get us anywhere around 10, seeing as we got Harris and Murphy (just a loan and nowhere near Reach/Harris quality). Could we get a good deal on Westwood? With Dawson covering during his injury, I haven't missed him as much as I did before, although he's natural in the starting line up when fit.

I'd hate to lose one of our best performers currently, Iorfa, Harris, Bannan, etc.

Don't think we could attract any ' known' players, if say they had a choice between us and any top 6 team.

Except by paying over the top wages..and so the big wheel keeps on turning.

What would DC do, if say someone came in for fletch at say £6 / £10m...or maybe bannan...

My guess is he would say no thanks..

One of the questions is. How long are the EFL going to take to sort all this out?

It's not about selling players to balance the books now, we are charged with fiddling the books to make it look better. If they have evidence and want to go through with it why drag it out?  

There are some we need to sell as quick and soon as possible and replace with younger more hungry players. 

1 minute ago, Jakes Grandad said:

One of the questions is. How long are the EFL going to take to sort all this out?

It's not about selling players to balance the books now, we are charged with fiddling the books to make it look better. If they have evidence and want to go through with it why drag it out?  

There are some we need to sell as quick and soon as possible and replace with younger more hungry players. 

This, it’s the fact that it will likely be an embargo AND a points deduction. Even the EFL surely wouldn’t expect us to sell and pretty much accept relegation We have to avoid that at all costs, so we need to keep our better players, and look to trade some of those we don’t want Our biggest asset in this situation, is that we may be able to buy time to make sure we are in the best position to ride out any punishment. 

Don’t think we’ll be under Embargo until the EFL charges are examined fully. 
Do as much as possible in January before it happens.
Forward line and central midfield need younger fresher players capable of playing at high intensity twice a week.

Can't say I've spent much time considering FFP however I don't see what we do now has any impact on the decision the EFL make in due course. 

We are accused of a breach of regs for a particular period of time which we dispute, what we do out of the time period of the suspected breach is surely another matter. Just my opinion. 

1 minute ago, deano said:

Can't say I've spent much time considering FFP however I don't see what we do now has any impact on the decision the EFL make in due course. 

We are accused of a breach of regs for a particular period of time which we dispute, what we do out of the time period of the suspected breach is surely another matter. Just my opinion. 

For example we could make 15m in player sales in January, it wouldn't be a defence or indeed mitigation for a suspected breach out of the current time period. 

It all depends on what were allowed to do by the EFL.

Lets just say until they decide how to proceed going forward all is normal and we have no restrictions:

Contracts..... certain contracts have to be renewed.... Dawson, Wildsmith, Hutchinson, Penney Forestieri (yes I know this is going to cause argument, but we cannot allow a sellable asset to leave for free. He's 29, not done it for a while but hasn't had the chance this season. He needs that but If he gets it and takes it then we start negotiating with him he can a, screw us over and leave for nothing or b, demand more money. tie him down for another year now then take it from there). This just makes business sense. The others can still earn them Fletcher is doing as great job at this.

Selling. Literally everyone at the club is for sale at the right price. We cant be picky if there is any interest in any of our players we have to consider it. It has to be good business for the club which we have a poor record of under DC.

Buying. We need 4 new players at least IMO. 2 full backs one right and one left. Another winger. and most importantly a center forward. Myself I think we need two but there is no way unless we get players out that we can get 5 players in January. Who is up for debate but myself I would want a pacey striker AND Conor Wickham.

36 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

How do we approach this, assuming we have a choice? Do we preempt an expected transfer ban by bringing in the players to see us through, or do we show we are trying to comply, by selling our better players?

I think it has to be the former, balancing the squad will give us the best chance of offsetting any points deduction We could sell our better players and still be hit by a points deduction, and a lengthy ban If we can bring in the players that address the shortcomings of the squad, we may avoid relegation, and although we may still be under an embargo, will have a balanced squad to make a challenge next season 

This will also effect our thinking when it comes to decision making about the players who will be out of contract Of course, it may be out of our hands by then

If as the club say we have nothing to answer for then I expect playing coming both in and out, nothing will be decided by the EFL for at least 2 or 3 months as they simply are that slow, so for me go out and build a team for promotion.

Players that have barely played need selling or sending out on loan, 

Sell Pelupessy, Winnall, Rhodes, Baker (if we can find any body to take them)

Loan out Wildsmith, Hunt, Thorniley

Send Bates back to Germany as he has not played a single game.

Players in: a left back, central midfielder with passing ability and a quick striker. we don't need much, I would also look at getting Chong from Man Utd as Murphy on the whole has been very poor.

Renew contracts for Fletcher, Fox, Hutch, Forestieri and Dawson then the rest for me can leave unless they prove by the end of the season they are worthy of a new deal, but no deals just because we have had them a long time ala Nuihu he simple keeps showing he is not good enough for this level.

I suspect we will be under an embargo by then which may entail one in one out. 

If not we should try to move on Rhodes, Winnall and entertain bids for Iorfa , FF and Reach if the money is good.

We should look to loan some good young PL talent like Angel Gomes of Man Utd and perhaps Che Adams from Southampton. 

Come summertime the squad needs another refresh with players like Lees, Bannan, Hutch Lee and Westwood moving on. 

Give GM a chance to shape his team. We can't wait for the EFL to make a decision. They're actually coming under alot of scrutiny at the moment. If they really hammer us that could bring them some more bad publicity (Bolton and Bury)  and they wouldn't like that.

Surely the EFL can’t stop us doing whatever we want in Jan as the haven’t passed sentence yet? Saying that though, it’s probably not wise to rub their noses in it.

Didn't Birmingham go and spend 2-3 million on a LB called Pedersen whilst under an investigation/embargo? Think that lead to their 9pt deduction though.

1 minute ago, Junk Smuggler said:

Surely the EFL can’t stop us doing whatever we want in Jan as the haven’t passed sentence yet? Saying that though, it’s probably not wise to rub their noses in it.

Didn't Birmingham go and spend 2-3 million on a LB called Pedersen whilst under an investigation/embargo? Think that lead to their 9pt deduction though.

My understanding is that Birmingham were under an embargo at the time, as far as we are aware we are not. 

Looking at it logically. If we put the ground sale in the correct years accounts we don't have a problem. Last year was actually a profit so we won't be docked points and we might have money to spend because we had money from Bruce and the sale of Lucas J.

If we put the ground sale in the wrong year we are screwed for last year and will get hammered by a points deduction but this year should be ok because the ground sale will be in this years accounts plus money for Brice and Lucas J.

Worst ways we might have to manage on a few frees or loans in the next window but should be ok in the summer.

(OK I'm a glass half full type.)

Think Winnall could do with going and playing games, either permanent or loan. Likewise, a loan for Thornily would be good. 

We desperately need some reinforcements up front, a loan makes more sense in the January window. Someone like Che Adams if possible. 

We still need pace up front, which should be an important criteria. 

I dont think we need to, or ought to go mad, but could do with an addition in attack.