The January window

there’s effectively 4 games until the transfer window opens, then we have 10 days to bring players in before the huge game at Leeds. Being in the playoffs can be a big help in attracting players so if we can maintain our form through these next 4 games we should be around 3rd place. Exciting times, until next Sunday 

Bristol city (H)

Stoke (A) 

Cardiff (H)

Hull (H) 

Chansiri needs to think that whats done is done. Its likely to be minimum of an embargo as punishment. Therefore all players who are out of contract at the end of the season and are wanted by swfc to stay need to put pen to paper. The players likely to leave or not wanted need replacing before any embargo. 

Then we need 2 or 3 good young iorfa type finds. If we can get a couple of loan options as well to cover the positions we would be left light. Without Harris we dont have a like for like replacement. His position is very important for us. Forest game a prime example of how we can play with good quality crosses and passes into the box for Fletcher and Rhodes. I think we seen the best of ff. Might be time to sell. Although we wont get much for him. I don't think he the same player of 3 or 4 seasons ago. Hate to say it but i think it's probably time. 

2 hours ago, hirstys_achilles said:

Chansiri needs to think that whats done is done. Its likely to be minimum of an embargo as punishment. Therefore all players who are out of contract at the end of the season and are wanted by swfc to stay need to put pen to paper. The players likely to leave or not wanted need replacing before any embargo. 

Then we need 2 or 3 good young iorfa type finds. If we can get a couple of loan options as well to cover the positions we would be left light. Without Harris we dont have a like for like replacement. His position is very important for us. Forest game a prime example of how we can play with good quality crosses and passes into the box for Fletcher and Rhodes. I think we seen the best of ff. Might be time to sell. Although we wont get much for him. I don't think he the same player of 3 or 4 seasons ago. Hate to say it but i think it's probably time. 

We need a fast striker, another target man, and a few more midfielders

Defensively I think we’re sound 

29 minutes ago, TodwickOwl said:

We need a fast striker, another target man, and a few more midfielders

Defensively I think we’re sound 

Agree our goalkeepers and defenders are good enough for a top 6 side this season. Just need a couple more options in midfield and attack and try and send surplus players back or sell/loan them out 

So we have been strongly linked with several forwards now, Che Adams, Lyle Taylor, Jonson Clarke-Harris and Bez Lubala, so it looks as if we might want to make a couple of additions up front. That means, 2 or 3 we would try to get out. The obvious candidates are Rhodes and Winnall, but maybe Forestieri as well, although he isn’t really considered a striker

Guest wilyfox
2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

So we have been strongly linked with several forwards now, Che Adams, Lyle Taylor, Jonson Clarke-Harris and Bez Lubala, so it looks as if we might want to make a couple of additions up front. That means, 2 or 3 we would try to get out. The obvious candidates are Rhodes and Winnall, but maybe Forestieri as well, although he isn’t really considered a striker

Adams would be ideal but the sums involved would be obscene, and that's if they let him out. I'm not convinced they will. Too soon to deem him not good enough there. They should work with him and replace Shane Long with someone ready-made to partner Ings.

Lubala, I suspect is agent talk linking player with his former manager. Clarke-Harris would be a good understudy to Fletcher. We can't flog him 3 games a week like we are. He'll need protecting. I wouldn't wanna add another striker turning 30 in Taylor. Decent or not, he'll expect the biggest contract of his career for a short-term solution.

Of that lot I'd sign JCH, move Winnall & FF, then assess Rhodes' form over the coming weeks. 

Just had a couple of Bristol Rovers supporting mates text me about Jonson Clarke Harris it's all over the Bristol news that us and Reading plus Hull are after him. Rovers at the moment are flying high in the league and are on a bit of a cup run so may try to keep hold of him but can't compete with the bigger clubs. They will be gutted if he goes but said you can see he could move up a level. They have no manager at the moment so that could play a part in it. Would be a good replacement if we need to rest Fletcher but not sure how much he'd cost. Scores goals but has a few injuries along the way.

48 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Adams would be ideal but the sums involved would be obscene, and that's if they let him out. I'm not convinced they will. Too soon to deem him not good enough there. They should work with him and replace Shane Long with someone ready-made to partner Ings.

Lubala, I suspect is agent talk linking player with his former manager. Clarke-Harris would be a good understudy to Fletcher. We can't flog him 3 games a week like we are. He'll need protecting. I wouldn't wanna add another striker turning 30 in Taylor. Decent or not, he'll expect the biggest contract of his career for a short-term solution.

Of that lot I'd sign JCH, move Winnall & FF, then assess Rhodes' form over the coming weeks. 

Reading between the lines, we are probably looking for 2 A Fletcher type, Taylor, Clarke-Harris, and probably one that can run in behind, Adams, Brewster or Lubala. Would think our best chances are, Clarke-Harris and Lubala 

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Reading between the lines, we are probably looking for 2 A Fletcher type, Taylor, Clarke-Harris, and probably one that can run in behind, Adams, Brewster or Lubala. Would think our best chances are, Clarke-Harris and Lubala 

Last night on tv it said Villa were after Brewster who's out injured at the moment good player can't see us getting him.

Guest wilyfox
3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Lubala is a winger. Brewster more likely heading to Rangers or Swansea. Adams possibly on loan if Rhodes departs. Depends on him, if he recovers value and attracts interest - and whether he wants to turn it around here or make a fresh start elsewhere. 

The Rhodes transfer is a tricky one if you would of said to me a couple of weeks ago he's going I would of been jumping for joy now though I don't know after his goals at the weekend could we now have the real Jordan Rhodes on our hands he looks a lot fitter now and looks more interested in playing for us as I said tricky one as looks like a promising partnership growing with fletch.

Don’t think we need loads of bodies. Would rather concentrate on 1 or 2 quality additions. Che Adams would be ideal on loan - pace and power. I don’t know how realistic this is tho. I think it’s highly unlikely but if saints go in for a top striker to ensure premier league survival and they are happy for 1 to go out on loan, you never know.

Edited by Bouncing Owl

We have never been in all honesty very busy in January and I don’t expect that to change this season. Before players come in then I suspect players will have to leave first.

I think Norwich will come back in for Rhodes but whether or not we’ll let him go probably depends on the next 5 or 6 games. 

Rowett will probably try and get Winnall and I could see Pelupessy going back to Holland before his contract runs out.

As for players coming in I’d like to see a more mobile striker plus maybe a pacy winger to take the pressure off Harris. As for some saying we need an understudy to Fletch to protect him, I think Monk will persevere with Nuhiu.

Edited by Great Big Galaa

On 12/12/2019 at 10:03, sherlyegg said:

Don't think we could attract any ' known' players, if say they had a choice between us and any top 6 team.

Except by paying over the top wages..and so the big wheel keeps on turning.

What would DC do, if say someone came in for fletch at say £6 / £10m...or maybe bannan...

My guess is he would say no thanks..

If we could get 6million for Fletcher at his age I would grab it. He is important to the team but time is not on his side.

3 hours ago, Great Big Galaa said:

We have never been in all honesty very busy in January and I don’t expect that to change this season. Before players come in then I suspect players will have to leave first.

I think Norwich will come back in for Rhodes but whether or not we’ll let him go probably depends on the next 5 or 6 games. 

Rowett will probably try and get Winnall and I could see Pelupessy going back to Holland before his contract runs out.

As for players coming in I’d like to see a more mobile striker plus maybe a pacy winger to take the pressure off Harris. As for some saying we need an understudy to Fletch to protect him, I think Monk will persevere with Nuhiu.

Although, didn’t we sign Rhodes, Winnall and Fox in January? Perhaps that is good enough reason to be more cautious That some of these leaks appear to have substance, we can assume that a forward is a priority Not sure what to make of the Rhodes situation, one swallow and all that His bad games for us outnumber his good games, by about 50-1 

His hat trick was timely though, whatever happens